Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times

Advertisements

The problem is that to me, it does not seem like a park to stroll. It's more crowded than any other "park" (I hesitate to term it that) that I've ever seen, in terms of people per square inch. I was carrying something fragile and was worried about people brushing up against me. I've certainly been to other parks, real ones - Central Park, Washington Square, etc. - and they're nothing like that. It's true that you're not competing with cars or bicycles, but you're competing with more bodies that I've ever seen herded together in one "park."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:45 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The problem is that to me, it does not seem like a park to stroll. It's more crowded than any other "park" (I hesitate to term it that) that I've ever seen, in terms of people per square inch. I was carrying something fragile and was worried about people brushing up against me. I've certainly been to other parks, real ones - Central Park, Washington Square, etc. - and they're nothing like that. It's true that you're not competing with cars or bicycles, but you're competing with more bodies that I've ever seen herded together in one "park."
You are talking about an elevated rail line that has been reused to a giant park....so yeah, there is gonna be a difference between the two...

Old 06-17-2012, 07:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
-There is no signage to tell you where you are, what latitude.

Are you honestly serious with this one? Since when does anyone use latitude/longitude to convey their location? Do you mean like street signs? You can only go down at certain parts and the exits are marked.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:07 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
A little while back I was stuck somewhere in queens. I had no idea where I was. Luckily I pulled out my smartphone and determined that I was at 47 degrees 27' 32" north latitude. I made my way home with the quickness...

Old 06-17-2012, 08:29 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are talking about an elevated rail line that has been reused to a giant park....so yeah, there is gonna be a difference between the two...
Thank you, I am glad someone finally said what it really was used for.
This is the most important info on the "High Line".

It was used as a freight railway back in the early day's of NY. It was then abandoned and left to decay for many years.
Then someone came up with the good concept of not tearing the railway down, but rather keep it natural and make it a park land. In other words, keep it up and transform it. Which is what was done.

It wasn't supposed to be this Earth shattering concept, just a nice place to stroll along, and enjoy a bit of nature, sunsets, sunrises, etc..............which is what it does.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:14 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
The OP seems to think that the High Line was recently built, as a park. As urbanlife78 and nightcrawler said, it's an old railroad line. It served the industrial areas of southwest Manhattan. That's why it's where it is!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM

455 posts, read 651,867 times
It is not a park. It is a walkway.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:32 AM

28 posts, read 43,011 times
what's the point of the highline?????? amazing post.
Got to say the highline was great when i went in Feb2012 great views, nice quiet stroll away from the hub of activity, NYC has a little gem there, pity we do not do the same here in Lpool uk, cant wait to go back

Old 06-18-2012, 06:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Thank you, I am glad someone finally said what it really was used for.
This is the most important info on the "High Line".

It was used as a freight railway back in the early day's of NY. It was then abandoned and left to decay for many years.
Then someone came up with the good concept of not tearing the railway down, but rather keep it natural and make it a park land. In other words, keep it up and transform it. Which is what was done.

It wasn't supposed to be this Earth shattering concept, just a nice place to stroll along, and enjoy a bit of nature, sunsets, sunrises, etc..............which is what it does.
Mwah. Love it!

Now that "Next to the High Line" has become a real estate agent's selling point you know it's hit establishment ground.

Couldn't help laughing at the 'bit of nature' -- plants that would be composted for weeds in any place other than hipsterland.

Crowds: more hipsters per sq. inch than any other place, besides Park Slope farmer's market. Hipsters self-consciously lounging -- 'look at me lounging on the High Line', strolling 'now I am strolling on the High Line', vaguely taking pictures of themselves for tumblr 'here I am holding up traffic on the High Line'.

Personally I am waiting for the whopper lawsuits of people tripping on those raised areas that used to be part of the railroad tracks, because they are really hard to see. People with handicaps not invited!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I am waiting for the whopper lawsuits of people tripping on those raised areas that used to be part of the railroad tracks, because they are really hard to see. People with handicaps not invited!
Waiting? They started in 2009!
City, Parks Dept. Sued For Flawed High Line Design, Broken Ankle: Gothamist
Should NYC be held liable for a High Line Park accident? | CJA

Some history:
http://www.asla.org/sustainablelands...Fact_Sheet.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City