Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 04:02 PM

71 posts, read 149,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Sign a release from such handouts and services because of your "freedom" to drink 30 ounces of corn oil a day, and nobody will care. THAT IS FREEDOM...you can't have it both ways. Which is it?
And if you ARE willing to sign a release... is there an actual system in place for that? No?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 09:40 PM

288 posts, read 717,187 times
"It would limit food service establishments in the city from serving drinks bigger than 16 ounces but would allow refills."

Refills :-) I guess they think New Yorker's are too lazy to get up and refill their drink. But doesn't this also mean they are too lazy to exercise?!

Health panel talks about wider food ban - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnTraveler View Post
"It would limit food service establishments in the city from serving drinks bigger than 16 ounces but would allow refills."

Refills :-) I guess they think New Yorker's are too lazy to get up and refill their drink. But doesn't this also mean they are too lazy to exercise?!

Health panel talks about wider food ban - New York News | New York Breaking News | NYC Headlines
So essentially, the servers will be more annoyed at the guy that sucks down 16 oz cups like it's nothing. And there are plenty of places that already have smaller cups to reduce waste. What exactly is the point of this ban?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
This ban is not meant to solve every problem with obesity, nor is it meant to solve every eating behavior. It is a STEP towards making us healthier, much like the STEP of expanding bike lanes, much like the STEP of eliminating transfats, much like the STEP of reducing sodium, much like the STEP of eliminating smoking as much as possible, much like the STEP of planting 1 million trees, and on and on and on.

None of these by themselves do anything, but each STEP, and in conjunction with other initiatives DOES make a difference. Why is this so hard for anyone to understand? They are so busy harping on one thing, and they are missing the bigger picture.

I doubt most people can put all the pieces together to understand the larger picture, but the reality is these are all working together to help us be healthier. THAT IS IT. Why would anyone fight this?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
So I read this thread while drinking pop straight out of a 2 liter bottle and smoking a cigarette.

Bloomberg and other nannyist b.sers can go suck a tail pipe.

Remember liberals, "my body my choice". Right? RIGHT?!!?!?

Old 06-14-2012, 08:54 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This ban is not meant to solve every problem with obesity, nor is it meant to solve every eating behavior. It is a STEP towards making us healthier, much like the STEP of expanding bike lanes, much like the STEP of eliminating transfats, much like the STEP of reducing sodium, much like the STEP of eliminating smoking as much as possible, much like the STEP of planting 1 million trees, and on and on and on.

None of these by themselves do anything, but each STEP, and in conjunction with other initiatives DOES make a difference. Why is this so hard for anyone to understand? They are so busy harping on one thing, and they are missing the bigger picture.

I doubt most people can put all the pieces together to understand the larger picture, but the reality is these are all working together to help us be healthier. THAT IS IT. Why would anyone fight this?
I've got a question for you--well, maybe more than one: do you really think it's the government's job to make us healthier if we aren't doing it on our own? If that was the case, why aren't there laws banning the manufacture (and sale) of unhealthful products in the first place? Don't put the burden on the people; put it on the producers!

This isn't very different from saying that you shouldn't drive a gas-guzzling car. If gas-guzzling cars are so terrible, why are they permitted to be manufactured in the first place?

You can wrap it all in high-minded language, but at least here in NYC the real problem is that our Mayor just likes telling people what to do.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:14 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I've got a question for you--well, maybe more than one: do you really think it's the government's job to make us healthier if we aren't doing it on our own? If that was the case, why aren't there laws banning the manufacture (and sale) of unhealthful products in the first place? Don't put the burden on the people; put it on the producers!

This isn't very different from saying that you shouldn't drive a gas-guzzling car. If gas-guzzling cars are so terrible, why are they permitted to be manufactured in the first place?

You can wrap it all in high-minded language, but at least here in NYC the real problem is that our Mayor just likes telling people what to do.

I agree.

If all the things that are so bad for us, then make them illegal so the people will not buy them, or don't allow them to be made in the first place. Soda is supposed to be so bad, yet it is made and sold all over the place.

If smoking is supposed to be so awful, then why are cigs made and sold all over the place....doesn't make sense. It's like make cigarettes, and have them to be sold in all these bodegas or whatever, but then they dont want you to smoke...so if you dont smoke why make them to be sold.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:28 AM

71 posts, read 149,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So I read this thread while drinking pop straight out of a 2 liter bottle and smoking a cigarette.

Bloomberg and other nannyist b.sers can go suck a tail pipe.

Anyone who criticizes this guy/girl for this post is a nancy boy.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:29 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post

It's OK to have a donut Fred.....so all is well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City