Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:37 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,464,976 times

Advertisements

I live in a neighborhood that for the most part is ok, but there is a deli down the block from me that always has a group of characters hanging out in front of it, very trashy people, who obviously have no jobs/lives...

I have to walk by there twice a day (to and from work) and I always feel uncomfortable. They always stare... There are even people who sit out there in lawn chairs, like they are in their backyard! I have seen cops there many times breaking up fights, etc. and I just wonder, why are these people even allowed to stand around like that? They are out there all hours of the day/night...And it's on a main street.

I guess cops can't be bothered with stuff like this, but you think since there has been trouble there several times, something would be done....

I have thought about calling 311 but figured it's useless...Any advice? It's making living in this neighborhood very unappealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
i think loitering in NY is a violation offense, not a misdemeanor. on the same level of offense dis con and harassment

Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,238,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I live in a neighborhood that for the most part is ok, but there is a deli down the block from me that always has a group of characters hanging out in front of it, very trashy people, who obviously have no jobs/lives...

I have to walk by there twice a day (to and from work) and I always feel uncomfortable. They always stare... There are even people who sit out there in lawn chairs, like they are in their backyard! I have seen cops there many times breaking up fights, etc. and I just wonder, why are these people even allowed to stand around like that? They are out there all hours of the day/night...And it's on a main street.

I guess cops can't be bothered with stuff like this, but you think since there has been trouble there several times, something would be done....

I have thought about calling 311 but figured it's useless...Any advice? It's making living in this neighborhood very unappealing.
Yes it is illegal to loiter. My advise to you is to do what I've done when I see ghetto a$$ people hanging out...call 911 anonymously and tell them there are a number of guys, at the address publicly drinking and smoking pot acting in a disorderly fashion who are possibly selling drugs.

Tell them you live in the building or next to it and that you have to get some sleep because you have to go to work is 5 hours. They will most likely respond much faster that way than if you were to just say they are loitering. If they were just loitering, they would tell you to just call 311 and the cops will respond 8 hours later since its not an emergency. By then, they would of been gone and the point is to catch them in the act. You have to tell these little white lies to get a response in a timely manner otherwise you will not see any results and they will continue hanging out there. Besides, going by what you described, I wouldn't be surprised if the cops found weed or anything else on them. They fit the description of your typical "hood" people.

If more than 20 minutes passes and no police has shown up, call 911 again and follow up saying that you called 20 minutes ago and no one has shown up yet and that they are still acting loud and disorderly. Call 911 everyvtime they hangout there with the same excuse of you can't sleep cause they are hanging out, drinking, smoking and acting loud. Eventually they will get the hint that they are not wanted there and will go elsewhere. Good luck!

Last edited by hilltopjay; 06-10-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 08:32 PM

824 posts, read 2,781,879 times
I left out a few not revelant for the purposes here, such as loitering for the purposes of prostitution, loitering in a transportation facility, loitering while masked (disguised), or loitering near school grounds. If the people in question aren't doing any of the following, there is probably not much you can do, as merely "hanging out" and looking trashy is not a crime, but making excessive noise is a no-no. The only thing I can think of is to try and find out if you have a neighborhood association and give them a call or attend a meeting and see if this issue is being discussed. Find out who your City Council member is and drop them a line.

§ 240.35 Loitering.
A person is guilty of loitering when he:
Loiters or remains in a public place for the purpose of gambling
with cards, dice or other gambling paraphernalia; or
Loitering is a violation.

§ 240.36 Loitering in the first degree.
A person is guilty of loitering in the first degree when he loiters or
remains in any place with one or more persons for the purpose of
unlawfully using or possessing a controlled substance, as defined in
section 220.00 of this chapter.
Loitering in the first degree is a class B misdemeanor.

§ 240.10 Unlawful assembly.
A person is guilty of unlawful assembly when he assembles with four or
more other persons for the purpose of engaging or preparing to engage
with them in tumultuous and violent conduct likely to cause public
alarm, or when, being present at an assembly which either has or
develops such purpose, he remains there with intent to advance that
purpose.
Unlawful assembly is a class B misdemeanor.

§ 240.20 Disorderly conduct.
A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause
public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk
thereof:
1. He engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening
behavior; or
2. He makes unreasonable noise; or
3. In a public place, he uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an
obscene gesture; or
4. Without lawful authority, he disturbs any lawful assembly or
meeting of persons; or
5. He obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or
6. He congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to
comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; or
7. He creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act
which serves no legitimate purpose.
Disorderly conduct is a violation.

§ 240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with
intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
legitimate purpose.
Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to
activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended,
the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor
management act, as amended.
Harassment in the second degree is a violation.

