Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM

71 posts, read 149,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
If you do not make enough to meet your rental obligation of $1,000, you should not need to be told that ALL monies, including those meant for "smart phone" purchases, should be put toward your rent deficit before you look to the taxpayers, some of whom do not have "smart phones" themselves, to cover your deficit.

The sad thing is - people do need to be told, then they argue when this is pointed out.
So you must be absolutely be unable to pay the rent right now, and not just anticipating that you won't be able to increase your income enough to cover the rent increases that'll happen in the next few years, before you're allowed to apply for affordable housing? What if she needs a smartphone for her job/to work more effectively?

Since NYCHA only takes 1/3 of your income for rent, someone living there (although this didn't apply for Citygirl) who WORKS would very likely be able to afford a smartphone and plan. So would spending $100 on clothes or alcohol every month be okay for these people, but buying a smartphone is not? Or are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to spend any of the money they have left over they get from their jobs at all??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
So you must be absolutely be unable to pay the rent right now, and not just anticipating that you won't be able to increase your income enough to cover the rent increases that'll happen in the next few years, before you're allowed to apply for affordable housing? What if she needs a smartphone for her job/to work more effectively?

Since NYCHA only takes 1/3 of your income for rent, someone living there (although this didn't apply for Citygirl) who WORKS would very likely be able to afford a smartphone and plan. So would spending $100 on clothes or alcohol every month be okay for these people, but buying a smartphone is not? Or are you saying they shouldn't be allowed to spend any of the money they have left over they get from their jobs at all??
When we lived in Stuyvesant Town, we were incensed to see that residents of Campos Plaza had air conditioning and a parking lot.

Those needing subsidized housing do not need luxuries like smartphones. My Virgin Mobil phone only makes calls and is no contract and paid by the minute in advance. I pay market rent.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
When we lived in Stuyvesant Town, we were incensed to see that residents of Campos Plaza had air conditioning and a parking lot.

Those needing subsidized housing do not need luxuries like smartphones. My Virgin Mobil phone only makes calls and is no contract and paid by the minute in advance. I pay market rent.
So if they *work* and have money left over (which most would due to the system of paying 1/3 income for rent) what are they ALLOWED to spend it on?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
So if they *work* and have money left over (which most would due to the system of paying 1/3 income for rent) what are they ALLOWED to spend it on?
They are not only ALLOWED but EXPECTED to move out of the subsidized housing, meant for people who need help for a limited time given hardships, and make space for someone else currently in need. What they are not meant to do is stay for a lifetime, hoard a two-bedroom when living as a single person, and/or "hand down" the temporary help situation to anyone else. If a family has an income that surpasses guidelines, then the family should pay more.

Just like the rest of us.

To the poster with the virgin mobile phone - us too ! Mine is Verizon, same logic though.

PS. One would hope that they would use extra money to pay for childrens' educations. In my experience this is extremely rare, however. Instead, logo'ed clothing and other ridiculous and unnecessary stuff - like smart phones.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM

208 posts, read 464,272 times
Billy the point of people is that if you are asking for hand out then NO you should not be spending your money on things you don't really truly need. I pay market rent, afford a smart phone (which I do need for work) but don't waste money on apps (yes even .99 cent apps), don't spend $100 a month on clothes or $100 a month on booze, etc etc etc...WHY? Because my money goes to MARKET RENT. **** everyone would love to blow $100 a month on clothes, and booze, and whatever else but those of us who have market rents, and bills must be responsible and pay those.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
They are not only ALLOWED but EXPECTED to move out of the subsidized housing, meant for people who need help for a limited time given hardships, and make space for someone else currently in need. What they are not meant to do is stay for a lifetime, hoard a two-bedroom when living as a single person, and/or "hand down" the temporary help situation to anyone else. If a family has an income that surpasses guidelines, then the family should pay more.

Just like the rest of us.

To the poster with the virgin mobile phone - us too ! Mine is Verizon, same logic though.
You seem to be ignorant of the fact that (due to the 1/3 income rule) one can easily make enough money from work to pay the NYCHA rent and a smartphone bill, but not enough to live comfortably outside that system.

Think of someone working 30 hours a week at 8$ an hour. Can they pay the NYCHA rent and still afford a smartphone plan? Yes. Can they move out and survive on their BELOW $1000 monthly income? Very likely NO especially they have a family and are the only member working.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
One would hope that they would use extra money to pay for childrens' educations.
And if they're planning to send their kids to CUNY for college?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycangel View Post
Billy the point of people is that if you are asking for hand out then NO you should not be spending your money on things you don't really truly need. I pay market rent, afford a smart phone (which I do need for work) but don't waste money on apps (yes even .99 cent apps), don't spend $100 a month on clothes or $100 a month on booze, etc etc etc...WHY? Because my money goes to MARKET RENT. **** everyone would love to blow $100 a month on clothes, and booze, and whatever else but those of us who have market rents, and bills must be responsible and pay those.
Nobody's saying you should spend $100 a month on clothes or booze but if they have the money left over, are they not suppose to spend it on anything, or only save it in the hopes of using it to move out even if it's impractical to think they can do so anytime soon? She spent $.99 on an app oh no, if she spent $2.25 on a 20 block bus ride instead of walking or $1 on a can of soda instead of waiting to get home to drink from a $1 2 liter bottle of Rite Aid soda, would you also criticize her for that? Jeez.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
And if they're planning to send their kids to CUNY for college?
City College is a great school, and the CUNY system has many great choices.
Were you under the impression that it is free ?

Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
City College is a great school, and the CUNY system has many great choices.
Were you under the impression that it is free ?
I went to CUNY and I was able to get grants to pay fully for it with money left over. I assume most people living at poverty level would be able to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City