Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,949 times

Advertisements

I'm a female in my early 20s and I'll be transferring to Brooklyn College in the fall for my junior year. Right now I live with my parents in central Long Island, but I need to move into my own apartment before I start at BC in the fall. I want a place with an easy commute to Brooklyn College, but I also have a part-time job in Huntington I'll need to commute to 2-3 days a week (and for this reason I'll also need to keep my car). Can anybody recommend some areas of Queens or Brooklyn (or maybe even western Nassau) that would be good for a single college student where I can keep my car? I realize it's unlikely to find a perfect neighborhood that has an easy commute to both Midwood and Huntington so out of the two I'd rather have easy access to the BC campus since I'll be there more days per week. And of course if I can find a job that pays the same as or better than my LI job closer to Brooklyn I'd be willing to quit my job in Huntington. I'm lucky to have a relatively well-paying part-time job for a college student and I'm very frugal, so at the expense of fun I've managed to save up about $22,000 so far. I'll have my savings and at least $800/month in income to live off of (and maybe a student loan - I'm still figuring that part out). I don't want or need an expensive apartment and I'm really hoping to keep my rent as cheap as possible. A studio would be perfectly fine with me - just a place to sleep, shower, and keep my stuff. Any help on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 06:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,099,382 times
If you wanted access to both Huntington and Brooklyn College by transit, I might recommend Mineola. You'd have access to trains to Huntington, and you'd also be able to take the LIRR to Nostrand Avenue and take the B44 to Brooklyn College (either that, or go to Atlantic Terminal for the (2) & (5))

Maybe Mineola would still work even if you had a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: