U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,046,953 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised people are actually giving this much attention and showing so much annoyance at the OP. At 17, I thought money could buy me happiness. I think most people at 17 think this. A lot of people think this their whole life, but I sincerely hope the OP grows out of this.

Also, I was always taught it is very distasteful to inquire about salary of others/brag about your own, unless it is an inquiry regarding a field you are possibly interested in entering and therefore making a career decision. I find that when I tell people my salary, they are jealous because they don't make that and are smarter, older, harder working, etc than me. Or if they make more, they make me seem "cute" and that someday I'll be "as good as them", even when I don't care. My salary pays my bills. That's enough for me.

So OP, enjoy your bliss now, but don't live life thinking it's OK to tell people your salary (unless it's your spouse, family, employer, or someone genuinely interested in entering your field). When people start defining you by the money you make, life really gets to sucking fast. In all senses. If you make small money, people see you as small. If you make big money, people will think they can leech off you.

Don't subject yourself to the materialistic nature of the world. Enjoy your money, live the life you deserve, but keep it to yourself. I PROMISE, it's better that way.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:38 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,118,604 times
I throw hipsters and poseurs out of coffee shops before they can pretend to start writing their "novellas".

Old 06-16-2012, 03:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,840,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
As someone who works in Human Reaources, Accounting and Office Management, I can also tell you for instance it is aagainst the law to give out your salary info or discuss the salary of others in the workplace
Please stop working in human resources.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:50 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,960,197 times
that hurts when people see you as small. i am the lowest paid professional at my place and believe me i can sense the contempt some people have towards me. i say only some people but believe me it's there. i find that older workers don't judge as well as workers that are in recovery don't judge either. even when those who see me as small are polite and nice to me, i still sense it and believe me it hurts

Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM

95 posts, read 128,897 times
I am a slacker who gets weekly allowance from dad. Oh wait sorry that's you...trollolololoooool.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM

imw36--it also ****s when people enter your field thinking you make the big bucks when you really don't. i dread convos with people like that because I ultimately will end up freezing such people out so they will never "go there" with me. does this mean my character is lacking cause i don't make enough(my job certainly does cover my expenses and i have decent health insurance/pension too) to please them or is it their character that is lacking?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:00 PM

i ended a friendship of 4 years because my "friend" had that kind of thinking--if i wasn't planning on making the "big bucks" like he was I was a nobody and would only make "peanuts". glad i shut him completely out of my life and he hasn't an inkling of how far I've come today

Old 06-16-2012, 06:45 PM

27,935 posts, read 22,163,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
Jesus. An internet thug how cute.

No one here is going to give you their salary and with good reason, it reallly is no one's business. As someone who works in Human Reaources, Accounting and Office Management, I can also tell you for instance it is aagainst the law to give out your salary info or discuss the salary of others in the workplace.

The fact you got angry and made threats doesn't help your maturity level argument.

Oh and for the record I do make more than you.
Really? Because my salary is published on a website for all the world to read.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM

110 posts, read 157,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerCrawler View Post
I am a slacker who gets weekly allowance from dad. Oh wait sorry that's you...trollolololoooool.

A 52,000 allowance, dont be jealous. You'll make that working 52 years lolllllllllllllllllllll

Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 PM

i see a mod cut looming on the horizon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City