Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,778,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Thanks for the newsflash about Hunts Point and the images nobody has ever seen before...and by the way...I was not surpised that you chose NOT to show the pics of either of the new parks, or the new market rate housing selling for $700,000 (that's right), or the renovated Hunts Point Train Station, or the farmers market the area hosts, or the Fish Parade that the kids enjoy so much...or how about some of the artist renditions of the torn down Sheridan replaced with the new bike trails and parkspace, or the upcoming Metro-North Station.....
Look. I know Hunts Point very well. If any houses are selling for $700,000 in that community, that is the biggest rip off in the history of NYC. Why? About 4 years ago now the first 3 family townhouses were built in Hunts Point. These people live in FEAR today. You almost have to feel bad for them. Prostitutes litterally have sex on the hoods of their cars in their driveways. Around the corner is a block that not only has the usual drug problems, but a high concentration of Blood members. There is also a homeless shelter and numorous NYCHA rehabs in that neighborhood.

Now about 4 more 3 family townhouse blocks (Well not even whole blocks) have been completed. These people deal with more of the same. The latest blocks are way down along the industrial edge. A horrible place to live. There is a juve prison down the block, numorous crack houses (most in occupied apartments), it's just a bad place to live plain and simple.

The Hunts Point Avenue train station (Not inside the Hunts Point area either) was renovated years ago. Guess what. It floods often, like every time in rains really hard and the system gets shut down. It's also starting to fall apart. The tiles are chipped, serious water damage and leaks.

They have been trying to close the Sheridan Expressway for years and nothing has happend. In fact they just reopened a section which was being renovated. It's needed anyway.

We could go on and on but you get the point.

Quote:
Obviously the 2 parks does not erase the problems of the community or make it perfect...but as usual, instead of recognizing that it was a welcome addition to the community, a community that needs parkland, and how it is a positive step...you just say "woohoo...now Hunts Point is perfect." You are being unreasonable..change does not happen overnight..in fact..just to get this park took upwards of 4 years.

Your lack of business experience is daunting...as you have no idea what it takes to put up those houses, or parks, or the costs and bureaucracy involved.....that park symbolized achievement, success, hope....and it is a greta accomplishment that started with the vision of 1 person..Majora Carter. While you would have preferred her, as an MBA graduate with many opportunities, to choose a "better neighborhood", she instead moved to Hunts Point with nothing but a vision and determination to make things better....and that is exactly what she did. She was not a naysayer, she was not negative, she was realistic, she had vision, and she took action. If she had listened to your doom and gloom, there would be no new park, and there would be no green rooves, and there would be no possibility for the sheridan to be torn down and replaced with parkspace, and there would be no idea for a metro-north station....and the host of other ideas and improvements this one person has made.

So while I encourage people to rethink what is means to live in the places you call "the ghetto," you prefer keeping people like her, or anyone else of any substance, out of the communities....nice job.
You comment "oh your so mean and you only think about doom and gloom". Gimmie a break.

Hunts Point has a new park (Only 1 BTW). The progress is slow and there is no sign of "TRANSFORMATION". The damn zip code finally got a post office about 2 years ago.

I'm tired of argueing. It's a low income neighborhood with no transforming changes. Only more of the same small improvements that were beyond needed in the community. Little things that at least make things bareable. Like a post office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Oh I have a Pit Bull myself. He is a red nose, like the one that the guy is holding with the chain. But he is so nice to everybody and other dogs too. No stereotyping them please.
I like pits too. One of my favorite breeds of dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,981,458 times
Interesting how you ignored my comments about Majora Carter, and basically assert that the park she fought hard for was "insignificant," and her fight for tearing down the sheridan and creating a huge park as "not a transformation."

Yes a new post office, a new park, new housing, new investments are not taking Hunts Point in 1 day from a community and changing it to the Hamptons....what it is doing is improving the community, providing more and better amenities, and icnreasing the qualit of life for the residents. The fact that you call all of this pointless and Majora's hard work at providing a new park, and a higher quality of life for her community as "pointless" is not only grossly insulting, but the residents of Hunts Point who see what she is doing, and the changes that she is making, would be happy to show you how much it has helped their community.

Shame on you Hustla.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting how you ignored my comments about Majora Carter, and basically assert that the park she fought hard for was "insignificant," and her fight for tearing down the sheridan and creating a huge park as "not a transformation."
First of all that is not Hunts Point. But if we must...

It's not a transformation. It is an insignificant change in an area with a lot of problems. It doesn't transform the area.

What will happen is this. The playground is in a bad location, it's infill. A once rotting industrial strip along the Bronx River. During the day it will see little use. Probably bums sleeping on the benches and kids that cut school will hang out in there. However at night it will become a haven for drug addicts, prostitutes, and vandalizers. Why? It already is. For years that strip has been used for vices. A new park won't change that, in fact it will attract more attention.

Was a park needed, yes. However it is honestly is too little too late.

Quote:
Yes a new post office, a new park, new housing, new investments are not taking Hunts Point in 1 day from a community and changing it to the Hamptons....what it is doing is improving the community, providing more and better amenities, and icnreasing the qualit of life for the residents. The fact that you call all of this pointless and Majora's hard work at providing a new park, and a higher quality of life for her community as "pointless" is not only grossly insulting, but the residents of Hunts Point who see what she is doing, and the changes that she is making, would be happy to show you how much it has helped their community.

Shame on you Hustla.
Your post didn't sound that way. You were hyping it and provided one sentance for an area full of problems you can write a book on.

