Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 02:30 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Looking back even my parents who were well intentioned parents sometimes relied on public schools too much for certain things. I think it's a common mistake a lot of immigrant parents make actually...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,792,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes I am agreeing that they lacked respect! My issue is this: What were you doing when you were 11? Spending all day in church reading the bible? Never saying anything rude or disrespectful to anyone? Always the perfect child in every way? NOPE.

Kids do dumb things...and you were dumb and doing disrespectful things too. I am not absolving them of anything, but thier specific behavior is not surprising, and anyone who believes when they were a kid they were saints and never disrespectful is suffering from delusions, dimentia, or alzheimers (or maybe all 3).

The real issue is the chaperones. Where they simply sitting back watching? Were they busy doing other things and not watching the kids? THAT is the underlying issue. If nobody is correcting or watching these kids, they will run rampant..that's what kids do.
No, the real issue is not chaperons, it's parenting! At age 11 I would not have dared something like this because I knew the consequences would be a major a$$ whopping along with other punishments.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
You may not have dared something like this..but I am sure you dared other things. The point is, you were disrespectful also, maybe not exactly like this, but kids do what kids do. Just because you didn't do this exact thing does not mean you weren't also disrespectful or rude, even in public. Yes you got the beat down, but you learned...this may also happen to the kids.

And yes it is about the chaperone. If they were allowing this to happen they are culpable.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:05 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You may not have dared something like this..but I am sure you dared other things. The point is, you were disrespectful also, maybe not exactly like this, but kids do what kids do. Just because you didn't do this exact thing does not mean you weren't also disrespectful or rude, even in public. Yes you got the beat down, but you learned...this may also happen to the kids.

And yes it is about the chaperone. If they were allowing this to happen they are culpable.
I disagree. The attacks happened when I was 9-years-old. I woud've NEVER done anything like this and I don't think I know anyone who would do this as well. It seems like you're trying to excuse these kids just because they're 11. If they were 2 or 3, it might've been understandable...but 11?! By 11, you're smart enough to differentiate most right and wrong and have even the utmost common sense of what is considered wrong, even through your conscience.

It is clear that these kids don't have any remorse, don't have any respect.Yes, some of them were not even alive during that day so they don't have an insightful understanding, but everyone should know that it was a painful day. Like, I wouldn't even be throwing water balloons at the Veterans Memorials if i were that bored. Go to the park, play ball or join an afterschool program. When i was 11, I was at the park a lot and played different sports and I even stayed after school

Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM

I am agreeing with you..how many kids can comprehend remorse? Not many adults can! They don't have respect...yeah I agree with you there also...that's how kids are and thevast majority learn respect, remorse, and everything else IN TIME. Too bad so many adults never learned...hopefully they have learned a valuable lesson.

People get old and they forget what it is like being a kid, or like to rewrite history like they were angels and would never disrespect anyone or anything. Nevermind that most adults cannot comprehend life growing up today versus the 30s,40s,50s,60s etc.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
The reason why many adults don't learn remorse (and there are many of them) is because they did not learn remorse as kids. Childhood is the best time - and perhaps the only time - to learn values which one carries over as an adult.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM

Agreed....and there is no doubt that these kids will now have learned this lesson. The end. Now all you old farts can go back to knitting, sleeping, and complaining about everything else.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:29 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Best way to gauge if they will have learned their lesson is to see how their parents responded. Did the parents show remorse and discipline their kids? Or were they defensive - ie, blame someone else for lack of supervision, make the excuse that they were just being kids, etc. If they were defensive then believe me, the kids will not learn values in time or any time. They will carry their rudeness when they grow up and will teach the same to their own kids. Fine with me, as long as they keep their dirt on their side of the fence but that is often not the case.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM

Agreed but we don't know.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:32 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The same parents who deposit their kids at public school expecting the school to perform a transformation miracle to deliver their kids now in deficit as a result of non-reading, endless TV and observing parental bad-decision making, into college material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Public school isn't the issue. My kids go to public school. The issue is the parents who expect public schools to perform a miracle for the kids they have let down and not parented (I'm not talking about simple custodial care - food, roof, clothes, i'm talking about parenting.)

"And not all kids that go to public school fit the description you gave"
What the heck are you going on about? Did I say anything even near that? Its some chip on your shoulder that's got nothing to do with what I've said thats for sure.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. Perhaps you should be a little more clear. Your first post was misleading. If you are now saying that public school is not the issue then why do you keep mentioning "PUBLIC SCHOOL"?? There are also parents who expect private schools to handle the discipline. My daughter went to private school for 2 years before going to public school. There was a 5 yr old boy that BIT HER TWICE and bit other children. He never got expelled and the parent came along with this BS excuse, "oh he's only 5 and he's a boy. They're kids." When my daughter was in daycare, there were some unruly children. You know what the parents said? "Well, they're here ALL day. You can discipline them too." Honest to God, I have heard parents say that to the director. The point I'm making is that it doesn't matter what type of school they go to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City