Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,556 times

Advertisements

Hello NYC, I would like recommendations on affordable daycares located in the Bronx or Harlem but preferably the BX. I know the word affordable may confuse some because what you can afford may not be what I can afford. I have a daycare center called Brightside Academy right downstairs from my apartment however; I cannot afford the $376 per week that they are charging for a two month old.
I would prefer a family daycare with minimum children so my baby can get lots of attention but unfortunately I will accept a larger daycare center that is up to par when I go visit if it’s affordable.

Please do not be shy, I need recommendations and also let me know if I should stay away from a particular daycare. All info is welcomed and appreciated.

FYI: I will be paying out of pocket because I am not on welfare so I do not qualify for any programs. I heard about an ACD program for working people but I also heard that there is a long waiting list. If you have any info on this program or any program like it please share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:54 AM

15 posts, read 36,522 times
I know a nice daycare center in the Bronx on Pelham Pkwy which is quite reasonable ($800/month full time, with part time options), Bright Stars, but unfortunately they only start at 18 months. I would check the OCFS website (New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)) to find listings of licensed family daycare providers and then call around. In my experience, there is one in almost every building. They are safe and nuturing, though basic (little to no outdoor time, a good deal of TV time which I don't love), but your child will be safe and cared for and most take young babies. I've found rates around 900/month can be worked out, particularly if you don't need full time 7-6. ACS also provides childcare vouchers to working lower-income families. You don't need to be on welfare. You can look at this site to check to see whether you qualify: Child Care & Head Start. Lastly, when I needed care for my infant I ended up using care.com to find a nanny, and I split the cost with another family. For both kids, it was $15/hour. For a full 40 hour week of care, that equaled $300/kid. Not great, but not terrible, and it gives you great flexibility and attention. You may be able to find someone for less - maybe as low as $12-13/hour, split between two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City