Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Obsession with New York living, high priced cost of living, rental prices, crime rates, school districts, restaurants, young professionals, Sex in the City lifestyle, Manhattan unrealistic urban life

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,573 times

Advertisements

[quote=Hustla718;1604708]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysse157 View Post

I think the more important question is.

Who gives a ****?

So what NYC has more diversity.

I don't give a ****. This is more of that college bull****.

Most large cities have their share of diversity too.

When i'm looking for a resturant, I want good food, service, and a nice price. I don't give a **** if I see Ethiopions.

Every city in America offers this.

Some people are spoiled and have odd infactuations with things like "diversity". No it can't be diverse, it has to be the most diverse. No, it can't have a good resturant, it has to have a resturant of every nationality.

The hell is wrong with some people?
Thats one thing I most definatly agree with you Hustla... Its stupid.

I'm not gonna front. Some cultures I simply don't care for.
I love Latin Culture, Hip Hop Culture and Mainstream American culture.
I honestly don't give a crap about Ethiopian food, and I don't care for the way they dress. I also don't know there history, OR care.
Of course I have no problem with them, and I'm cool with them, I just don't seak out there culture.

On the other hand, take me to a Salvadorian Restaurant I will tear s*** up. I love that stuff. I love Latina Women too, I love the languages Portuguese and Spanish. I really LOVE that culture and appreciate it even though I am not a part of it.

NYC to me the more an more I research is looking more and more like less of a diverse city, and more of a massive collection of races that separate themselves from each other and hate each other.

I talk to people from NY all the time down here. shoot, about half the population down here is from NYC and that is not an exaggeration!

Ive met very few NY'ers who are not racist. Especially older Ethnic Whites.

Today I overheared these two Italians talking about how horrible certain parts of NY are and how Black and Hispanic People ruined them.
They mentioned Corona Queens, East NY, and a few other Former White Areas. They had never lived or visited the areas they spoke of. They just knew Black People lived there now so it was s***.

I mentioned the fact that I have Family Members who live in Bed-Stuy and he flipped. He started grilling me like crazy till I was almost forced to admit that my cousin isn't really my Cousin. He is one of my "Brothers" and best friends that was my parent/guardian for a few years as a child when times were tuff. A REALLY close family friend. We usually identify each other as cousins cause he is half black and Hispanic and I am White.
Almost everyone Ive ever told that fact to (about my cousin living in BK) has not only been shocked but brought up race and suggested he move to a place like Howard Beach.
Than when I tell them he is Black they say something like "Well good. He should stay where he belongs."

WTF? HOW IS THAT NOT RACIST.... SERIOUSLY!

If I wanna live in a "Diverse" place I ACTUALLY WANT WHERE I LIVE TO BE DIVERSE!
My neighborhood has everything. Tons of Asians, Whites, Blacks and recently Latinos. They are moving in by the truckloads, and I love it.

Just last week I saw this Asian Boy and Black Girl on my block teaching a White Girl how to ride her new Bike she got for her birthday. Dammit, THATS WHAT AMERICA IS ABOUT!

I will say f*** NYC and its "Diversity", cause every other thread here talks about race.
Pathetic.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:26 PM

842 posts, read 4,309,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
If I wanna live in a "Diverse" place I ACTUALLY WANT WHERE I LIVE TO BE DIVERSE!
My neighborhood has everything. Tons of Asians, Whites, Blacks and recently Latinos. They are moving in by the truckloads, and I love it.

Just last week I saw this Asian Boy and Black Girl on my block teaching a White Girl how to ride her new Bike she got for her birthday. Dammit, THATS WHAT AMERICA IS ABOUT!
What neighborhood is this?

Old 09-29-2007, 12:07 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I cannot speak for other people, but I can only speak for my love of New York. I have been living in Brooklyn for 15 years and studied/worked in Manhattan for 10.

1.Diversity - I don't think there is a single city in the world that has such amazing mix of people. You can be sitting on the train: korean to the left, irish to the right, african american across from you, russian across from korean etc...you got the point. You get to learn so much about other cultures, languages.

You act like you don't find diversity outside NYC. BTW, most neighborhoods in NYC are highly segregated.

2.Restaurants/bars/lounges - who can deny how great restaurants are in NY? How within few blocks you can find again: Chinese/Japanese/Mexican etc... Just go to the Village/Soho alone - everything within your reach. Just name it.

