U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,394 times

Advertisements

I am a single female with two kids.I will be working in the Flatiron district for the summer. I have never been to NY and am a little nervous about living there. We have been offered a place to live located near the Horace Mann Private School in the Fieldston area of the Bronx. My questions are: is this area safe for me and my kids? and what form of transportation do you recommend to get to and from the Flatiron District every day with two kids (and is it safe at night)? do you recommend any other areas? We greatly appriciate any advice.

Last edited by rk321; 05-30-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 05:35 PM

3,887 posts, read 8,414,504 times
Fieldston is perfectly fine.

To get to the Flatiron district, the BxM3 express bus is the easiest way: http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm3cur.pdf

It's $5.50 per trip and brings you directly into the Flatiron District. A weekly pass is $50, and it's also valid on the local buses and subways (and Bee-Line Bus as well. Plus NICE bus in Nassau County if you ever wanted to go out there for some reason.)

You can also take the (1) train from 242nd Street down to 96th Street, transfer across the platform to the (2) or (3) (since they're express, they'll speed your trip by a few minutes). Take the train to Times Square, and then transfer to the (N) or (R) to 23rd Street.

I can't picture you having any real problems on the subway, even at night.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,394 times
checkmatechamp13...Thank you for this info...very useful.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM

9,039 posts, read 22,269,889 times
Fieldston is not just fine,it's one of the nicest residential areas in the whole city and is a very safe area.

I thought about buying an apartment across the street from Horace Mann on Cayuga Avenue and one of the great things about that spot is that it is very close( about 3 blocks) from the last stop on the 1 train @ 242 Street.Very little of Riverdale is so close to a subway stop.

So,you will also have the option of using the subway because the 1 train will take you to 7th ave and 23rd st which is only a few blocks from the Flatiron district.The train would take about 45 minutes,runs very frequently,is quite safe and costs about 1/2 of the express bus.I think the subway might actually be a bit faster than the "express" bus too, though only by 5 or 10 minutes.

Anyway, at least you will have a choice.My guess is that the flexibility of the subway schedule will win out in the end as the express busses don't run all that frequently.

This is what the neighborhood looks like:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4452+T...onNEWpMOs7cvdA

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=4621+w...61.97,,1,-8.39

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-31-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 07:05 PM

9,855 posts, read 23,734,532 times
Please don't take this the wrong way. I guess you were thrown off by the Bronx address. How could one of the more exclusive areas of the city be in the Bronx you might have thought. Well it is. You have nothing to worry about.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way. I guess you were thrown off by the Bronx address. How could one of the more exclusive areas of the city be in the Bronx you might have thought. Well it is. You have nothing to worry about.
It's OK.It's the native and long time NY'ers who know nothing about The Bronx that bug me.She at least has the excuse that she has never even been to NYC before.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,148,585 times
bluedog you came close to living right down the street from me

Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM

12,344 posts, read 24,140,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Fieldston is not just fine,it's one of the nicest residential areas in the whole city and is a very safe area.

I thought about buying an apartment across the street from Horace Mann on Cayuga Avenue and one of the great things about that spot is that it is very close( about 3 blocks) from the last stop on the 1 train @ 242 Street.Very little of Riverdale is so close to a subway stop.

So,you will also have the option of using the subway because the 1 train will take you to 7th ave and 23rd st which is only a few blocks from the Flatiron district.The train would take about 45 minutes,runs very frequently,is quite safe and costs about 1/2 of the express bus.I think the subway might actually be a bit faster than the "express" bus too, though only by 5 or 10 minutes.

Anyway, at least you will have a choice.My guess is that the flexibility of the subway schedule will win out in the end as the express busses don't run all that frequently.

This is what the neighborhood looks like:
4452 Tibbett Ave,bronx,ny - Google Maps

4621 waldo Ave,bronx,ny - Google Maps
Beautiful.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
bluedog you came close to living right down the street from me
Well,it still could happen some day ! I really like that area and the building the apartment was in.Cayuga Avenue is on a hill and the elevator of the building goes down 3 floors below the lobby and opens up down the hill right across the street from the subway station ! So the residents take the elevator from their floors right down to Broadway and have a key to call the elevator and bring them up into the building when they are coming home ! They call it "the rabbit hole"
In the end I decided that Riverdale wouldn't work right now because it would have made a complicated commute for me and also because it was a little too quiet over there.But I joke with all my friends that I might retire to Riverdale and buy an apartment on Cayuga Ave with the rabbit hole elevator.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 31,148,585 times
i know that building i think it rises over the Burger King and can be seen from the street. getting off the topic, the 1974 movie "The Seven Ups" has a brief scene filmed in the "White Tower" fast food restaurant which is now the Burger King. i'm guessing you work on the E side of manhattan since you mention taking the 5 train downtown in the past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City