Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

zdg - best of luck wherever you decide to move. You can always come back to visit. I was wondering what type of business that you had here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i'm counting the days to go back

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
It won't be beaten till death until people who haven't been living here for a long time stop claiming they are "New Yawkahs" to seem more "cultured", "cosmopolitan", "hip and cool", "trendy" and like they know the in's and out's of the city when all they really know is Manhattan and Manhattan only and the hip and convenient spots of Manhattan . They didn't go through the tough times, didn't live through the progressions. You just can't be some where for 3 years and claim to be it. I'm not going to go to Paris for 2 years and say I'm a Parisian when I've lived here my whole life or go to London for 3 years and say I am a Londoner when I've been else where for the majority of my life. I guess at the end of the day you can be whatever you want but it just annoys me when people claim they are New Yorkers because they just feel superior in some way.
Then start your own damn thread since you want to go on and on and onnnnnnnn about this. Actually, don't bother, because there are already about 50 threads that discuss this EXACT TOPIC! Just find one of those and post in that.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM

61 posts, read 117,857 times
Sort of agree with both Prizm and the OP in this thread. Prizm makes the important point that it's worth it depending on what you value. Reading the OP, I don't see any reason why he should stay in NY - he's not really doing anything there that he couldn't be doing anywhere else. But, on the other hand, a lot of the complaints are the same kind of complaints you would hear about any other major city, except maybe in terms of pricing. But, other big cities still get snow, commuting, rude people, etc. I think NYC sounds like a good place to be if you are young and you have a dream or big goal of some kind... or you are really invested in something cultural or artistic that can flourish (as it could in any other city, but maybe particularly in NY). But if you just want to raise a family and live your normal life... and you aren't connected to the place by what you "do", then I don't see anything wrong with going somewhere else. Sometimes I feel like people in NY think there's is the only city with tons of culture and nightlife... other major cities have this too. I'm going to NY for more experience and the adventure of it, but people who move back to the cities they are from, or move to other cities, it isn't necessarily cause they couldn't "make it" - other cities might just be more appropriate for what they are doing.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
It won't be beaten till death until people who haven't been living here for a long time stop claiming they are "New Yawkahs" to seem more "cultured", "cosmopolitan", "hip and cool", "trendy" and like they know the in's and out's of the city when all they really know is Manhattan and Manhattan only and the hip and convenient spots of Manhattan . They didn't go through the tough times, didn't live through the progressions. You just can't be some where for 3 years and claim to be it. I'm not going to go to Paris for 2 years and say I'm a Parisian when I've lived here my whole life or go to London for 3 years and say I am a Londoner when I've been else where for the majority of my life. I guess at the end of the day you can be whatever you want but it just annoys me when people claim they are New Yorkers because they just feel superior in some way.
That is kind of a cop out, what about people who were born and raised here and have hardly ever left their neighborhood? What about someone who lived in Queens their entire life and never stepped foot in the Bronx? I think one can call themselves a New Yorker if they live here...because that is where they live...I am pretty sure you can move to Florida and call yourself a Floridian simply because you live there because it would be a true fact.

NYC's culture is made up of all the people who live here and visit here, regardless of how long they have lived here or where they moved here from.

Besides, this city was founded on being the ground zero of immigrations.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,972,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
zdg - best of luck wherever you decide to move. You can always come back to visit. I was wondering what type of business that you had here?
I owned a securities compliance firm. We did all the internal compliance and registration compliance for about 1500 investment advisory firms around the nation.

Started with just me in a small office in the corner of Texas and grew to a four-office, nationwide operation based in NYC within 7 years.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classie View Post
LOL This is so true. Don't get me wrong, I love NYC. I was born and raised there and just moved away last year. I visited this forum today because I was homesick, but you hit the nail right on the head.

It is truly about quality of life. When you have to get up early to move your car across the street for alternate side parking four times a week, or your car is towed because you were 2 inches past the sign, or you have to circle a block like a vulture looking for parking...that is not quality.

When you have to walk through feet of snow or slide across ice in an ice/hail storm to get to the dark, urine smelling, dingy subway filled with rats on your way to work...that is not quality.

When you are lugging your groceries or laundry down the block in beaming heat or bitter/biting cold...that is not quality.

When you have to pass by garbage bags and dumpsters filled with who knows what leaking from the bottom, leaving little trails of nasty liquid on the concrete...that is not quality.

When your window AC in your 4th floor walk up just broke in the middle of a heat wave...that is not quality...

When a motorcycle zooms down your block, drunken people come home from bars yelling and cursing, or taxi horns blare at un-Godly hours of the night, that is not quality.

When you have to put your pissed off face on to avoid being verbally harassed by random strange men...that is not quality.

Mice and roaches in your living space is not quality.

Mice and roaches...(in your ritzy mid-Manhattan place of work) is not quality.

I love NYC...it is my home...there's no place like it...I miss it because my memories are there, but I can't see myself moving back there to raise my kids unless I was in a way higher income bracket. It's great to visit...
when you say quality of life though, that is still on a personal level. live my whole life within minutes of downtown areas in the 'burbs, some of those things you mentioned are actually quality in a way vs what i would have now.

the parking thing, yeah i can say that isn't good, but i hate driving so not having to drive is going to be amazing.

walking through snow... i'll take that any day instead of having to walk through the snow to my car, clean off my car, shovel my sidewalks, and then drive on the snow covered roads praying to god that i don't get hit because no one knows how to drive in the snow even though it's michigan and this sort of thing happens every year

motorcycle zooming down your block.. thats better than motorcycles zooming every where you are. that happens in the burbs in the city, everywhere.

drunken people stumbling... i would 100% rather have people drunkenly stumbling down the street vs drunkenly getting behind the wheel and killing yet another one of my friends.

strange men... any where my girlfriend goes she gets hit on and creeped on... even when she is wearing pajama pants and a hoodie... so that happens anywhere and everythere

mice and roaches... i'd much rather have to deal with small rodents like this, than the opossums and raccoons that we have. those getting into your garage is not a fun thing.

most everything i've read here are what i would call trade offs. you can have one thing one way, but you have to give up something else.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
when you say quality of life though, that is still on a personal level. live my whole life within minutes of downtown areas in the 'burbs, some of those things you mentioned are actually quality in a way vs what i would have now.

the parking thing, yeah i can say that isn't good, but i hate driving so not having to drive is going to be amazing.

walking through snow... i'll take that any day instead of having to walk through the snow to my car, clean off my car, shovel my sidewalks, and then drive on the snow covered roads praying to god that i don't get hit because no one knows how to drive in the snow even though it's michigan and this sort of thing happens every year

motorcycle zooming down your block.. thats better than motorcycles zooming every where you are. that happens in the burbs in the city, everywhere.

drunken people stumbling... i would 100% rather have people drunkenly stumbling down the street vs drunkenly getting behind the wheel and killing yet another one of my friends.

strange men... any where my girlfriend goes she gets hit on and creeped on... even when she is wearing pajama pants and a hoodie... so that happens anywhere and everythere

mice and roaches... i'd much rather have to deal with small rodents like this, than the opossums and raccoons that we have. those getting into your garage is not a fun thing.

most everything i've read here are what i would call trade offs. you can have one thing one way, but you have to give up something else.

Very well said

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post

I'm not going to comment on anything except your preference to deal with rodents (which you can actually get rid of) instead of roaches. You're nuts.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,722,538 times
you got me there. i forgot i put in roaches. i don't want to deal with roaches. my junior high was infested with roaches. they got rid of them eventually though... by tearing down the building and building a new junior high lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City