It's a low income, high crime/poverty community full of problems. No transformation is in sight, but at least the locals are gaining a few things they have needed for a long time. Like a few low income buildings and a post office. Again, too little, too late.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM

As usual nothing is ever good enough..the park is in a bad location..it won't be used...probably bums sleeping on it..blah blah.....you just miss the point everytime. So let's do what Hustla says, and not invest in the community, let's not build parks, let's not put up new housing, let's not open new business, let's not clean the streets, let's not open daycare centers, let's not have jobs for the community, because what's the point! Nothing will ever change ever ever never ever no matter what. Period.

Nice job Hustla...you should run for Mayor.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
As usual nothing is ever good enough..the park is in a bad location..it won't be used...probably bums sleeping on it..blah blah.....you just miss the point everytime. So let's do what Hustla says, and not invest in the community, let's not build parks, let's not put up new housing, let's not open new business, let's not clean the streets, let's not open daycare centers, let's not have jobs for the community, because what's the point! Nothing will ever change ever ever never ever no matter what. Period.

All i'm trying to say is... It's not a good place to live. And that it won't be any time soon. Nothing more.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:28 AM

No....if you only said that it was not a good place to live and it won't be anytime soon...there would be no difference between you and me. However, what you say is: "the area is a ****hole" full of "garbage", a "rip-off," "crappy" and "no matter what you do it will always be that way"...

I recognize the area is improving, you don't. I recognize that the investments, parks, new housing, new retail, business, and faces are a step in the right direction and postive improvements, while you call them pointless and a waste of time....

So don't change your tune and backtrack now because then we would have nothing to discuss in the forums.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No....if you only said that it was not a good place to live and it won't be anytime soon...there would be no difference between you and me. However, what you say is: "the area is a ****hole" full of "garbage", a "rip-off," "crappy" and "no matter what you do it will always be that way"...

I recognize the area is improving, you don't. I recognize that the investments, parks, new housing, new retail, business, and faces are a step in the right direction and postive improvements, while you call them pointless and a waste of time....

So don't change your tune and backtrack now because then we would have nothing to discuss in the forums.
Yeah...

It is crappy. It is a ****hole. It is a ripoff. That's why it is not a nice place to live. No one looks foward to living (or even walking through) Hunts Point.

Too little, too late. Nothing hinting "transformtion". Only insignificant changes that were long needed. Like a post office. The same old. Low income people moving in. Low income people struggling. Same old.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM

That's more like the Hustla we know.....

Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM

201 posts, read 1,279,562 times
Quote:

I don't understand how a park and some new homes helps an obviously poverty stricken community.
I am speaking in general...

New and nice parks built in low income high crime places (doesn't matter if its NY or not) are ALWAYS perfect places for drug activity and homocide.
Why sell your crack on the strip where theres tons of cops an stick up kids when you can do it next to the see saws where cops will have to pursue you on foot thru dangerous territory if you run into problems? If you have a lookout for you, you can hide or stash the drugs before they even confront you.

Than theres the new houses. Now the muggers and robbers have a new set of victims that are easyer to steal from.
Also new houses are not being built like they used to. If these townhomes are anything like the townhomes they are slapping up in NC like crazy in about 10 years they will be worse than the tenements.
I live in a Townhome thats 10 years old in a lower income community.
Already the roof is falling in, one of the bathrooms doesn't work, the front door is broken and won't open and theres a massive hole in the wall cause I was running in the house an hit it ever so lightly.

I'm still amazed this place never had a post office... WTF is this rural Mexico or the Urban US?

Like I said, ive never been to this place discussed in this thread but I'll back Hustla up based on common sense and experience.
Ive lived in the ghetto before and public parks are second only to Project Courtyards when it comes to crime and danger.
Also new developments and there residents are ALWAYS targeted. The old residents hate them and there new nice fancy houses.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
I don't understand how a park and some new homes helps an obviously poverty stricken community.
I am speaking in general...

New and nice parks built in low income high crime places (doesn't matter if its NY or not) are ALWAYS perfect places for drug activity and homocide.
Why sell your crack on the strip where theres tons of cops an stick up kids when you can do it next to the see saws where cops will have to pursue you on foot thru dangerous territory if you run into problems? If you have a lookout for you, you can hide or stash the drugs before they even confront you.

Than theres the new houses. Now the muggers and robbers have a new set of victims that are easyer to steal from.
Also new houses are not being built like they used to. If these townhomes are anything like the townhomes they are slapping up in NC like crazy in about 10 years they will be worse than the tenements.
I live in a Townhome thats 10 years old in a lower income community.
Already the roof is falling in, one of the bathrooms doesn't work, the front door is broken and won't open and theres a massive hole in the wall cause I was running in the house an hit it ever so lightly.

I'm still amazed this place never had a post office... WTF is this rural Mexico or the Urban US?

Like I said, ive never been to this place discussed in this thread but I'll back Hustla up based on common sense and experience.
Ive lived in the ghetto before and public parks are second only to Project Courtyards when it comes to crime and danger.
Also new developments and there residents are ALWAYS targeted. The old residents hate them and there new nice fancy houses.
Yes the new townhouses are like those going up in the low income sections of other cities. Only these are even smaller and multifamily. Similar problems with construction (Parts provided from the lowest bidder for example) but I still feel they are better housing then the tenements and housing projects in these neighborhoods. At least for now. We will see how they hold up over time. They are brand new after all.

The people moving in are Blacks and Latinos from the low income communities of the city (usually local), looking for better housing then the PJ's/tenements yet can't afford better neighborhoods.

Hunts Point is a very poor high crime/poverty neighborhood and it's really too really too bad. A lot of struggling people in that community. Among one of the poorest neighborhoods in America. In America's poorest urban county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City