U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:54 AM

1,004 posts, read 811,848 times
If you have a bad feeling after visiting it a couple times, then no, don't move there. I don't get why this is even a question. You are asking about a feeling. Living in Washington Heights, you have to assume some aspect of criminality surrounds you. You are either comfortable with it, or not. I get stares for being unmarried with a child and having tattoos from all the old russian jews in FH. I'm not afraid of them though unlike I would with a drug dealer that is probably doing far worse then setting up shop outside your building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:26 PM

6,867 posts, read 11,302,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericomposer702 View Post
Thanks for all the advice!
...none of which you listened to

Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 PM

14 posts, read 11,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, I selectively listened to some of it...

Like replies, #3, #9, and #14; i.e. the things I wanted to hear

I will keep you guys updated on what I take!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 AM

2,785 posts, read 2,386,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
LOL Henna!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:17 AM

6,199 posts, read 3,528,521 times
nope.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM

877 posts, read 832,997 times
If it really bothers you and you feel like you can't take it much longer, then yes. I'd rather be living in a small apt without any smoke blowing from the outside than live in a nice place yet have weed blow in my apt all the time.

I can tell you that recently, more and more people n my block have been smoking weed and it blows into my apartment, I can't breathe and sleep well.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:24 AM

601 posts, read 455,624 times
Quote:
I've lived in Harlem for some years now. It doesn't bother me that my neighbors out on the street may deal drugs. They know my face; they know I'm cool...

However, I have to move now, and the place I was looking at: I was waiting in front for the broker with my friend, and some guy was obviously giving us that "you guys don't belong here" look. He then moved towards my friend, my friend moved out of the way, as he grabbed a huge stash of weed from inside the bottom of a light pole. At this point, I decided it's best we make our way out of there...

This was in Washington Heights, not far from the 168th St stop. However, the block definitely had its own "aura," and people didn't pass through here who didn't need to (hence the looks we were getting).

Now, I know this stuff goes on up here. But not being a neighborhood "regular," I felt a bit uncomfortable.

What say ye? Avoid, or no big deal?
Why do you even have to ask? Drug dealer at your front door = THERE ARE BETTER LIVING OPTIONS.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 AM

944 posts, read 275,005 times
Quote:
Went back today, saw the place- seemed fine. It's really close to the express train, and there seems to be activity going on.

Plus, I may very well live on a block where harder stuff is being dealt. At least, my neighbor here told me he knows a guy who has the best cocaine who will deliver right to our door, and it is much better than the stuff the guys on our block have. I guess this is just the reality of living up here. Too bad my only indulgences are caffeine and (to a lesser degree) alcohol; otherwise, I'd be having a rockin time up here...

I'm going to hang out over there this evening- see if I still feel good about it. It's a pretty good deal, and my time is running out, so I need to decide soon...

Thanks for all the advice!

sorry your posts ar HYSTERICAL......... yeah why don't you hang out at night maybe that weed dealer can tell you all the late nite spots to get your munchies..........HAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAA

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM

10,978 posts, read 10,002,448 times
How much was "the weed" going for out front?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:13 PM

14 posts, read 11,489 times
OK, here's an update for all of you dear friends:

I found a much bigger place that's even closer to the (express!) train, and even has an elevator (which makes moving this upright piano a lot easier...). It's $50/mo more expensive, but I felt it's well worth it.

So, unfortunately, this thread has run its course; furthermore, I will not be able to make new friendships in that neighborhood and perhaps pick up some referral fees for introducing them to a few of my "yuppy" friends...

I KID!

thanks for everyone's 2 cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City