Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:39 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times

Advertisements

Landlord gave us a notice today that in 25 days, rent will increase from 2000 a month, to 2500.

I think our lease is supposed to be from August until July, so that part seems strange in the first place, but 25%!? seems like a big big jump.

Any thoughts-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Landlord gave us a notice today that in 25 days, rent will increase from 2000 a month, to 2500.

I think our lease is supposed to be from August until July, so that part seems strange in the first place, but 25%!? seems like a big big jump.

Any thoughts-
Is it rent stabilized? If so, what is the legal regulated rent for your apartment?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:08 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Is it rent stabilized? If so, what is the legal regulated rent for your apartment?
Might be wrong but I think the OP lives on Long Island.Is there stabilization on LI ?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
#1 Read your lease and make sure landlord is following it
#2 If you can't afford the increase, either try to negotiate, or make plans to move.

I am not sure where you live, but in Manhattan it's a common practice for landlords in large non-stabilized buildings to offer the rent at a "reasonable" price (say, $2200 for a studio) and then after a year jack it up to $2700. They know renters are between a rock and a hard place because it's very expensive to move.

Here's an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/re...pagewanted=all

When Ms. Barrocas, 26, first found her one-bedroom apartment with views of the East River on the 19th floor of a Murray Hill apartment building in 2010, it cost $2,550 a month. She and her boyfriend quickly signed up for a two-year lease.

With the lease set to expire in June, she recently received word that her landlord wanted to raise the rent by more than $500 a month. “I started freaking out,” Ms. Barrocas said. “It is a huge increase.”

She was not ready to buy, but she could not afford to stay in her current apartment. The landlord would not negotiate. But moving, even if she found a cheaper place, would most likely force her to shell out around $5,000 for broker fees, security deposit and moving costs.

Fortunately, a cheaper apartment was available in her building. It was smaller, had little natural light and lacked river views. But at $2,745 a month it was in her price range, and there was no broker’s fee. She made the move.

Ms. Barrocas says many of her neighbors feel similarly trapped. “People just want to leave,” she said. “I would have preferred to leave.”

Old 06-05-2012, 05:15 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
#1 Read your lease and make sure landlord is following it
#2 If you can't afford the increase, either try to negotiate, or make plans to move.

I am not sure where you live, but in Manhattan it's a common practice for landlords in large non-stabilized buildings to offer the rent at a "reasonable" price (say, $2200 for a studio) and then after a year jack it up to $2700. They know renters are between a rock and a hard place because it's very expensive to move.

Here's an article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/re...pagewanted=all

When Ms. Barrocas, 26, first found her one-bedroom apartment with views of the East River on the 19th floor of a Murray Hill apartment building in 2010, it cost $2,550 a month. She and her boyfriend quickly signed up for a two-year lease.

With the lease set to expire in June, she recently received word that her landlord wanted to raise the rent by more than $500 a month. “I started freaking out,” Ms. Barrocas said. “It is a huge increase.”

She was not ready to buy, but she could not afford to stay in her current apartment. The landlord would not negotiate. But moving, even if she found a cheaper place, would most likely force her to shell out around $5,000 for broker fees, security deposit and moving costs.

Fortunately, a cheaper apartment was available in her building. It was smaller, had little natural light and lacked river views. But at $2,745 a month it was in her price range, and there was no broker’s fee. She made the move.

Ms. Barrocas says many of her neighbors feel similarly trapped. “People just want to leave,” she said. “I would have preferred to leave.”
That's because there is a high demand for housing in Manhattan. More than supply.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
That's because there is a high demand for housing in Manhattan. More than supply.
Yes. I think OP might live in Manhattan, in which case what I wrote would apply.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
I was shocked this week to see that a sponsor owned 1 br apt in my co op building is listed for rent at 1,525/mo.And it's a small 1 br at that....only about 725 sq ft.This means that in the 4 years I've been in the building,the rent on the sponsors 1 br apts has gone from about 1,100/mo to 1,500/mo ! The apartments are not stabilized of course so there is nothing illegal about it,just kind of shocking that the rents have gone up so much.

Also,up until a year or so ago,whenever sponsor units came vacant they were immediately put on the market and sold,even during the crash.They had all been forever occupied by holdover rent controlled and rent stabilized tenants who never bought.Now when the apartments come vacant they don't even try to sell,they rent them out at market rates..Not sure exactly what this means except that maybe the rents have come up so much that it's too tempting for them to rent for now.The maintenance to the co op on the unit now for rent is just a little over 500/mo so I guess the sponsor will have a 1,000/mo profit on this one unit ! Nice.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Might be wrong but I think the OP lives on Long Island.Is there stabilization on LI ?
No..Long Island doesnt believe in those archaic laws.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM

136 posts, read 193,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I was shocked this week to see that a sponsor owned 1 br apt in my co op building is listed for rent at 1,525/mo.And it's a small 1 br at that....only about 725 sq ft.This means that in the 4 years I've been in the building,the rent on the sponsors 1 br apts has gone from about 1,100/mo to 1,500/mo ! The apartments are not stabilized of course so there is nothing illegal about it,just kind of shocking that the rents have gone up so much.

Also,up until a year or so ago,whenever sponsor units came vacant they were immediately put on the market and sold,even during the crash.They had all been forever occupied by holdover rent controlled and rent stabilized tenants who never bought.Now when the apartments come vacant they don't even try to sell,they rent them out at market rates..Not sure exactly what this means except that maybe the rents have come up so much that it's too tempting for them to rent for now.The maintenance to the co op on the unit now for rent is just a little over 500/mo so I guess the sponsor will have a 1,000/mo profit on this one unit ! Nice.
Market rents in NYC are kept high because the government suppresses the supply of apartments. How? Well, there are hundreds of thousands of low-rent stabilized apartments which are, essentially, permanently occupied. That is, they are not part of the supply because the rents are artificially kept so low that the occupants sit on them for decades or for life.
Low supply and high demand create high market rents, except of course for the privileged few. It's called the "Rent Stabilization System".

Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM

371 posts, read 624,850 times
Just received a 20% increase myself. Try negotiating with the landlord. I was able to buy myself 3 more months at the old rent price. I plan on moving out after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City