Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 09:11 AM

657 posts, read 716,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
DO NOT FAST!!!! Especially in this heat, the worst thing you can do is not take in the protein and calories that you need. We need to eat to lose weight, it's what speeds up your metabolism. When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I went to a nutritionist every week and monitored what I ate. We need to eat 5-6 times a day. Follow a diabetic diet with exercise and I guarantee you will lose weight. I gained only 21 lbs during pregnancy. It was actually a God-send, otherwise I probably would have binged on the "eating for 2" excuse. But please, do not fast. It's not healthy. Try the cabbage soups if you want or other diets but you do need to eat. I hate seeing people starve themselves. You might drop a few pounds but it could lead to other health issues.

If you can follow these tips, you'll lose weight before you know it. I used to follow diabetic menus that I found online just to get an idea of what and how to eat throughout the day. I know you're not diabetic (at least I don't think so) but it's a healthy way to get started
  • Limiting foods that are high in sugar
  • Eating smaller portions, spread out over the day
  • Being careful about when and how many carbohydrates you eat
  • Eating a variety of whole-grain foods, fruits and vegetables every day
  • Eating less fat
  • Limiting your use of alcohol
  • Using less salt
thanks for caring ----- i got you not fasting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
thanks for caring ----- i got you not fasting
Good but really, once you become used to eating a certain way, it's easier to maintain keeping off the weight. If you fast, you could become more prone to binge eating and you don't want to do that. Even those cleanses that I see everyone doing, you have to be careful with those. I fall off the wagon all the time and sometimes it's hard to follow a certain diet. I can drop 10 lbs easy in a week just by cutting carbs and certain snacks. Sometimes we don't realize what we're eating until we write it down. I had to do that with the nutritionist and she pointed out I was either not eating enough or too much of something in one day that I shouldn't.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Good but really, once you become used to eating a certain way, it's easier to maintain keeping off the weight. If you fast, you could become more prone to binge eating and you don't want to do that. Even those cleanses that I see everyone doing, you have to be careful with those. I fall off the wagon all the time and sometimes it's hard to follow a certain diet. I can drop 10 lbs easy in a week just by cutting carbs and certain snacks. Sometimes we don't realize what we're eating until we write it down. I had to do that with the nutritionist and she pointed out I was either not eating enough or too much of something in one day that I shouldn't.
can you name the carb? bread? pasta? what?

Old 06-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalebx28 View Post
can you name the carb? bread? pasta? what?
For me, cutting bagels and breads for breakfast helped a lot. I'm a carb junkie and eat a bagel almost every morning. I cut it down to maybe once a week. Other days I have some kind of bran cereal or egg whites on multigrain toast. I like cereals that aren't sweet and I use 1% or 2% milk all the time. I have pasta 1-2 times a week but try to limit bread when eating pasta. There are pastas made with artichoke flour but they can be expensive and not easy to find. Just need to limit how much you eat. I'm Italian and when we eat pasta, we don't eat a 1/2 cup serving. A box of pasta feeds only 4 in my family

Potatoes are another thing. I need a starch with my meal so I trick my brain into thinking a sweet potato, yam or some kind of squash, like butternut, is my starch. I like them baked and just a little bit of butter satisfies me.

I cut out a lot of take out. We don't order Chinese food like we used to but sometimes I would order steamed chicken and broccoli. It wasn't worth ordering take out for that lol

Cutting out pizza was hard too. I would eat only one slice.

I ate more fruits/veggies and yogurt during the day for snacks. If you can try to stick to a schedule, that helps a lot too. My problem now is that I get home from work late and eating dinner at 8:30-9:00 isn't good. I should be having a snack at that time.

This was my schedule and just a few examples of what I ate:

7:30-half an English muffin, piece of fruit and 1 cup of low fat milk
10:30-snack-1 fruit and either a cup of low fat milk or a cup of tea (no sugar)
12:30-lunch-small piece of grilled chicken and salad or a healthy tuna salad (no mayo). I would eat crackers instead of having it on a sandwich
2:30-snack-rice cake and water or a pack of the peanutbutter cracker sandwiches and water or milk
5:30-dinner was either small portion of pasta with a nice sized salad, or 4-6 ounces of lean fish or salmon, salad and veggies, or turkey burger on either a wheat bun or no bread. I ate it with thick slices of big tomatoes.
8:30-9:00-snack-1 scoop of icecream (don't deny yourself of treats-just eat them in moderation), or a few small cookies, 1 cup of lowfat milk

I need to start eating on this schedule again except I'd probably be eating dinner at work.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:24 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Quote:
DO NOT FAST!!!! Especially in this heat, the worst thing you can do is not take in the protein and calories that you need. We need to eat to lose weight, it's what speeds up your metabolism. When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes. I went to a nutritionist every week and monitored what I ate. We need to eat 5-6 times a day. Follow a diabetic diet with exercise and I guarantee you will lose weight. I gained only 21 lbs during pregnancy. It was actually a God-send, otherwise I probably would have binged on the "eating for 2" excuse. But please, do not fast. It's not healthy. Try the cabbage soups if you want or other diets but you do need to eat. I hate seeing people starve themselves. You might drop a few pounds but it could lead to other health issues.

If you can follow these tips, you'll lose weight before you know it. I used to follow diabetic menus that I found online just to get an idea of what and how to eat throughout the day. I know you're not diabetic (at least I don't think so) but it's a healthy way to get started
  • Limiting foods that are high in sugar
  • Eating smaller portions, spread out over the day
  • Being careful about when and how many carbohydrates you eat
  • Eating a variety of whole-grain foods, fruits and vegetables every day
  • Eating less fat
  • Limiting your use of alcohol
  • Using less salt
Smoke atleast 30 cigarettes per day. Thats what keeps me fit. Speeds up my metabolism.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Smoke atleast 30 cigarettes per day. Thats what keeps me fit. Speeds up my metabolism.
I know that diet all too well. I call it the "caffeine and nicotine" diet lol...thought I don't smoke that many in a day..who has the time? lol

Old 06-28-2012, 03:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Something tells me this is going to come off like a silly question, but here goes anyway:

If you think you might have had a heart attack or a stroke, don't you think there are better options than seeking medical advice on C-D?
Why not? We are all experts, no?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:21 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Something tells me this is going to come off like a silly question, but here goes anyway:

If you think you might have had a heart attack or a stroke, don't you think there are better options than seeking medical advice on C-D?
I found that odd too.

But then again, OP thought he had a heart attack just because of a headache and dehydration when he had no signs of chest pain (aka HEART AREA).

Old 07-01-2012, 04:29 PM

hey i hope the bbq did not ruin my diet......... must jog but who can jog in a heat wave..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 AM

well i gain 1 pound sitting 208 now
but am working hard -------so next week i should be at 204 or less
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City