Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:28 PM

37,026 posts, read 39,094,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Well, the J currently skips the stops between Myrtle and Marcy during rush hour peak direction. That meant that when they rerouted the M, riders on those stops who previously took the M all the way to lower Manhattan had to transfer to the J/Z at Marcy.

But I guess that could change. Maybe the J/Z skip-stop could be extended through the whole line, instead of having both run express over that one stretch.

The G train is just such a frustrating train, but if it could make those three very close connections (J/Z, Atlantic, Queens Plaza) it would suddenly be an incredibly useful train.
I see what you're saying now, but for some reason, I swear I've taken J trains a few times during rush hour at those in-between stops (I often work around the Flushing stop). If that's not the case, then I think they can probably do some rerouting and make that a priority stop since it would have a transfer. I also think with that stop, they should close at least one of the preceding/succeeding stops if not both.

The G train is frustrating, but since they've started using fewer train cars, but higher frequencies it's been much, much better than it used to be. The J/M/Z are frustrating, too, but rerouting the M down 6th avenue have made it much better and I think giving it a connection to the G would mean both lines would make a lot better use of the infrastructure as well as possibility alleviating some of the other impacted lines people currently transfer to instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:52 PM

Just revisiting this idea. I am now thinking build the JMZ station on top of the Broadway G as mentioned before. When that's done, phase out both the Hewes and Lorimer JMZ stops as they are as they were close together to begin with and this new stop would be right in the middle of where those stops are now. Rush hour service to and from downtown Manhattan will either be an extension of the skip stop service along the rest of the line or choosing either J or Z to run express through that stretch and another to run local which is not that many stops. Either option would be slightly mitigated by having one less station along that short stretch. Or M train runs express down that stretch and both J and Z make the two stops at Flushing and the new station.

The justification for the general idea remains the same--to allow new transit patterns that would allow for better utilization of the capacity that these lines have available, to better serve the people who currently rely on these lines, and to provide alternatives to transit patterns that involve other lines that are overcrowded.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,318,126 times
Shouldn't it be cheaper to install a new station on the J/M/Z line since it's elevated. The entrance to the G is almost underneath the elevated line.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just revisiting this idea. I am now thinking build the JMZ station on top of the Broadway G as mentioned before. When that's done, phase out both the Hewes and Lorimer JMZ stops as they are as they were close together to begin with and this new stop would be right in the middle of where those stops are now. Rush hour service to and from downtown Manhattan will either be an extension of the skip stop service along the rest of the line or choosing either J or Z to run express through that stretch and another to run local which is not that many stops. Either option would be slightly mitigated by having one less station along that short stretch.

The justification for the general idea remains the same--to allow new transit patterns that would allow for better utilization of the capacity that these lines have available, to better serve the people who currently rely on these lines, and to provide alternatives to transit patterns that involve other lines that are overcrowded.
Well, it maybe possible in the future. The MTA redid Broadway/Lafayette and even moved the platform down so you could transfer to the uptown 6. Citibank paid for the free transfer to built between the 7 and the E, M, and G trains. And they recently made a free transfer between the R and the A, C, and F trains.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,612,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just revisiting this idea. I am now thinking build the JMZ station on top of the Broadway G as mentioned before. When that's done, phase out both the Hewes and Lorimer JMZ stops as they are as they were close together to begin with and this new stop would be right in the middle of where those stops are now. Rush hour service to and from downtown Manhattan will either be an extension of the skip stop service along the rest of the line or choosing either J or Z to run express through that stretch and another to run local which is not that many stops. Either option would be slightly mitigated by having one less station along that short stretch. Or M train runs express down that stretch and both J and Z make the two stops at Flushing and the new station.

I endorse this.

I still especially want a transfer at Atlantic. It would instantly make the G train a million times more useful.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Shouldn't it be cheaper to install a new station on the J/M/Z line since it's elevated. The entrance to the G is almost underneath the elevated line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Well, it maybe possible in the future. The MTA redid Broadway/Lafayette and even moved the platform down so you could transfer to the uptown 6. Citibank paid for the free transfer to built between the 7 and the E, M, and G trains. And they recently made a free transfer between the R and the A, C, and F trains.
Yea, it is possible to do so and it should be relatively cheap to do so since it's to establish a connection to an elevated line and it's where the underground line already has a station. What's more is the station is where the current property there is parking lots and one story fairly low end novelty shops, so acquiring the requisite space to build this station should be substantially cheaper than what getting an uptown 6 transfer at broadway-lafayette or the court square and jay street metrotech stops.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I endorse this.

I still especially want a transfer at Atlantic. It would instantly make the G train a million times more useful.
I think that's a great idea as well, it would cost far more though (but well worth it).

Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
I'd be all for reducing stops. Skip stop doesn't stop at either Lorimer or hewes, so it would have to stop at broadway-union for transferring to the G. They need to make the skip stop skip more stops, maybe run the Z more often and let them alternate stops. From broad st to Jamaica center is over 20 stops and takes an hour and change. They can cut that in half.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:40 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,108,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knh39 View Post
With the huge boom in popularity of the neighborhoods that the G runs through I think they will need to add a 5th car to the train within the next few years.
I'm pretty sure you can only have an even number of cars on a train (when dealing with the 75-footers). Then again, the SIR has 5 cars on some express trains, but I think those cars are modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I'd be all for reducing stops. Skip stop doesn't stop at either Lorimer or hewes, so it would have to stop at broadway-union for transferring to the G. They need to make the skip stop skip more stops, maybe run the Z more often and let them alternate stops. From broad st to Jamaica center is over 20 stops and takes an hour and change. They can cut that in half.
Skip-stop is a cheapskate's way of having express service when you don't have the express track. So the two services have to run at the same frequency and make roughly the same number of stops. (So you can't have more frequent (Z) service that skips more stops)

If there was an express track all the way from Marcy Avenue to Jamaica, then they could just run express service. But unfortunately, there's no express track east of Broadway Junction.

And generally, you don't want one line serving a major transfer point while the other doesn't (so the crowds are balanced). So either both have to stop at the (G) connection, or both have to skip it.

If there was a connection built at Atlantic (or at least an OOS transfer), I'd probably say to have both skip it, since (G) riders heading downtown can just transfer there.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,277,550 times
Then at least run the skip stop for longer intervals and on weekends. If I get out of work after 7pm (which isn't absurdly late) I should still have the option to take both the J and Z skip stop trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City