There are great restaurants in every city. Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, you can find that and more in any major city USA.

3.Central Park - yeah yeah yeah, it's not somewhere you want to hang out at night, but on the beautiful day, it's priceless.

There are cities with MUCH MORE greenspace then NYC.

4.Friendly people - that's right. People are very nice, helpful. Ask for directions, you get more then you ask for.

There are friendly people and *******s everywhere.

5.The sights: Times Square, Broadway, 5th Ave, Museums, Downtown Manhattan, Empire State Building... There is so much to see. I can honestly say, I can never get bored living here.

Every major city has attractions. More then enough to keep you expoloring for a long time.

6.Work opportunities. Need I say more?

NYC is not even one of the top job markets. In fact most new jobs in NYC are for low income people. Working at Starbucks for example.

Every city has work opportunities. The areas really thriving right now are in the Sunbelt.

7.Convenience - if you live in Manhattan or even Brooklyn, you just come out of your house and you can find drug store/deli/bank etc...on every corner. You don't need to get into the car to go anywhere. In the matter of fact, you don't need to own the car if you live in the city.

There are plenty of major cities that offer convience.

Where do you live though? The Upper East Side? You don't find banks and (Legal) drug stores on every corner of NYC. The average NYC neighborhood has a deli/corner store and supermarket somewhere within walking distance.

There are so many reasons why people will pay a fortune to live in the little hole of the apartment here in the city, but it's mostly either young adults who like to work and enjoy life in the city, or wealthy people who can afford it. And the thing is living in the city is an experience. It's an experience that I would recommend.
I don't live in the city because I have a family and quite honestly we will be moving to suburbs, but I do recommend it for anyone who is young and wants to live the city life.

Agreed, some young people might like it (if they live in a desireable area that is, one with things to do, AKA unaffordable). Many family will have a hard time (unless they are rich).

Edited to add: I do also want to admit that there some things that annoy me about NYC, like rat race. The whole NY weather climate is terrible.

Also, I wrote my post before I read all other responses and I want to say one thing...I really don't care whether or not people from other cities like NY. The thing is this city's population is huge and I would prefer to surround myself with people who love and care about this city like I do. I'm not saying I will live here forever (hate the climate), but I definitely think this city is one of a kind. I'm not really interested in convincing anyone why NY is great and to each its own really. The truth of the matter is NYC is not everyone's cup of tea. Just like any city.

Personal opionion, cool.
Read responses in bold.

Quote:
I think that I fell for that too. I thought OP wants to know New Yorkers opinion of why they are obsessed with NY, but what I think OP was looking for is validation of his/her own dislike of the city.
That is your opinion, but many New Yorkers are responding with their own agreements with the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post

When i'm looking for a resturant, I want good food, service, and a nice price. I don't give a **** if I see Ethiopions.

I don't think this is about you. Other people don't feel the way you do. Yeah, it's time you got outta there.
Angry? Your wrong. The average person prefures good service, good food, and a good price before diversity when it comes to restuarants. Diversity doesn't even cross the average persons mind. Only wierdo's must have a table near Ethiopions for diversity.

BTW, NYC is not the only city with a vast selection of ethnic food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
[QUOTE=max's mama;1606896]I think that I fell for that too. I thought OP wants to know New Yorkers opinion of why they are obsessed with NY, but what I think OP was looking for is validation of his/her own dislike of the city.[/QUOTE]

They can always leave NYC. It's cheaper elsewhere. I guess you become bitter after living in that city for so long. That's why I said it's for the 20-40 somethings - with high energy and a love for that which the city has to offer.
Yikes, maybe a good thing I left if you get comments like you see here! I was lucky - grew up there in the 60s and 70s and absolutely loved it!
You act as though NYC is the only place in America with high energy entertaining neighborhoods. It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
NYC to me the more an more I research is looking more and more like less of a diverse city, and more of a massive collection of races that separate themselves from each other and hate each other.
Your right, not only in terms of ethnicities but business. Mom and pop stores are being swallowed by big name chains like Starbucks.

