Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times

Advertisements

What makes Melrose the neighborhood of choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:41 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
It isn't so much the neighborhood of choice, other than it has created thousands of new working/middle class housing in the last decade...and continues to churn out ever more impressive, and now luxury style developments...most recently being:

Via Verde: Via Verde
Northrose: Make Northrose your home for superior living in the heart of the Bronx | NORTHROSE - The Residences
St. Ann's: St. Ann's Terrace Apartments

These developments are all steps from eachother, and impressive by just about anyone's standard. And these are just some of the developments in the area, which includes other rentals, co-ops, condos, and townhouses.

The Melrose area is now the leader in green communities in NYC, and the epicenter for Bloomberg's affordable housing initiative. Every new development is now feeding off all the other developments, and is now creating it's own demand for great new middle class housing. Cool stuff.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Is the Northrose complex done yet? Last time I took a ride through there, it was still under construction.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
when they build condos instead of section 8 it will get better and not b4.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Phases of the Northrose are complete...most of the construction is done...still some work is being done though. Some buildings are occupied now.

Huckleberry, if you take a second and click on the links, you will note these are a mix of condos, co-ops, and rentals, with income ranges up to $165K (Via Verde).

Old 01-05-2012, 06:20 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I don't doubt for a moment that the BRONX is gaining population and I applaud the City's efforts to enhance development, but I still maintain that VERY few people will move to the Bronx from Manhattan except for the very tiny group that can qualify for a new affordable apartment and who are now living in an overpriced Manhattan shoebox.

Basically, when people leave Manhattan, they leave New York City. I know lots of people and only one who moved from Manhattan to Queens and that was only becasue her landlord wanted her stabilized apartment (and 12 others) "for his family" <they should have fought this stupid nonsense in court but did not...she took $20K to move from a dumpy apartment with a sublime location, 37th and Park.>

She couldn't afford Manhattan any more so had to choose between Riverdale and Rego Park...she made the right choice and bought a big 4 room apartment in Queens for a song at the bottom of the market.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM

Kefir your personal experiences are just that..personal..and not representative of the trends or movement of residents. I know lots of Manhattan transplants who now live in the Bronx...which means little as it is also anecdotal.

There is no doubt substantial numbers of NYC residents leave NYC rather than move to the boroughs, but we know many are choosing to stay and expanding to the boroughs. I have already provided the link to demonstrate Manhattan residents who choose to stay, and which borough they choose to move to.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Kefir you don't have to buy it..it has already been studied quite a bit:

Where Manhattanites Move When They Want to Stay in New York | The New York Observer

The answer: Most Manhattanites choose the Bronx when they move within the 5 boroughs.
I wonder if those people from Manhattan who chosed the Bronx are from Washington heights inwood and Harlem?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM

It did not break it down in that level of detail. However, in my personal opinion, the bulk moving to the Bronx are likely people of color living in transitioning communities (Harlem/Heights etc) and facing big rent increases. They are moving to the Bronx for affordability and larger space (surprise!).

The smaller contingent I believe are other Manhattanites/NYC residents who are perpetual renters, and want to own something and stake their claim on the "inevitable" tidal wave of newbies moving to the Bronx. If they get in early, and get their much sought after NYC brownstone or condo, they will be (in theory) enjoying their new found riches in 10 years...like so many other people supposedly did in communities like Williamsburg, Park Slope, Harlem, and Washington Heights. Then they get the priviledge of saying "I told you so" to their friends who laughed at them for moving to the Bronx, and who now are desperate to move to the Bronx but are now "priced out" and looking at Yonkers. I hear it is the "last untouched area of NYC."

The theory being..."you gotta be in it to win it"...and the Bronx is that "last" place that is "untouched"..or so the story goes.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:01 AM

109 posts, read 205,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It did not break it down in that level of detail. However, in my personal opinion, the bulk moving to the Bronx are likely people of color living in transitioning communities (Harlem/Heights etc) and facing big rent increases. They are moving to the Bronx for affordability and larger space (surprise!).

The smaller contingent I believe are other Manhattanites/NYC residents who are perpetual renters, and want to own something and stake their claim on the "inevitable" tidal wave of newbies moving to the Bronx. If they get in early, and get their much sought after NYC brownstone or condo, they will be (in theory) enjoying their new found riches in 10 years...like so many other people supposedly did in communities like Williamsburg, Park Slope, Harlem, and Washington Heights. Then they getthe priviledge of saying "I told you so" to their friends who laughed at them for moving to the Bronx, and who now are desperate to move to the Bronx but are now "priced out" and looking at Yonkers. I hear it is the "last untouched area of NYC."

The theory being..."you gotta be in it to win it"...and the Bronx is that "last" place that is "untouched"..or so the story goes.
Well said SobroGuy....Well said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City