Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellVersedStatenIslander View Post
I've lived in Todt Hill since '92. I remember growing up and not seeing many black or Latinos since the early 2000's. Still, relatively safe compared to other projects. I imagine its the same everywhere.

I would like to see a study that compares the white/black population changes since the influx of NYCHA residents who were transferred from other developments. It's not a racial issue, it's a class issue.

I'm surprised sociologists haven't jumped on such a rare opportunity to understand such things.
Check this map out: Zoomable map: 2000 to 2010 demographic changes

I did a calculation before, but I don't feel like doing it a second time. All Mid-Island NYCHA were plurality White back in 2000, but now Berry and South Beach are plurality Hispanic, and Todt Hill is plurality Black. (I think the White population in all 3 of them is around 25% or so)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:45 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Brooklyn rappers Ill Bill and Necro were Jewish (White) people who were born and raised in the PJ's!!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM

21 posts, read 64,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Brooklyn rappers Ill Bill and Necro were Jewish (White) people who were born and raised in the PJ's!!
Yes and constantly feel the need to remind their audience of that lol

Old 04-28-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah most of these limits across the board in housing are usually gross (pretax). Don't remember seeing many net if any at all.

But in any case the limit is at application. Not sure what the evaluation process is (if there is one at all) to remain in nycha. Is there some kind of recertification process like there is in section 8?

NYCHA does an annual household income review. Usually if your income increased they will just raise your rent, rather than evict you. Unless, of course, the housing manager doesn't like you.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Check this map out: Zoomable map: 2000 to 2010 demographic changes

I did a calculation before, but I don't feel like doing it a second time. All Mid-Island NYCHA were plurality White back in 2000, but now Berry and South Beach are plurality Hispanic, and Todt Hill is plurality Black. (I think the White population in all 3 of them is around 25% or so)
There is a census tract in my neighborhood that has nothing but the Pelham Parkway Houses(NYCHA) in it.It shows the 2010 population demographics as 19% White.

So there are still a lot of white people living in this project anyway.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
There is a census tract in my neighborhood that has nothing but the Pelham Parkway Houses(NYCHA) in it.It shows the 2010 population demographics as 19% White.

So there are still a lot of white people living in this project anyway.
I've been searching for similar data sets for NYCHA developments but can't find any, only information pertaining to NYC as a whole and the individual boroughs. I think NYCHA has a newsletter every year that details your development's racial makeup though I'm not positive.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellVersedStatenIslander View Post
I've been searching for similar data sets for NYCHA developments but can't find any, only information pertaining to NYC as a whole and the individual boroughs. I think NYCHA has a newsletter every year that details your development's racial makeup though I'm not positive.
I only happened to notice it because I live in the area so I know the exact boundaries of the project.When I was looking at a recent census demographic map I realized the boundaries of 1 census tract were identical to the projects.

There is a separate ,high rise ,senior NYCHA building in my neighborhood called Boston Road Plaza.It is officially a division of Pelham Parkway Houses but is 4 or 5 blocks away from the main project and was built in the 70's.

Anyway,I have heard that the population in The Boston Road Plaza is more than 50% white and mostly Jewish.There are other large buildings in the same census tract so it's hard to separate out the population of the seniors project by itself.

This was an overwhelmingly white,jewish neighborhood until 20 or 25 years so none of this is really surprising.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-28-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
The Pomonok Houses in Flushing have a sizable white population, same with the projects in Forest Hills.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The current CEO of Goldman Sachs grew up in an East New York project. Back in the 60s.

Now lives on Central Park West ($26 million, paid in cash).

Old 04-29-2012, 03:43 PM

93 posts, read 194,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The current CEO of Goldman Sachs grew up in an East New York project. Back in the 60s.

Now lives on Central Park West ($26 million, paid in cash).
jajaj that ceo is mad hood then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City