§ 240.40 Appearance in public under the influence of narcotics or a drug
other than alcohol.
A person is guilty of appearance in public under the influence of
narcotics or a drug other than alcohol when he appears in a public place
under the influence of narcotics or a drug other than alcohol to the
degree that he may endanger himself or other persons or property, or
annoy persons in his vicinity.
Appearance in public under the influence of narcotics or a drug other
than alcohol is a violation.

§ 240.45 Criminal nuisance in the second degree.
A person is guilty of criminal nuisance in the second degree when:
1. By conduct either unlawful in itself or unreasonable under all the
circumstances, he knowingly or recklessly creates or maintains a
condition which endangers the safety or health of a considerable number
of persons; or
2. He knowingly conducts or maintains any premises, place or resort
where persons gather for purposes of engaging in unlawful conduct.
Criminal nuisance in the second degree is a class B misdemeanor.

From New York City code (the above are Statewide laws):

§ 24-218 General prohibitions. (a) No person shall make, continue or
cause or permit to be made or continued any unreasonable noise.
(b) Unreasonable noise shall include but shall not be limited to
sound, attributable to any device, that exceeds the following prohibited
noise levels:
(1) Sound, other than impulsive sound, attributable to the source,
measured at a level of 7 dB(A) or more above the ambient sound level at or after 10:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m., as measured at any point within a receiving property or as measured at a distance of 15 feet or more from the source on a public right-of-way.
(2) Sound, other than impulsive sound, attributable to the source,
measured at a level of 10 dB(A) or more above the ambient sound level at or after 7:00 a.m. and before 10:00 p.m., as measured at any point within a receiving property or as measured at a distance of 15 feet or more from the source on a public right-of-way.
(3) Impulsive sound, attributable to the source, measured at a level
of 15 dB(A) or more above the ambient sound level, as measured at any point within a receiving property or as measured at a distance of 15 feet or more from the source on a public right-of-way. Impulsive sound levels shall be measured in the A-weighting network with the sound level meter set to fast response. The ambient sound level shall be taken in the A-weighting network with the sound level meter set to slow response.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes it is illegal to loiter. My advise to you is to do what I've done when I see ghetto a$$ people hanging out...call 911 anonymously and tell them there are a number of guys, at the address publicly drinking and smoking pot acting in a disorderly fashion who are possibly selling drugs.

Tell them you live in the building or next to it and that you have to get some sleep because you have to go to work is 5 hours. They will most likely respond much faster that way than if you were to just say they are loitering. If they were just loitering, they would tell you to just call 311 and the cops will respond 8 hours later since its not an emergency. By then, they would of been gone and the point is to catch them in the act. You have to tell these little white lies to get a response in a timely manner otherwise you will not see any results and they will continue hanging out there. Besides, going by what you described, I wouldn't be surprised if the cops found weed or anything else on them. They fit the description of your typical "hood" people.

If more than 20 minutes passes and no police has shown up, call 911 again and follow up saying that you called 20 minutes ago and no one has shown up yet and that they are still acting loud and disorderly. Call 911 everyvtime they hangout there with the same excuse of you can't sleep cause they are hanging out, drinking, smoking and acting loud. Eventually they will get the hint that they are not wanted there and will go elsewhere. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, I never thought of calling 911, because I figured that was for only extreme emergencies, and I didn't think this qualified as that....BTW-I would NOT be surprised at all if there really is drug dealing, etc., going on at this place.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,154,837 times
The thing is in this city, wherever there is constant hanging out like that, there very likely is at least some drug dealing but it gets to a point where cops tolerate it to a degree and don't give a sh**. It would take constant complaints from several people for it to change...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:37 AM

555 posts, read 1,179,208 times
Tell them you see a single tax paying young white women being harrased by the group of colored thugs and the police will be there in no time...

Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc77 View Post
Tell them you see a single tax paying young white women being harrased by the group of colored thugs and the police will be there in no time...
Oh boy!! FUNNY!!

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,154,837 times
One thing I forgot to mention that you likely have not tried, is to call your precinct directly.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
The thing is in this city, wherever there is constant hanging out like that, there very likely is at least some drug dealing but it gets to a point where cops tolerate it to a degree and don't give a sh**. It would take constant complaints from several people for it to change...
You know what is strange, when I first moved into this area (back in 2005), there was no people hanging around this deli like this (it would have been a big turn off if there was, and I probably wouldn't have moved there)...I remember specifically, also, seeing quite a few cops on foot walking around for the first year or so that I moved there. I wonder if there was some kind of incident that cleared up all the "activity" for a while, and now it's back with a vengeance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City