Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
how dare you!!!..aint nothing wrong wit the "hood environment"...certain hoods have the vibe they have becuase thats the way its supposed to be!!.crown hts is full of jews, soho is full of yuppies,the south bronx is full of spanish...my point is that nyc is a diverse place..and its ****in downright wrong to push families out simply becuase you can afford to live there and decided you want to leave your neck of the woods.. .you cant turn all 5 boros into the land of the ****in rich!! Becuz contrary to popular belief ummm nyc wouldnt be able to survive without the poor...sorry..i dont think bloomberg has enough to keep new york city afloat...neither of his friends either...
It's called commuting. Just because the people can't afford to live within 5 miles of Midtown or Lower Manhattan doesn't mean they can't afford to live in the city. Those poor families will be able to find decent places in the outer boroughs or nearby suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:21 PM

175 posts, read 235,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
it's called commuting. Just because the people can't afford to live within 5 miles of midtown or lower manhattan doesn't mean they can't afford to live in the city. Those poor families will be able to find decent places in the outer boroughs or nearby suburbs.
are kidding me??? Are you serious???..listen to yourself...those poor families are already poor so how the fvuk can they afford to be bought out and then have to spend more to "commute"??? Becuase they now live in the "decent places of the nearby surburbs"...if you can afford to move further from the core when you already lived in the prime area...then you move ur ass to the damn suburbs! Not 40 blocks up and displace those who cant fend for themselves!....you dont move from 72 street to 145 street....you move from 72 street to white plains..babylon..etc...you get it!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Well actually you move from 72nd St to whereever you want....it's called freedom! And over the past few years, it's clear that people are moving from prime areas of Manhattan to all over the 5 boroughs, transitional neighborhoods, and even the "hood. Welcome to 2011!

And while you may believe that the poor have a right to live in "their" community, they don't have any more right to it that anyone one else. So if a multimillionaire wants to live in East Harlem...who are you to say no? And why do poor people "own" neighborhoods they rent in more than people who own the buildings they live in?

Nobody owns the neighborhood or "deserves" to live there any more than anyone else. If you are poor and cannot afford the rent anymore, why exactly do you "deserve" to live there despite the fact you cannot afford it? Everyone needs help...I got that...but the idea that you are guaranteed to live in the place of your choosing, regardless of your means, is laughable. Life ain't fair, trust me I know...I live in Mott Haven and am surrounded by hard-luck cases day in, day out. But they are not guaranteed to live in their current residence any more than anyone else.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Well actually you move from 72nd St to whereever you want....it's called freedom! And over the past few years, it's clear that people are moving from prime areas of Manhattan to all over the 5 boroughs, transitional neighborhoods, and even the "hood. Welcome to 2011!

I don't buy that. People living in Manhattan do NOT move out to one of the other boroughs. They either stay where they are or get out of the City. There are reasons for this: they moved into Manhattan in the first place because they WANTED Manhattan...few forces can make a Manhattanite WANT to move to Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx, that option is for newcomers who cannot afford Manhattan.
The rent laws are such that anyone of limited means LIVING in Manhattan for any length of time will find it MORE costly rather than less to move anywhere else in NYC.

Many many many people moved into Manhattan over the last 50 years and they leave because they are carried out to their final rest...and it AIN'T an outer borough (well maybe Greenwood Cemetery.)

Old 01-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Kefir you don't have to buy it..it has already been studied quite a bit:

Where Manhattanites Move When They Want to Stay in New York | The New York Observer

The answer: Most Manhattanites choose the Bronx when they move within the 5 boroughs.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I don't buy that. People living in Manhattan do NOT move out to one of the other boroughs. They either stay where they are or get out of the City. ..There are reasons for this: they moved into Manhattan in the first place because they WANTED Manhattan...few forces can make a Manhattanite WANT to move to Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx, that option is for newcomers who cannot afford Manhattan...
This is patent nonsense. People leave the city for the outer boroughs all the time and I've know many who made the choice for a variety of reasons, one of the big ones being that you simply get more for you money outside of Manhattan. They move for more space, to be nearer to a new job, for an easier commute, for lower rents, to be close to elderly relatives, to find better schools, for a higher QOL, becaused they're getting divorced, to buy something instead of renting... the list goes on and on.

But they do leave and I've known folks who've eneded up in Riverdale, Forest Hills, Ft. Greene, Park Slope, and Williamsburg and they've known people who've done the same. A lot of people leave the city and don't want the burbs. Rent control has little to do with it (those apartments are rapidly disappearing) and rent stabilization doesn't either, especially as places approach the decontol limit and rents skyrocket.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2ATL2NY View Post
are kidding me??? Are you serious???..listen to yourself...those poor families are already poor so how the fvuk can they afford to be bought out and then have to spend more to "commute"??? Becuase they now live in the "decent places of the nearby surburbs"...if you can afford to move further from the core when you already lived in the prime area...then you move ur ass to the damn suburbs! Not 40 blocks up and displace those who cant fend for themselves!....you dont move from 72 street to 145 street....you move from 72 street to white plains..babylon..etc...you get it!!!
The subway can take you from Wakefield to Far Rockaway for $2.25. Don't give me that crap of "they'll spend more commuting". You could even go up to White Plains or out to Babylon on a $104 monthly pass.

Not to mention that you have jitneys that go to Paterson and Passaic for $2.50 and the PATH costs $1.75 and goes out to Newark. The people in "the hood" will just be living in a hood further out.

And I also said "Those poor families will be able to find decent places in the outer boroughs or nearby suburbs". I never said they had to even leave the city limits.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
The answer: Most Manhattanites choose the Bronx when they move within the 5 boroughs.

All 3 of them who move out of Manhattan and stay in NYC every year choose the Bronx.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:34 AM

111 posts, read 173,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
All 3 of them who move out of Manhattan and stay in NYC every year choose the Bronx.
What part of the Bronx????

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM

I don't know specifically what parts of the Bronx are attracting Manhattanites, but I can say the fastest growing community in the Bronx (and the city I think...maybe top 2 or 3 fastest) is Melrose. Anecdotally, I hear alot of people from Manhattan moving to the Yankee Stadium area, Bedford Park, Riverdale, Mott Haven, and Pelham Parkway areas. Each are very different communities and meet different needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City