U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 40,542 times
Default white people in public housing?

just a thought that popped into my head, but i was just wondering if there are still any white people in public housing in new york or the rest of america for that matter? if not when did they stop living there in general? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 08:54 AM

974 posts, read 2,335,482 times
I think New York City is the only city you will see some white people in the housing public projects. But not alot of them. Most of them are full with minorities, such as blacks and hispanics. I think the 70's was the time of the biggest white population decline in the NYC housing projects.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:56 AM

201 posts, read 919,824 times
Theres always a couple everywhere. It's most definatly not the norm.
I had a friend who lived in Queensbridge and his best friend who also lived there was White.

I'm White... I was born in a Public Housing Project in the 80s. There was another White family upstairs my Mom has told me.

I also lived in a couple growing up. There always seemed to be 1 or 2 white family's/people... Usually I was the 1 lol.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I think New York City is the only city you will see some white people in the housing public projects. But not alot of them. Most of them are full with minorities, such as blacks and hispanics. I think the 70's was the time of the biggest white population decline in the NYC housing projects.
Naw... Like I said, theres always a few who if they don't live in one they live right across the street.
This is my observation and Ive never lived in NYC before.
This one project I lived down the street once in the early 00's one of the most visible residents of the Project was a White dude who sold dope... Of course he really was a pretty rare occurance.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 AM

7,527 posts, read 12,703,725 times
There are plenty of White people on welfare, section 8, public housing, you name it. It's a stereotype that only "minorities," use these programs.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:18 AM

1,536 posts, read 19,800 times
Very very rare. Housing projects are highly segregated. You might see one ghetto White family in some Black/Latino NYCHA complexes. It ain't pretty.

I belive the Hassids have control of one though in Crown Heights. Could be wrong. Again highly segregated.

Outside of NYC it's actually more common to see more intermixing. People forget NYC is highly segregated.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
There are plenty of White people on welfare, section 8, public housing, you name it. It's a stereotype that only "minorities," use these programs.
Poor White people on Welfare usually live in Trailers, White Ghettos, or in small apartments in the suburbs.
I work at a grocery store in the suburbs and you would be suprised how many Middle Class looking Whites use food stamps.
Actually ive only seen a Black Person use food stamps at my store once, and every day theres White People using them.
This is a middle class area. NONE of the Black people who live here are poor, but there are plenty of Whites who financially are in s***. They just keep it on the low low.
I know alot of kids that look like stereotypical rich valley white kids in there teens, and they come from a single parent household and have to work to help there moms pay there high rent.

Its part of the culture. Alot of Poor White People would rather find a small crappy apartment on the right side of town and starve to death than live "decent" in the Black Ghetto.

I most definatly wouldn't say "plenty". Its actually pretty rare.
I'm just saying that they exist, and there is almost always a few of them even in the worst ones.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:22 AM

1,737 posts, read 3,901,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Very very rare. Housing projects are highly segregated. You might see one ghetto White family in some Black/Latino NYCHA complexes. It ain't pretty.

I belive the Hassids have control of one though in Crown Heights. Could be wrong. Again highly segregated.

Outside of NYC it's actually more common to see more intermixing. People forget NYC is highly segregated.
The Hassids are in the north end of Marcy Houses, in Northern Bed-Stuy. They are in Crown Heights, but not in any projects there!

I thought the Kings Bay Houses were mostly Russian (or are they Mitchell-Lamas?)

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM

7,527 posts, read 12,703,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
Poor White people on Welfare usually live in Trailers, White Ghettos, or in small apartments in the suburbs.
I work at a grocery store in the suburbs and you would be suprised how many Middle Class looking Whites use food stamps.
Actually ive only seen a Black Person use food stamps at my store once, and every day theres White People using them.

Its part of the culture. Alot of Poor White People would rather find a small crappy apartment on the right side of town and starve to death than live "decent" in the Black Ghetto.

I most definatly wouldn't say "plenty". Its actually pretty rare.
I'm just saying that they exist, and there is almost always a few of them even in the worst ones.
Well yeah in the context of NYC, specifically the public housing, the projects are made up of mostly non-White people.

But nationwide there are a lot of White people on some form of government assistance.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:27 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,146,080 times
still has White people. Like Hustla typed, they are very segregated. You'll find black majority developments in black majority areas, Latino majority developments in Latino majority areas. There are housing projects where there is a significant white population, but these are senior citizen only buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City