Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:47 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,358,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
I don't understand the reason why you feel the need to point out that you're black... Does it really matter?

you know why it matters? because blacks feel comfortable
around similar blacks, just like whites feel safe around
similar whites. no one likes to feel outnumbered.

that question was slight lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,889,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Why did you feel out of place? Are you east asian or Black? I know Astoria has Greek and Italians, young suburban white transplants, hispanics off all origins, south asians and egyptians
This pretty much sums it up when it comes to Astoria demogrtaphics.

I would also add, eastern europeans (mostly Croatians and Serbians).

There's not many black people around here. And the ones you do see are around the PJ's.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:16 PM

110 posts, read 299,071 times
Indeed. If you're okay with being one of the few Black people in the area there won't be much of a problem. Anyway, check out StreetEasy and you'll see plenty of properties around your $400k budget. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 04:02 PM

127 posts, read 634,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I'm thinking that in Astoria, you can get a 2BR condo for around 400K.
I wish this were true, but it's not. 2-bedroom condos in Astoria go for more like $600k.

While I happen to like Astoria, I would not recommend buying there -- I just don't think it's a good value. Because it's basically a low/mid rise neighborhood, the vast majority of condos for sale are small projects where a small-time developer knocks down a small building or house and crams in as many 600sf 1-bedrooms as possible, complete with shoddy craftsmanship and materials. To boot, they're often in bad locations far from the subway. Take a look on StreetEasy and you'll see what I mean.

Then there are some coops. There are about a dozen 2-beds for sale in the Acropolis, which is a very large housing project-like coop off the Ditmars stop. You can get into a 2-bed there for less than $300k, but it would only be like 700sf, and a lot of people really don't care for the complex -- it's been discussed on the Astorians site a few times if you're interested. There are a handful of other, older buildings strewn throughout the neighborhood as well. Most are coops with a few condos, but there aren't usually many units on the market.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:27 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,440,668 times
It's funny to see people say the only black people you see are near/in public housing. Not true at all.

I think it's just a matter of when you're traveling (you won't see many blacks). Granted there aren't many in the neighborhood but I never feel out of place. The black people I do see mostly are upper middle class and/or professional.

I love Astoria and before anyone excuse me of being a transplant, etc I'm from Brooklyn. Regarding Astoria again, I know some of my neighbors (mostly white, BUT there is this interracial couple that I know as well), I have a good relationship with my local store owner and my barber is also friendly and I never feel like I'm being mistreated, etc. People alienate themselves when they are not familar with an area not the people in it. That's my perspective though.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,033,185 times
What happened to jcoltrane? Isn't he black and living in Astoria too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: