U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 6,796,090 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen much about it but it seems like an interesting neighborhood. Pretty dense but appears neat and tidy from the street view. Has good subway access and a busy looking commercial strip on White Plains Rd. How is this neighborhood doing and what does the future hold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:23 AM

9,048 posts, read 22,333,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I haven't seen much about it but it seems like an interesting neighborhood. Pretty dense but appears neat and tidy from the street view. Has good subway access and a busy looking commercial strip on White Plains Rd. How is this neighborhood doing and what does the future hold.
Actually you hear a lot about it on here from me and 3 or 4 other regular CD posters who live in the area but it's generally referred to as Pelham Parkway.

Bronxdale is a section of Pelham Parkway and the use of the name Bronxdale is almost extinct.Most people who live in Bronxdale these days don't even know they live in Bronxdale and have never heard of Bronxdale. The same can be said for another Pelham Parkway section known to some as Bronxwood.

Anyway,it's a pretty nice,thriving neighborhood with a very diverse population,good transportation,lots of shopping and other amenities,lots of trees and parks and little crime.

Here's a photo thread I created about the neighborhood a few years ago.Most of the photos are in "Bronxdale"
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nx-photos.html

Old 06-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Pelham Parkway. That explains why I haven't found much info on "Bronxdale." Pelham Parkway seems also to include the neighborhoods of Morris Park and Pelham Gardens, very nice suburban looking areas. Bronxdale would seem to be sort of the "downtown" area of Pelham Parkway. Before I found this forum I had a mostly negative impression of the Bronx. I was familiar with Riverdale (from Tom Wolfe's book the "Bonfire of the Vanities") and that was about it. Everything else I knew about it concerned the South Bronx. But from reading posts from bluedog2 and other Bronxites and checking out the borough practically block by block using the google streetview, I have found plenty of attractive and interesting neighborhoods that I think I would be comfortable living in. Pelham Parkway would be one of them.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Morris Park is and always has been a distinct neighborhood on it's own and it's boundaries don't include Pelham Parkway( the road) itself.It's northern edge is a little to the South of both the neighborhood of Pelham Parkway and the road.Neill avenue is generally considered the northern line of Morris Park and it goes South to the Amtrak right of way just to the North of East Tremont Ave.It's main commercial strip is Morris Park Avenue.The two neighborhoods are definitely intertwined so to speak though.

I actually live North of the Parkway, at Bronx Park East across from the Botanical Garden.It used to be called Bronxwood, although I have seen some maps that call it Bronxdale too.

Lol,maybe the confusion of all the varying names and opinions about boundaries is what has led most people to just say they live in Pelham Parkway.It makes sense because the park in the middle of the parkway itself very much defines the area and kind of brings it all together.It is a very highly used green space by everyone in the area.

Bronxdale is a very old name and it was in fact an early settlement of Westchester County, long before The Bronx became a part of NY City.It( Bronxdale) was settled because of the power available for industry from the nearby Bronx River.There is an entrance to The Bronx Zoo from the neighborhood where you can still see one of the waterfalls.There is another waterfall only about 5 blocks North, in the NY Botanical Garden.

Obviously it is a big plus to have both The Zoo and The Botanical Garden as well as the Park that is the Parkway as parts of the neighborhood.Definitely one of the 2 or 3 greenest neighborhoods in the city.

Bronx neighborhood names and boundaries seem to always be a point of contention.

Bronxdale is also at the geographic center of The Bronx.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-14-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM

518 posts, read 1,489,000 times
Quote:
It was bluedog2 that hipped me to PP - I was moving from Queens and wanted to live in a house sized apt - and knew my only option (that we could afford) was going to be in the Bronx.

Pelham Parkway So. is where I am, and I cant say enough good things. there has been a string of interest on this forum as of late about this area, makes me feel good. i hope negative stereotypes of entire boroughs gained from bad 80's movies will be put to rest.

The area I am in is very residential with 2 thriving shopping strips: White Plains Road and Lydig Ave. As a mom, safety is paramount, and I can say I have not one time felt unsafe, or even wary. People quickly get to know you and it is a very close knit community. I just bought into a co-op and all of my neighbors, for good or for ill, know me and my family. Plenty of amenities, but no nightlife. A blessing to some, a curse to others. Almost no litter, I see store owners take care of graffitti within days of it appearing. No parking, but there is a large muni park on Maran Place. Rents are good - maintenance is better! We found a place in 3 months. Had a great RE agent & mortgage broker.

Its not Riverdale, but its a great area. Im proud to be a part of it.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Thanks, Vic Future. Pelham Parkway is a very nice looking area. Some of the streets south of the parkway (in particular Cruger, Holland, and Wallace) are pretty impressive looking. Some very impressive buildings. There don't seem to be any pubs in the neighborhood but easy access to Woodlawn would compensate somewhat. Still, it would be nice to have one good watering hole within an easy walk.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:24 PM

518 posts, read 1,489,000 times
Quote:
Thanks, Vic Future. Pelham Parkway is a very nice looking area. Some of the streets south of the parkway (in particular Cruger, Holland, and Wallace) are pretty impressive looking. Some very impressive buildings. There don't seem to be any pubs in the neighborhood but easy access to Woodlawn would compensate somewhat. Still, it would be nice to have one good watering hole within an easy walk.

I agree r small - no place at all to sit down and have a pint - being a beer snob, Corona or Modello just dont cut it - my hubby usually makes the trek into NYC hit the bars on the West side to get his fancy beer fix - he'll being back a growler of something nice for me - but if we get a few more waves of middle class 30 somehtings, beer gardens, pubs and hopefully some nicer restaurants will start to pop up. its only a matter of time. the word is out the the entire Bronx is not like Fort Apache

Old 06-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Yeah, PP is almost the perfect neighborhood. Beautiful buildings. Subway stop. Busy commercial area. Lots of cake there. A couple of nice pubs would be the icing.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM

28,702 posts, read 41,426,295 times
I'm surprised Pelham Pkwy doesn't have a beer garden yet. Rockaway is getting one soon.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-16-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, PP is almost the perfect neighborhood. Beautiful buildings. Subway stop. Busy commercial area. Lots of cake there. A couple of nice pubs would be the icing.
Don't hold your breath waiting.It's very weird but the community board has a very anti bar attitude.They think that bars are bad for neighborhoods and only bring trouble,noise and crime.

I have been to a few CB meetings where applications for liquor licenses were up for approval and they don't want stand alone bars in the neighborhood.They approve bars that are in restaurants but even then they set down strict operating hours.A Mexican restaurant that just recently opened on Williamsbridge Road was given a hard time with their license approval( it took 6 mos) and they finally had to agree to not serve alcohol at the bar after !0:30 pm Sun thru Thursday and to close at 1:00 am on Friday and Saturday nights.Someone has been trying to open a bar on Lydig for months and months and they are being given a hard time too.

It's all very curious and I don't really understand why it is like this in this neighborhood.Are there any other neighborhoods in the city with this sort of anti bar attitude ? I think it's been this way forever and I haven't been here very long so I don't understand everything about the neighborhood culture.

There are some nice bars in various restaurants on Williamsbridge Rd,Morris ParK Ave,Bronxdale Ave,etc but they are a bit of a walk and as I said they are all inside/part of restaurants.

Anyone know of any other "old school" NYC neighborhoods with this attitude about bars ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City