Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:05 PM

33,873 posts, read 47,070,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Just buy meat and fish and a couple vegetables and POOF goes the $600.
No people dont know how to shop. I went to Western Beef the other day and spent 100 bucks on bacon, ground beef, porkchops, box of burger patties, chicken, and pork ribs. The deep freezer is 75% full.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 PM

71 posts, read 149,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No people dont know how to shop. I went to Western Beef the other day and spent 100 bucks on bacon, ground beef, porkchops, box of burger patties, chicken, and pork ribs. The deep freezer is 75% full.
In another thread I saw somebody telling someone else to expect to spend over $1200 a month on food for a family of 5, and to expect to spend more when the kids get to middle school age. Gosh people don't know how to control their spending indeed.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
In another thread I saw somebody telling someone else to expect to spend over $1200 a month on food for a family of 5, and to expect to spend more when the kids get to middle school age. Gosh people don't know how to control their spending indeed.
That's retarded. I only make 50K a year and my wife doesn't work. Nobody goes hungry in my house. We always got food. It's called sticking to the budget.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:33 PM

71 posts, read 149,052 times
Quote:
That's retarded. I only make 50K a year and my wife doesn't work. Nobody goes hungry in my house. We always got food. It's called sticking to the budget.
I'm guessing these people don't even look at prices, or buy the most expensive brand in every category?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMW View Post
I'm guessing these people don't even look at prices, or buy the most expensive brand in every category?
Organic flow. Lol

Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 PM

943 posts, read 1,839,663 times
depends everyone consumes different amounts and also the choice of food they eat. you also have people who are into only organic, vegan or vegitarian and then you have also meat lovers. A person who is a female say 5.8 115 lbs is going to eat different then a Man who is 6 ft. 300 lbs. then you have people who also eat out a lot.

so there is no true factor to compare to

Old 06-24-2012, 03:00 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,285 times
There's more to it than just knowing how to shop. Sometimes you can't shop where the prices are low if you live in an expensive neighborhood.

I'm in a similar budget range as Kefir King. For my spouse and I we're spending between $600 and $800 a month on food and restaurants including alcohol and take-out.

Unfortunately I don't live in a cheap neighborhood for grocery shopping (Union Square EV) and my closest options are TRader Joes, Whole Foods and Food emporium, sometimes I shop at associated but to my surprise it's not always cheaper. I'm busy enough where I can't always leave my neighborhood to grocery shop in cheaper areas. In addition I don't have a car and there's a limit to how much I can carry with my dinky little wheel cart.

90% of the time I do all the cooking from scratch, I don't buy processed foods except for mayo and an occasional box of high fiber cereal at Trader Joes.

We go out to a restaurant twice a month (usually for Sushi), and do take out once a week. Sadly take out for two is sometimes $40 or more where I live.

Meat is expensive and I'm not eating steak. I order medium quality cuts of meat from fresh direct in bulk to keep prices between 3 and 5 dollars a pound: chicken thighs, chicken breasts, pork chops and ground beef. If I have time I buy meat at Bayard Meat Market in Chinatown. I rarely buy seafood and if I do I buy it in chinatown for 50% of what it costs everywhere else. During the hotter summer months I buy hot dogs because when it's 98 deg with matching humidity the last thing you want to do is cook- I splurge on those and either get Nathans, Heb. Nt'l or delicious smoked veal hotdogs from the East Village Meat Market butcher. We do like our animal protein but we're not eating expensive cuts or seafood.

Produce is not the bulk of my food spending, it's animal protein and next in line is dairy and breads. If I didn't buy my meat from Fresh Direct in bulk or Bayard Market, I'd have to increase my budget by $200 dollars to buy it at local supermarkets. So while my budget for food is a lot, it does not mean that I'm not taking steps to save money wherever I can.

Produce and fruit can be gotten cheap, especially if I make a trip to chinatown, but I'm really limited by what I can carry. I would shop in Chinatown more if I could, but it's just not possible.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,716,285 times
Quote:
I went to WB a few years ago and found the meat freshness and quality at Western be on the questionable side. Perhaps I visited on an bad day, but the experience turned me off.

Also, just wanted to say that it's awesome that you have a deep freezer, I wish I could have one in my apartment and I'd stock up more on meat. My crummy freezer doesn't hold much so I can't always take advantage of meat sales, that really sucks since meat is the majority of my grocery bill.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:21 PM

545 posts, read 907,301 times
I can never figure out how much I spend food alone. It's to tedious a task for me. Kudos to those who do it. Do you subtract the none edibles from the grocery bill? Plus I would never remember ever quart of milk or Starbucks I pick up here and there. Rough estimate on food alone, for 3 in Brooklyn is about 350, before alcohol....lol

Old 06-24-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
I went to WB a few years ago and found the meat freshness and quality at Western be on the questionable side. Perhaps I visited on an bad day, but the experience turned me off.

Also, just wanted to say that it's awesome that you have a deep freezer, I wish I could have one in my apartment and I'd stock up more on meat. My crummy freezer doesn't hold much so I can't always take advantage of meat sales, that really sucks since meat is the majority of my grocery bill.
Really? I'm surprised. Every time I go, the meat is so fresh. I make it a point to smell it as I'm putting it away (I stash it all in Ziploc bags and label it i.e. porkchops - 6) and the meat literally has no smell to it. Even raw chicken is very faint. Steaks nice and red. Never had an issue. Maybe you did go on an off day, nobody's perfect. But I have had nothing but good experiences with them.

This is similar to what I have, small and does the trick:

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...delNo=CF1011PS

The deep freezer is important for survival! Lol

You should really find a way to get one.....you can even put it in ur closet if u can find somebody to put an outlet in for you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City