Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times

Advertisements

Yeah the parking is pretty bad at the moment, and I'm afraid its only going to get worse.

Now that the Governor is going to let undocumented people get drivers licenses/permits I think there are going to be a lot of new cars being purchased in the near future in our neighborhood. There is still a good 6 months until this law kicks in.

I think the reason nobody uses their driveways is that they are entirely too narrow. Especially since the streets themselves are narrow in most spots it is very difficult to pull into a driveway unless the house is along Katonah or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 35,309 times
Yeah poor planning but I suppose the builders didn't have to think about parking spaces when the houses were originally built. Alot of the older homes in the neighborhood don't even have driveways. That's why I welcome the newer "fedder" homes.

And with all the sidewalk work on McLean Avenue it's easier to just walk! But you have to be real careful. I was on the avenue the other day and almost got run down by first a bulldozer and then oncoming traffic. Can't wait til that mess is all finished.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 PM

[quote=mead;1668264]Yeah the parking is pretty bad at the moment, and I'm afraid its only going to get worse.

Now that the Governor is going to let undocumented people get drivers licenses/permits I think there are going to be a lot of new cars being purchased in the near future in our neighborhood. There is still a good 6 months until this law kicks in.

quote]
From the Emerald Isle Immigration Center's website:

On Friday, September 21, 2007 New York State Governor announced a new policy that would allow undocumented immigrants to apply for or renew a driver’s license.</STRONG> The policy will begin to take effect in November 2007 for license renewals and December for new applications.

It seems to be coming sooner than 6 months!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Here's the thing with the drivers licenses. Several years ago they used to be able to get licenses. Then after 9/11 Pataki issued a policy which stopped that and once the licenses expired they couldn't be renewed without having a valid Social Secuirty number. The fact that many people in the neighborhood couldn't renew their drivers licenses coupled with the Celtic Tiger economy were two main reasons why a lot of Irish people began to leave Woodlawn post-9/11.

Now, those people who were unable to renew their licenses can do so in November. However newer immigrants who never previously had a NY drivers licenses will have to wait until the spring until they get one (I think the date is March or April of 2008). All of the Irish people in the neighborhood seem to be aware of this at the moment, so I would expect to see a lot of younger Irish folks getting cars in the near future. In a normal neighborhood this wouldn't be a big deal, but in Woodlawn the parking is already so crazy, and this will probably only make it worse. I don't mind it so much since if I can't find a spot I always just park up by the park and walk down to my apartment.

[quote=woodlawnnyc;1670521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah the parking is pretty bad at the moment, and I'm afraid its only going to get worse.

quote]
From the Emerald Isle Immigration Center's website:

On Friday, September 21, 2007 New York State Governor announced a new policy that would allow undocumented immigrants to apply for or renew a driver’s license.</STRONG> The policy will begin to take effect in November 2007 for license renewals and December for new applications.

It seems to be coming sooner than 6 months!

Old 10-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Very insightful. Thank you

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,758 times
Default No papers

Hi there, me & a friend are heading from Ireland to New York the start of the summer but we aren't going to have all our papers in order. We're going to be based in Yonkers area, should we have much hassle finding work if we're not exactly 'legal'?

Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I've taken the subway many times late at night after a night of partying. I've never had a problem. You really just have to keep your wits about you and make sure you don't fall asleep (I've never hard this problem).

The Woodlawn subway station is relatively safe for a subway station in the Bronx. It is probably one of the better ones that I know of in the Bronx.
Yeah, but the 4 train is pretty wild. From 125th street to Kingsbridge you're in the hood. Bedford park and Moshulo can be sketchy.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,196 times
I dunno if you still even look at this page but are you still over there im planning the same thing for next year. Just wondering how you got on yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City