Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,614 times

Advertisements

Since we are struggling to find a nice place in Forest Hills in our price range, we are branching out. I don't know much about Flushing.

Essentially looking for a fairly safe neighborhood that we can walk with our 13 month old daughter. We walk to parks now and love it. We have a car so parking is important. As is being within a subway if possible or a bus to a train.

What area's should we avoid? I've found some near the main street stop in Flushing but I don't know if this is a good area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Since we are struggling to find a nice place in Forest Hills in our price range, we are branching out. I don't know much about Flushing.

Essentially looking for a fairly safe neighborhood that we can walk with our 13 month old daughter. We walk to parks now and love it. We have a car so parking is important. As is being within a subway if possible or a bus to a train.

What area's should we avoid? I've found some near the main street stop in Flushing but I don't know if this is a good area.

It's not bad but I'll warn you-it's extremely busy. If you've been to Chinatown in the city, that's what I'd compare it to. I used to work in downtown Flushing and sometimes it took me 10 minutes just to walk less than 5 blocks. My brother lives off 43rd Ave and 158 St. Very quiet area and very close to Kissena Park where the playground and lake are. There's also 2 or 3 buses that go to the 7 train. The only thing is that it's very residential and there aren't a lot of stores very close by.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:22 AM

431 posts, read 659,273 times
I grew up in Flushing in the 80's and remember Colden Avenue. Is it still the same?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:50 PM

74 posts, read 125,376 times
It's funny that I'm hoping to move into an apartment there come 7/1.

From my experience, your best bet is image if Northern Blvd, Kissena Blvd, Holly Ave. and Parsons Blvd as forming a box. Avoid places inside the box as it will most likely be crowded, dirty, noisy. Also, it's very expensive due to all the Asian/hispanic/indian folks that want to live there.

As for safety, it's generally very safe in my experience. Although if you do run into trouble, don't expect people to help you out. At least that's the stories I've read/heard about in Flushing.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-25-2012, 04:20 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
East of Kissena Blvd, south of Northern Blvd and east of Main St are your more residential, quiet streets. I used to live near 164 St and 65th Ave, which is not bad but you have some public housing there. If you find some apartments, let me know where they are and I'll give you some input, if you like. I really like the area where my brother is but the prices of houses there was just too high for us to buy.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 PM

138 posts, read 379,140 times
I have been a resident of Flushing for the past decade. There are definitely busy parts and there are nice quieter areas. We now live in in North Flushing (almost on the border of Whitestone) and its very nice and quiet here. Parking is not too bad. Farthest street parking we've had to settle on was still within a one block distance. We are a 10 minute bus ride from downtown flushing (7 train station).

Anything near the 7 train stop will offer pretty much no parking, unless you enjoy driving in circles for a long long time....

Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

The only so-so part of Flushing proper I've ever heard about is a part called "Wastelands" in the area of Colden Avenue. I've never been there so I can't comment on the area. Even the area around Bland Houses to me is fairly quiet. Pomonok Houses in the southern part of Flushing IMO would be the worst part of the neighborhood. But even there is a most a slightly above-average crime neighborhood, maybe even average crime. Overall Flushing is safe.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-26-2012, 12:44 PM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times
North Flushing is a pretty good area
anywhere near the main street #7 subway stop... i would avoid as parking your car will be a nightmare
along main street there are tons of restaurants and food markets... i would avoid these areas as they are less than clean

anywhere decent, you will need to bus it to get to the subways

another option is places like Auburndale which is very quiet and there is a LIRR stop
there are also LIRR stops such Broadway stop around 162nd St and Northern and Murray Hill stop around 41st Ave and 149 St.

If you pass the LIE to the south, quiet area here as well but again, you are going to need to bus it to main street for the subway

commute on the #7 from Flushing to the city should be about 45mins on the express line.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:32 AM

366 posts, read 774,681 times
Default Looking for apartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
North Flushing is a pretty good area
anywhere near the main street #7 subway stop... i would avoid as parking your car will be a nightmare
along main street there are tons of restaurants and food markets... i would avoid these areas as they are less than clean

anywhere decent, you will need to bus it to get to the subways

another option is places like Auburndale which is very quiet and there is a LIRR stop
there are also LIRR stops such Broadway stop around 162nd St and Northern and Murray Hill stop around 41st Ave and 149 St.

If you pass the LIE to the south, quiet area here as well but again, you are going to need to bus it to main street for the subway

commute on the #7 from Flushing to the city should be about 45mins on the express line.
Any suggestion on which source I should use for this endeavor; i.e., local realtor, newspaper, or God forbid, Craigslist? Thanks.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:26 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Avoid Pomonok houses and the areas north of Northern Blvd or near College Point Blvd. Flushing is safe for the most part but some parts of it are extremely crowded, and dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City