Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 12:44 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, I am confident you don't know what contradiction means....which is sad, makes having any form of rational conversion with you useless.
A conversation about what? That you disagree with the Mayor's proposed +16oz limit, but that you do want a +16oz limit imposed? Yes we know, you keep repeating the contradiction over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

And even if it were, my arguments would remain the same. Even if it were well intentioned, it would still be an intrusion on the liberties and freedomk of choice of Americans. { NY'ers }
Just curious, were you commenting on the reply I made to Kal?

I agree it's a pure intrusion and it doesn't matter what the intent behind it is. But I was just pointing out that there's lots of people buying into the disguise mayor mike dressing his proposal in.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:33 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
how many of you actually drink 16oz sodas?? A lot of posters are acting like an arm is being taken away. The government already passed the patriot act so your rights were taken away a long time ago. Laws are being passed right now that affect everyone here and across the country but no one even knows about them.

At least Bloomie had the balls to outright say what he was planning on doing instead of creating a 10,000 page document that no one wants or will ever read. 2 liter, 3 liter sodas will still be available at your grocery stores, bodegas, and supermarkets so you can get your soda on.
Seriously? You're comparing fighting terrorism with not being able to get a 20 oz soda??? The PATIOT Act is not limited to NYC, you do realize that? What other states do not let you buy a 20 oz soda at a fast food restaurant? And maybe your wonderful mayor should realize that drinking a 16 oz or 20 oz soda really doesn't make much of a difference when you're scarfing down a Big Mac or Double Whopper. How about we stop these chains from creating larger and more unhealther burgers? Really, do we need a triple bacon or quadruple patty burger? I'd rather have a 20 oz diet coke with my salad

Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
I just saw this on the train lol. Sorry I couldn't get the whole ad in the pic, I was in a hurry. Not certain what it was for:

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Seriously? You're comparing fighting terrorism with not being able to get a 20 oz soda??? The PATIOT Act is not limited to NYC, you do realize that? What other states do not let you buy a 20 oz soda at a fast food restaurant?
They actually do have the "big brother" government in common, just applied to different things.

Quote:
And maybe your wonderful mayor should realize that drinking a 16 oz or 20 oz soda really doesn't make much of a difference when you're scarfing down a Big Mac or Double Whopper.
Mike knows. The profit margin on fountain drinks is much higher than the fast food items. He's just following the money to claim a slice of it, and doesn't really care about obesity or that his ban steps all over personal liberty.

Quote:
How about we stop these chains from creating larger and more unhealther burgers? Really, do we need a triple bacon or quadruple patty burger? I'd rather have a 20 oz diet coke with my salad
IF there's a consumer demand for them, they will make them.

Ever have a chicken salad at chick fil a? I love those, recommend them most highly.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:19 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
They actually do have the "big brother" government in common, just applied to different things. I know but you can't take the 2 and silo them. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Mike knows. The profit margin on fountain drinks is much higher than the fast food items. He's just following the money to claim a slice of it, and doesn't really care about obesity or that his ban steps all over personal liberty. How is he going to claim it if he's banning it?

IF there's a consumer demand for them, they will make them. There's a consumer demand for a 20 oz fountain drink which is no where as near unhealthy as one of those multilayer burgers or a 1000 calorie Big Mac.

Ever have a chicken salad at chick fil a? I love those, recommend them most highly.
Next time I see a Chick Fil A, I will stop and have one

Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I just saw this on the train lol. Sorry I couldn't get the whole ad in the pic, I was in a hurry. Not certain what it was for:
Where's your buddy urban this afternoon? (LOL) He still sleeping or out pioneering north Brooklyn?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
Where's your buddy urban this afternoon? (LOL) He still sleeping or out pioneering north Brooklyn?
I guess he's busy formulating his newest creative explosion that I'll get "served" with at some point. However I don't know if that stop sign analogy can be topped.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Next time I see a Chick Fil A, I will stop and have one
Last I checked we don't have one in NYC (crying shame, I digress), but if you're traveling around and stumble across a chik fil grab a salad to go.

Ok that's making me hungry....

Quote:
I know but you can't take the 2 and silo them. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

You can if you're illustrating the gestalt- problems of having an omnipotent government that doesn't recognize individual sovereignty or constitutional rights. It's just another arm of the same monster.
How is he going to claim it if he's banning it?
It's a ban enforced with a fine as far as I've read in the press releases. Instead of being shut down or carted off to jail they slap you with a fine. Depending on how much the fine is (I am trying to get an actual copy of Mike's proposal to find out how much it would be) and if fountain sodas are a large portion of your profit, it might make more financial sense to pay the fine and continue to sell the "banned" sizes. That way Mike get's his money for the city while looking like he's an anti-obesity crusader.
There's a consumer demand for a 20 oz fountain drink which is no where as near unhealthy as one of those multilayer burgers or a 1000 calorie Big Mac.
It's up to the individual to decide what their personal limits are just as it's up to the companies to respond to consumer demand.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
We do have a chik-fil-a in the city at NYU

New York University Chick-fil-A: New York, NY 10003
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City