Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 AM

1,526 posts, read 5,602,469 times

Advertisements

Don't think I already mentioned this on this thread, but in terms of meeting people in any major city, check out meetup.com. They have zillions of different groups who meet for all sorts of things--dinner and movies, outdoor activities, comedy clubs, and on and on. They also show you a list of members (with pix) so you can get an idea of who else is in any particular meetup group. It's free to join, and as I say there are a dizzying array of choices. Seems like a good way to meet people in your own city or after moving to a new one, while exploring some of the great activities available with like minded folks.

Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Moderator cut: quote removed
I'm also proud that so many people want to visit and live here. Kind of cool to live in a city that's a major tourist destination (as opposed to many other areas in the US that are not). However, the more transient population (those going to college here who plan to return to their hometown, etc) do help jack the rents up and then leave the city after they're "done" with it.

I'm a native NY'er too, so I do know where you're coming from. NYC went through some very rough times, but some of us stuck it out through good times and bad. That makes me feel very proud indeed.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-11-2007 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: quoted post deleted

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
yuppies/out-of-towners speak of the great 'Culture' and Diversity found in this city yet you never see one talking to a Black, hispanic or even Italian person,

No need to be stupidly and needlessly insulting. I am an ex-New Yorker, born and bred, and I, unlike you, have seen what the rest of the country has to offer. Have stayed in the Midwest since I left NY. You're dead wrong. I know New Yorkers think they are the only ones who know anything but you only show how stupid that kind of New Yorker can be. We are not as insulated as you and, believe me, we do mix here. In Minnesota It's a mecca for interracial couples here and no one thinks anything of it; we're used to it.

As for New Yorkers not wanting to go "there anyway" I see many messages on this forum of fed up New Yorkers complaining, expressing their misery with life in their city. It's easy to blame newcomers for your issues.

Comparing with what happened to the Indians, come on. There is more money and always has been in NYC than most other cities in the country, and you're blaming the newcomers and not the companies that hire them. Blame your New York bosses for not hiring New Yorkers then.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,983,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
yuppies/out-of-towners speak of the great 'Culture' and Diversity found in this city yet you never see one talking to a Black, hispanic or even Italian person,

No need to be stupidly and needlessly insulting. I am an ex-New Yorker, born and bred, and I, unlike you, have seen what the rest of the country has to offer. Have stayed in the Midwest since I left NY. You're dead wrong. I know New Yorkers think they are the only ones who know anything but you only show how stupid that kind of New Yorker can be. We are not as insulated as you and, believe me, we do mix here. In Minnesota It's a mecca for interracial couples here and no one thinks anything of it; we're used to it.

As for New Yorkers not wanting to go "there anyway" I see many messages on this forum of fed up New Yorkers complaining, expressing their misery with life in their city. It's easy to blame newcomers for your issues.

Comparing with what happened to the Indians, come on. There is more money and always has been in NYC than most other cities in the country, and you're blaming the newcomers and not the companies that hire them. Blame your New York bosses for not hiring New Yorkers then.
Want to add that it's people like you who tout your city so much that YOU encourage people you don't want in New York to go there!

Old 10-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Lilietta, you certainly raise some good points. Interesting "debate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City