U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-18-2012, 07:50 AM

4,847 posts, read 5,271,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
its just sad. And if you fight back who knows what will happen.
WHAT???????????
You G O T T A fight back.
These crooks will walk all over you otherwise.
Of course if he has a weapon {and by weapon I mean it BETTER be a gun} of course there's nothing you can do.
But to let somebody walk up to you empty handed and grab your stuff and take off, is an open invitation for the rest of the world to come and rob you.

Naaaa...no can do.
If you grab my phone we are gonna have a huuuuuge problem right there on that train.
If those doors stay open that is.
These dirtbags are slick though...they wait till right before they close and run.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:08 AM

191 posts, read 391,098 times
Must be my luck or something because I use my ipad 2, my iphone 4s sometimes both out at the same time, some times with my son using one of them. Must be certain train stops?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 5,422,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Not sure why anyone would flash their valuables on a train. I am dude and i wouldn't do that. You have to stay alert on the subways since you are in a confined space with other unpredictable humans.

Same here. I have witnessed an Iphone snatching. The thugs call it "Apple Picking". That said, I see time and again in the subways people with the iphones and laptops right out in the open. Many are confident it will not happen to them-Until it does. The iphone especially is a target as it is more popular then ice water in hell for these thieves. Stay alert, Keep anything that you don't want to have risk losing put of site, and for god sake's if you drink, Don't pass out in a stupor on the subway. That's even worse. I see this all the time.

We cannot prevent every single scenario, But being aware of where you are and who is around you goes a long way.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 AM

6,628 posts, read 11,578,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Must be my luck or something because I use my ipad 2, my iphone 4s sometimes both out at the same time, some times with my son using one of them. Must be certain train stops?

No,it can happen( and has happened) anywhere so you have been lucky so far.Don't count on being lucky forever though.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:42 AM

1,529 posts, read 1,572,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Not sure why anyone would flash their valuables on a train. I am dude and i wouldn't do that. You have to stay alert on the subways since you are in a confined space with other unpredictable humans.
I think it's silly to assume one should never use their iPhone/iPod on a train. Much of the intended purpose of it is for listening to music and the like when you are "on the go", especially when you're on a long commute. The point is that one must be careful when they "flash their valuables" and mindful of those around them, especially when the doors about about to open.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 AM

703 posts, read 272,816 times
What did the person look like on the train?

Did another person help the woman and called the police?

They can track the phone, because a celluar phones are trackable devices, like a radio. Even more so, because inside is a specific idenfication code.

They steal the iphone, because they know they could reprogram it, and sell it. If a person took somebodies phone, like my family member who dropped their phone, It could be given an entirely new set of codes.

iphones, are also a dime a dozen. Nobody really cares about them as much because the phones, are so easy to manifacture. You saw the factories, and duh guess what, that is reality. I could probably get ten of those things for twenty dollars. At a funeral, some people
was giving them out, as gifts. They do not know how much they are worth, in reality.

Ipad a just as crappy. so do not worry about the value of it. Like most people they are foolish to invest in a product that is not made of high quality parts, and will be outdated faster then one could guess.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM

1,001 posts, read 890,523 times
I use my iphone 4s and my kindle fire on the train. I haven't had an issue. But if someone even gets near me, I hold it from the top as well so they would have to struggle to grab it from me and maybe would bail. You HAVE to be aware on the subway especially with all the people that get on and off the train. It's so simple because the door closes and they are gone with nobody even knowing what happened until a minute after the train leaves the station. You can use your devices on trains, just hold on to them tight.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:07 AM

110 posts, read 157,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
What did the person look like on the train?

Did another person help the woman and called the police?

They can track the phone, because a celluar phones are trackable devices, like a radio. Even more so, because inside is a specific idenfication code.

They steal the iphone, because they know they could reprogram it, and sell it. If a person took somebodies phone, like my family member who dropped their phone, It could be given an entirely new set of codes.

iphones, are also a dime a dozen. Nobody really cares about them as much because the phones, are so easy to manifacture. You saw the factories, and duh guess what, that is reality. I could probably get ten of those things for twenty dollars. At a funeral, some people
was giving them out, as gifts. They do not know how much they are worth, in reality.

Ipad a just as crappy. so do not worry about the value of it. Like most people they are foolish to invest in a product that is not made of high quality parts, and will be outdated faster then one could guess.

Older white brunette lady. You can't call for help when your underground in a tunnel. Plus he was slick and got out the train before the doors closed. I got off at 96th so I don't know what she did when she got off.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:17 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,546,434 times
The iThugs don't just target anybody.
They are for the most part cowards who like to go after women, old people, or weak looking males.
I've been using my android phone on the train for years now and I have never witnessed any snatching.
But like someone else said here, you need to pay attention to your sourrindings, especially when you're by the doors. That's the sweet spot for underground iTheives.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:32 AM

457 posts, read 169,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
The iThugs don't just target anybody.
They are for the most part cowards who like to go after women, old people, or weak looking males.
I've been using my android phone on the train for years now and I have never witnessed any snatching.
But like someone else said here, you need to pay attention to your sourrindings, especially when you're by the doors. That's the sweet spot for underground iTheives.
Thugs in general go after women, old people or weak looking males. i have never seen a thug or tough guy pick a fight for no reason or rob a 6'5 260 lb dude but i have seen that scenario with a smaller dude (unless they are in a pack).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City