Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
She committed no crime or fraud. These apartments are inspected annually and the building manager knew full well how many people were living there. They were just too lazy to adjust the situtation...now they DID.

Is SHE to be blamed that she was not offered a 1 bedroom apartment 30 years ago? Is it on HER head that she didn't take the initiative and drag her furniture around the building until she found an empty one bedroom apartment to SQUAT in?

"Greedy, greedy greedy, gimme, gimme, gimme"...we all know that only LANDLORDS are allowed to wallow in those sentiments. For anyone else it is unseemly, right?
She shares fault in this. If you are getting more money then you should from the government and know it and don't try to fix it, aren't you held liable? Pretty sure she was not doing a thing because she knew she would be moved. It's BOTH the landlord of the building AND her fault for not correcting the situation much much earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 07:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
That is correct skill...if you knowingly defraud the government, even if it is the government's mistake, you are held liable. For example, if your husband dies and you keep cashing his SS checks for years, and the government finds out..you are liable despite the fact that it was the government's mistake. This is no different..she knew she didn't qualify but did not alert anyone but instead tried to get others on the lease to cheat the system.

She will not be thrown out of public housing because the city is required to house everyone by law, so she would end up right back in public housing of some sort again.

Throwing in a random comment on Landlords is just trying to divert attention from the truth.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Is it fraud if the "government" and its agents KNOW you are in a large apartment and ALLOW it?

If the IRS says it owed you $4000 and you think otherwise, it is wrong to cash the check. Are you the arbiter any more than it is up to you to determine the outcome when they say that YOU owe THEM $4,000?

If the zoning department says your basement apartment is legal and you feel it is not, do YOU commit a crime if you rent the place.

If a COURT says that X owes you $10,000 and you feel the court made a mistake, are you obligated to appeal the case...perhaps to the Supreme COurt?

NYCHA runs the NYCHA system. Their word is the last word. If they let you stay, you stay; If they demand you move, you MOVE.

Little old ladies are NOT the determinant of how this immense bureaucracy works.

So let's get REAL here.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If the IRS says it owed you $4000 and you think otherwise, it is wrong to cash the check. Are you the arbiter any more than it is up to you to determine the outcome when they say that YOU owe THEM $4,000?
The IRS told me I deserved a bigger refund than I thought I did, telling me I misfiled my tax return. I took it they were the final arbiter.

I'm a bit puzzled where the IRS got that from, but I took their word for it.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM

Kefir the law is clear cut. If you take money you KNOW you are not entitled to, like SS of a deceased relative, you are liable for that and are defrauding the government. If you are in an apt you KNOW you no longer qualify for, you are liable and defrauding the government. It's all the same...and the government can take action if they want to.

But don't take my word for it:

Evington man sentenced in Social Security check cashing case | The News & Advance

Old 06-18-2012, 11:53 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Kefir the law is clear cut. If you take money you KNOW you are not entitled to, like SS of a deceased relative, you are liable for that and are defrauding the government. If you are in an apt you KNOW you no longer qualify for, you are liable and defrauding the government. It's all the same...and the government can take action if they want to.

But don't take my word for it:

Evington man sentenced in Social Security check cashing case | The News & Advance
Moreover, attempting to add people to leases to keep large apartments is far more common than people may realize. At least around here. Sometimes they succeed.

I have also encountered women who lied about domestic violence issues to receive top priority after being evicted - for non-payment, of course, once the welfare was cut off. This makes things difficult for women who have actual problems and legitimately deserve help. Each one of these women explained to me that they had been FORCED to lie because "the government" had cut off their "benefits." And each believed this.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:56 AM

34 posts, read 102,303 times
Moving from a 4 bedroom to a 1 bedroom is an inconvienece that's all nothing to write home about. I agree 100% a time limit should be put in place anywhere between 5-10 years during which time residents can save 10% of their montly earnings as a plan of action. To be the only resident in a 4 bedroom apartment for 20+ years is a crime. SMH!!!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:44 PM

Harlem I am aware of that scam and it is just another way to cheat the system. My aunt did the same thing to get an apt...she had to go to court for "domestic violence"..got an apt..and shortly thereafter "reconciled" with her boyfriend. The reality: They needed a new apt because they could not be bothered to make the section 8 appts.

Another scam is much sadder. My uncle's girlfriend's mother moved to NYC and was living with them. She was of course destitute, and the only way for her to get an apt was to claim she was "homeless", and so they sent her to the shelter to live for 6 months. She now has a brand new 1 bedroom apt for life, and pays $200 a month including all utilities. Her daughter lives a few blocks away, as does her grandson. Why bother taking care of your mom..she's not your problem right? Just send her to the shelter and she is set for life. Lovely!

On a side note, she spends her "free time" (she doesn't work) collecting bottles and cans from garbage bags during the recycling days. I informed my uncle that I saw her with a shopping cart digging in garbage cans, to which he replied "oh we know, it's just her hobby."

Welcome to NYC!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
A relative of mine just got the bad news yesterday that she will have to move from her 4 bedroom apt to a 1 bedroom. She is truly upset but we all knew this day was coming. She has lived in the apartment for 50 years. I've read threads about this on the forum so I guess NYCHA is forcing people out of their large apartments and giving it to those who really need the space for their large families. She will live in the same building but on a different floor.

The apartment had 4 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms. In the 60's my grandmother put a washer and dryer in the apartment. The rent for her apartment was only $800 a month. For the 1 bedroom she is moving to the rent is only $525 a month. She is retired now. She tried to put other relatives on the lease in the last few years but was told no from the Housing Manager.

What are your thoughts on this?
NYCHA should be temporary housing for the poor, not for 50 + years.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
NYCHA should be temporary housing for the poor, not for 50 + years.
was it ever meant to be temporary from the start?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: