U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
 
201 posts, read 919,824 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Well yeah in the context of NYC, specifically the public housing, the projects are made up of mostly non-White people.

But nationwide there are a lot of White people on some form of government assistance.
You have to realize Section 8 and Welfare are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I have been on both. EBT helps you eat. Section 8 Dictates where you live.
Most White People know about Section 8 and they know who lives there and they REFUSE to live there. Going to Welfare Office is one thing, but going to the Housing Authority is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT... Different levels of tolerance. This is why theres more White People on welfare than any other Race but at the same time White People don't live in the ghetto.

Like I said its the culture. Most Poor White People try to act rich even if they live in 8K a year and have 3 kids to support on that.
It is generally not accepted by mainstream America to be poor and White. I can tell you from personal experience that when you are visibly poor and white no one likes you. Poor Minority's don't really care for you and better off White People straight up hate you and think of you less than human.
The only reason I ever lived in Section 8 was because it was either that or the Salvation Army Homeless Shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
7,527 posts, read 12,703,725 times
Reputation: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
You have to realize Section 8 and Welfare are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

I have been on both. EBT helps you eat. Section 8 Dictates where you live.
Most White People know about Section 8 and they know who lives there and they REFUSE to live there. Going to Welfare Office is one thing, but going to the Housing Authority is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT... Different levels of tolerance. This is why theres more White People on welfare than any other Race but at the same time White People don't live in the ghetto.

Like I said its the culture. Most Poor White People try to act rich even if they live in 8K a year and have 3 kids to support on that.
It is generally not accepted by mainstream America to be poor and White. I can tell you from personal experience that when you are visibly poor and white no one likes you. Poor Minority's don't really care for you and better off White People straight up hate you and think of you less than human.
The only reason I ever lived in Section 8 was because it was either that or the Salvation Army Homeless Shelter.
Yeah I know they are separate programs but they all fall under the general umbrella of government aid. Your making generalizations. If you look up the stats there are a lot of White people in all of these programs. Section 8 comes in the form of single family homes in a lot of areas, and a lot of these areas are almost completely White. There are a lot of poor White people in this country. I almost feel sorry for them, because no one cares and they get forgotten about all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
 
1,536 posts, read 19,800 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
still has White people. Like Hustla typed, they are very segregated. You'll find black majority developments in black majority areas, Latino majority developments in Latino majority areas. There are housing projects where there is a significant white population, but these are senior citizen only buildings.
That's a good break down. But StPetes, hear out NooYork.

It's true there are more poor Whites then any other racial group in the USA. There are more Whites period.

However the rates are higher much among Blacks and Hispanics and that's why we get the bad rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM
 
201 posts, read 919,824 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Yeah I know they are separate programs but they all fall under the general umbrella of government aid. Your making generalizations. If you look up the stats there are a lot of White people in all of these programs. Section 8 comes in the form of single family homes in a lot of areas, and a lot of these areas are almost completely White. There are a lot of poor White people in this country. I almost feel sorry for them, because no one cares and they get forgotten about all the time.
Ive never heared of that form of section 8.
However, your point is well taken.
I'm not poor anymore. (At least poverty stricken) but yeah back in the days I always felt like the only poor white person in the world. Cause I would go outside and see black people selling crack and prostitutes. Than I would go inside as see a show like Laguna Beach on TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
 
201 posts, read 919,824 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
That's a good break down. But StPetes, hear out NooYork.

It's true there are more poor Whites then any other racial group in the USA. There are more Whites period.

However the rates are higher much among Blacks and Hispanics and that's why we get the bad rep.
Yeah I already know that.
A rate or statistic doesn't make an individual person though.
I think poverty is bad and whatever race the person is doesn't change there suffering to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 09:49 AM
 
7,337 posts, read 10,190,509 times
Reputation: 2760
Are they tough like Fonzie or do they preach peaceful unity like Mike Stivic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Queens
841 posts, read 2,982,270 times
Reputation: 235
Dont the Chinese have public housing down in Chinatown? I think it was called Confucius Plaza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
2,806 posts, read 11,397,974 times
Reputation: 972
There was one project in Queens (I forget the name) that had a significant white population (at least a 1/3 or so) up until very recently. A judge stepped in a couple years ago and said that the white people were segregating themselves and ordered that no more white people be accepted into that particular project.

Kind of absurd if you ask me. Having a PJ be 1/3, while certainly an anamoly, is in violation of no law or ordinance. Its just more cr@p from limosine-liberal Judges.

EDIT: The place I was referring to is called the Pomonok Houses and its in Flushing, near Queens college

Worlds Apart in Queens - New York Times

Working Whites Not Allowed in Pomonok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 PM
 
8 posts, read 40,542 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There was one project in Queens (I forget the name) that had a significant white population (at least a 1/3 or so) up until very recently. A judge stepped in a couple years ago and said that the white people were segregating themselves and ordered that no more white people be accepted into that particular project.

Kind of absurd if you ask me. Having a PJ be 1/3, while certainly an anamoly, is in violation of no law or ordinance. Its just more cr@p from limosine-liberal Judges.

EDIT: The place I was referring to is called the Pomonok Houses and its in Flushing, near Queens college

Worlds Apart in Queens - New York Times

Working Whites Not Allowed in Pomonok
ah, thanks for that just been looking it up, seems absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2007, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
1,526 posts, read 3,770,889 times
Reputation: 272
Actually, it's true about Section 8--in other parts of the country you can, say, rent a house from a homeowner. Poor whites not on section 8 may also do this because in some areas it's still affordable enough and there's little or no apts in the area (i.e. lower middle class to middle class suburbs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top