Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,566,340 times

Advertisements

maybe bmw guy knows. i have 2 friends i met from another state. they are a couple a few years older than me. they helped me a lot in the after math of the death of both my parents. They would like to visit NY in the future. they are on a budget. I am considering the Van Cortlandt Motel for them which charges something like $75 per night. I live within walking distance from this motel and am aware that it is often used as a short stay motel (it has short stay rates as well and a line of car svces outside) tho i have certainly seen family types and older/middle aged couples coming in and out. I have no idea as to how the rooms are or the atmosphere. they don't have kids. I am guessing it's a better location than the short stay places you have in the NE Bronx like along Boston Rd since the area is much better and lower crime. my friends say it sounds good. i read an online review that said the motel was recommended against typical Bronx chains due to the neighborhood and quiet atmosphere

my friends say whatever will save them $$ they will consider. i was considering this motel also since the atmosphere is more suburban and we could commute to Manhattan via bus/subway metrocard transfer, and they have the Mosholu Avenue shopping strip for convenience items

I only have a studio so i don't have room for them and i am afraid Manhattan hotels costs might be too high. i don't know yet what they want to spend per night but i thought of this motel anyway since it's so convenient
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,566,340 times
i didn't even state my question. bmw guy or other posters, how might someone from another state(in this case the midwest) find a motel in the outer boros? there is also the Deegan Motel in my area but i don't care for it's appearance nd i wouldn't recommend it. it looks too much like a fleabag, whereas the Van Cortlandt Motel looks less obvious

Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,278,389 times
I have heard odd things about the Van Cortlandt Motel, actually, nothing too bad on the order of the Deegan or the old Stadium Motor Lodge by the police station. It's not a hotbed of crime, or anything like that, but I am not sure that I would recommend it to someone from out of town because I think places like this are hit-or-miss. They can be decent, but a bad room, or bad neighbor, and it's just not worth the aggravation because there are not many options with respect to other rooms, or better decor/features if the hotel only has one type of room. From what I know of it, it's rather dated, and not kept to the same standard as some of the larger chains. That's also a problem with some of the places in Yonkers. I would walk over and get a tour, saying that you are local and have guests who plan to visit and would like the convenience. If it's a decent place, they will let you look at a room before booking, and you could assess the condition and what some of the neighbors might be like.

If your friends have flexibility and want Riverdal convenience, I would look to Hotwire or Priceline to get a decent room in Westchester, though it could be in White Plains. Fort Lee has options in hotels as well, some at good rates, but if you were to drive to/from, you're stuck with the tolls. It's possible to take the bus to the 1 train to get to Riverdale from Fort Lee, but certainly not as convenient as the 15-20 minutes it would take without traffic issues. You may also find a bed & breakfast at a good rate, though that can be tricky in Westchester, due to zoning in certain villages closer to the city.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City