As for racism. NYC is among the most segregated cities in the USA. The term "melting pot" expired a century ago when the city began to racially diversify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Not NYC.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,382,313 times
Whatever, Hustla718. Not interested to join this discussion with you, no offense.
I already said that I'm expressing my own love for NY, you don't have to share it.
And your argument is getting old. Everything I say, your answer is: "well, other cities have the same thing". Duh, rocket science.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:56 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,649 times
Quote:
Whatever, Hustla718. Not interested to join this discussion with you, no offense.
I already said that I'm expressing my own love for NY, you don't have to share it.
And your argument is getting old. Everything I say, your answer is: "well, other cities have the same thing". Duh, rocket science.
Max's Mama,

Everything you said was accurate, though Hustla weakly attempted, without success, to counter what we both said.

I totally agree because he refuses to actually read what we say - just wants to hear himself talk. As I said, before, it's not about him, but he thinks it is. He is the spokesman for NYC. Yeah - r-i-g-h-t.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:19 AM

I was never looking for any validation of my own dislike. I said I may move back.[/i]

Everything you said was well put OP but I would like to give a different perspective. I know of a couple who make a living - not a great living - but a living in NYC - one is a proofreader at the NY Times and the other is an administrative assistant in a financial firm in Manhattan - not great jobs - but fine for them. They aren't interested in doing more than renting a very small flat in Manhattan, taking walks, going to bookstores, seeing an off-Broadway play once in a while and just hanging out in the city.

(As I said before, I think it is a city for 20-40 somethings - either single or couples - because I think it is a city that demands a lot of a person.) They are free to move again when they wish. But they wanted to live in a place where when they walk out of their apartment building, they are never bored, i.e. everywhere you go you see something different - shops, people, lots of activity. (In the old days the immigrant women would grab chairs from their apartments and sit outside just to watch the people pass by.) They like the mix of old apartments next to apartments with doormen and where, on the subway, everyone shares equal status - the Wall Street types sweating in the subways (because it is the fastest way to get to their jobs) with the new immigrant looking for work. They can go to any one block in Manhattan and may never see a repeated face; they laugh at the fact that people fight and argue out loud here; and also that it never becomes really, really quiet until about 4:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m.

I could go on and on, but this is to explain why some people find the city enjoyable and exciting. Another perspective.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:30 AM

[I will define it as people who should have something, but choose to have nothing because they love New York so much.

I do agree this applies to some people: I had a friend, in the 70s, who rented a very small apartment in a brownstone near Columbus Circle. Rent was reasonable until eventually the area underwent renewal and became prime real estate. Her landlord wanted the building to go condo, so everyone moved except her. He offered her $150,000 (back in the 70s) to move and she refused. He took her to court to try to get her out and lost the case. What happened is that he was stubborn and wealthy enough to not rent it out and she remained alone in the building in her small apartment for quite a number of years.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:26 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,693 times
I think that is great we should all be happy like them. I am tired of the whiners and complainers. Does it hurt to see New York turn it to what it is becoming Yes of course, but does that mean you should become a statistic of this change hell no. I am obsessed with New York too, but my obsession meant moving away to gain experience so I can move back to the area (preferably Connecticut though) not complaining about housing, jobs and everything else. I guess I should have worded the question different. Maybe it should have been something like "why do people choose to be mediocre in New York when they can do so much more". I really mean it when I say choose because some of us are in a position where they can't just pack up and go, but there are many of us that can and I would like to see them do it. I am about motivating people. I don't understand why the poster earlier thought I was trying to validate any dislike for New York.Times change if you want to make it in NY you will have to be more creative thats all Im saying. It is depressing to hear people talk about they cant move becuase they don't know anybody here or VA is boring. I think people need to get their priorities straight. Your career is second to your family. Your career pays the bills. I guess when you were raised on the streets like me you see people who don't even leave their borough and you understand how many people don't leave the city. When you are broke in New York you are not maximizing its potential, thus it is really not better than a Virginia or a Pennsylvania.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:13 PM

201 posts, read 1,282,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
This is in NC, not NYC.

It boggles my mind people leave neighborhoods just because other people move in.
I know a few racist people who live near where I live but even if they get completely surrounded by minority's they don't like they just stay anyway.
Besides most people shun racism here, and all Whites an Blacks are considered the same. an Irish dude is looked at the exact same as a Italian, they are both White.
Unless you go out in the sticks in the middle of no where *Coughs* Jena *Cough* than the people are just f***ed up.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:13 PM

Now I get where you're coming from OGPlife. I'm all for people making a change if they're fed up with whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City