Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
So very true. The E or F in Queens runs express through queens making it very fast to get to Manhattan. Plus Astoria and LIC are super close and very nice areas. If you want to pay almost 20k to get into a place in Chelsea and then pay like 3700 a month just to say you live there, go nuts. I would laugh when people would get Cashiers checks for these things. The security, broker's fee, and 2 months rent along with god knows how many other charges are what I pay in a full year for my very large 1 bedroom.
I met one girl who paid nearly 10k to sign her deed on a lease for a 1 bedroom which used to be a massive studio. This was in meat packing district, after broker fee, security deposit and first months rent. But she said it was worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
I like out of town women, I enjoy them far more than stuck up, cold shoulder local women. But I do have to agree that the past few transplant women I met do hold things against me for not living in Manhattan. I had one girl ask me when im going to move out of the bronx. I do agree its an image concious thing to live in Manhattan especially for women. Also note some of these transplant women dont live in glamer, just an iphone or blackberry and a mattress, while dudes buy them food and drink or eat for free at work while the rent is paid for mom and dad in kentennbrasklabaminnesoregia. Lately I have came across nyc women who also brushed me off for being well spoken and coming from bronx. One girl brushed me off at copia lounge, she asked where I live and I said bronx, the momentum went down hill. Sad part is she from the hood too, castle hill to be exact but was educated in a far away place and developed a transplant attitude.

I also notice with employers hold prefrence to hiring people living in manhattan over outer boroughs.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:34 AM

33 posts, read 81,742 times
these women want to live a "sex and the city" lifestyle. well thats just what I think. I dont see why I should room with 3-4 roomates just to have a manhattan address. lol. these transplants act like they are better than ppl bcuz they sip on starbucks everyday with an iphone or ipad. the bronx was burning as well as bk back in the day, but for some reason it seems like the birth place of hip hop gets the "burnt" end of the stick.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
Basically, yes, I think. Unless one lives in the cool or posh areas of Brooklyn. Of course, people with such an opinion will be criticized. But, simply as a matter of fact, yes, Manhattanites on average look down their noses at the outer boroughs.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:01 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
$1050 a month for a spacious 1br with a backyard and parking for your car? And no extra cost for the parking? But even if you DID pay for your parking there as well, $1050.00 is quite a low amount for New York City to get a one-bedroom & then in what I surmise is either a standalone house or a townhouse or else a garden apartment (rather than a typical multi-floor, multiple dwelling apartment building) and to have a backyard as well. And Middle Village, to my recollection, is no slum. You got a good deal!!!

Do you have the apartment all to yourself? Or instead, do you have to share with roommates or housemates?
I live with my fiance. Its a privately owned 3 family townhouse with driveway space for 2 cars. Being as I'm the only resident with a car, I have it all to myself. Middle Village is actually very nice. I have the surburban feel and am only a 15 minute drive from the city. What makes this area so affordable is the fact that it's a 2 fare zone. That's unless you're within decent walking distace from the M train. If not, you're going to have to catch a bus once you get off on Metropolitan. I have a friend who just moved into a similar apt less than 10 minutes away in Williamsburg minus the parking and backyard and pays $1800.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 AM

I work for a major advertising/marketing firm and its funny when I see these young men and women scrounging together like mice in a hole just to live in Manhattan when in fact not even the ones who can actually afford it such as the big execs or ceo of the company lives here. Instead the big wigs commute in from places such as Westchester and Connecticut.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Is the fact that it's a 2 fare zone.
What the heck does that even mean in 2012 with free transfers?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What the heck does that even mean in 2012 with free transfers?
Yeah I know but that's what they call it. Like I stated in an earlier post, when I lived in the east village, my commute home from the train was twice as long as it is now living in Queens.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Yeah I know but that's what they call it. Like I stated in an earlier post, when I lived in the east village, my commute home from the train was twice as long as it is now living in Queens.
I hear you, if someone did a map of actual commute times from the different partts of the city to, say, midtown there would be a lot of assumptions challenged I'm sure. There are swaths of Queens quicker than whole chunks of the city, and parts of Westchester quicker than parts of Brooklyn.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
who cares what other people think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City