Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 07:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times

Advertisements

I'm scratching my head over the duality of:
1. Urban China is immensely wealthy.
2. Help can he hired for peanuts.

Does anyone see the dichotomy here? Either the median income is HIGH or it is LOW but it is not both. Are the nannies brought in ddaily from Bangladesh? Is there a de facto slave system in operation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:58 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
It is just due to different cost of labor. hiring a nanny is very common in China, and not considered luxury. For many families, they can afford a nanny, but cannot afford a car.
OK, why are you still arguing this? It is not "the norm for Chinese society", it is the norm for only a subset of that society.

If you have HALF the population with a per capita income of $750 A YEAR they aren't hiring nannies at $300 A MONTH

Is this simply some elitist thing where you disregard the majority of the population, when making proclamations about the country, because they are poor as church mice?

Old 06-29-2012, 08:10 AM

1,110 posts, read 982,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
OK, why are you still arguing this? It is not "the norm for Chinese society", it is the norm for only a subset of that society.

If you have HALF the population with a per capita income of $750 A YEAR they aren't hiring nannies at $300 A MONTH

Is this simply some elitist thing where you disregard the majority of the population, when making proclamations about the country, because they are poor as church mice?
It is just like what you said 1 million home is not even considered upper middle class in NYC. In US, the median home value is only 160 K. so anything above this figure should be considered upper middle class.
People only compare things based on their experience. I won't care how much a peasant makes in rural china, just like you would not bother how much a house would cost in Montana. It is totally irrelevant.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I'm scratching my head over the duality of:
1. Urban China is immensely wealthy.
2. Help can he hired for peanuts.

Does anyone see the dichotomy here? Either the median income is HIGH or it is LOW but it is not both. Are the nannies brought in ddaily from Bangladesh? Is there a de facto slave system in operation?
nannies are from rural area, which might be poorer than Bangladesh

Old 06-29-2012, 08:15 AM
bg7

Quote:
It is just like what you said 1 million home is not even considered upper middle class in NYC. In US, the median home value is only 160 K. so anything above this figure should be considered upper middle class.
People only compare things based on their experience. I won't care how much a peasant makes in rural china, just like you would not bother how much a house would cost in Montana. It is totally irrelevant.

Right, thats why I said IN NYC.
The whole argument is about the context. You said IN MY COUNTRY.

Its a "face" thing, I get it.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Right, thats why I said IN NYC.
The whole argument is about the context. You said IN MY COUNTRY.

Its a "face" thing, I get it.
OK. so it is norm in big cities. And where did you get that 750 a year per capita income for half of China's population? based on CNN story in 1990? LOL.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 AM
bg7

Quote:
OK. so it is norm in big cities. And where did you get that 750 a year per capita income for half of China's population? based on CNN story in 1990? LOL.
No, The China Daily. The per capita rural income for 2009, the most recent year for reliable stats, was about 5,000 yuan. Its also available on other sites.

Wikipedia, apparently quoting the "National Bureau of Statistics" states:
"The urban per capita net income stood at 17,175 yuan ($2,525) in 2009, in contrast to 5,153 yuan in the countryside, with the urban-to-rural income ratio being 3.33:1, according to figures from the National Bureau of Statistics.

Ho ho, eh.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No, The China Daily. The per capita rural income for 2009, the most recent year for reliable stats, was about 5,000 yuan. Its also available on other sites.

Wikipedia, apparently quoting the "National Bureau of Statistics" states:
"The urban per capita net income stood at 17,175 yuan ($2,525) in 2009, in contrast to 5,153 yuan in the countryside, with the urban-to-rural income ratio being 3.33:1, according to figures from the National Bureau of Statistics.

Ho ho, eh.
These stats are just crap. In china, people use cash transaction all the time. So there is no way of accurately estimating the real income. And it is even more difficult to estimte the income for rural people. they farm, and they eat their own product. as long as these farm products are not sold and consumed by themselves, it is not included in their income. Even so, the numbers here seem too low. the per capital GDP for the country now is around 6000 USD. If urban population can only make 2525 a year, where does the rest of the GDP go?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:15 AM
bg7

Quote:
These stats are just crap. In china, people use cash transaction all the time. So there is no way of accurately estimating the real income. And it is even more difficult to estimte the income for rural people. they farm, and they eat their own product. as long as these farm products are not sold and consumed by themselves, it is not included in their income. Even so, the numbers here seem too low. the per capital GDP for the country now is around 6000 USD. If urban population can only make 2525 a year, where does the rest of the GDP go?
Are you allowed to say to those in The Party, or will your cmputer get shut down?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:17 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
I think it's funny you say that because the Chinese culture regarding cash is also here in the U.S. I work for a bank. I've worked the front end as a teller and now I'm in Compliance. The true income will never be known because the Chinese never keep their eggs in one basket and will always pay for just about anything in cash (or even a cashier's check ).

So, based on your comment about estimating real income, how will you be able to prove your income/salary to the banks? Imo, you won't be able to get a mortgage, not the way banks are asking for documents these days. I totally respect anyone who wants to live a certain lifestyle that they're accustomed to but you have to understand that while the salary might be more in China and the services, rents, entertainment are cheaper in China, that all goes out the window here in the U.S., especially NYC. Based on your monthly income and the lifestyle you wish to continue, NYC/Westchester/Long Island probably are not the best places for you. You said something about Montana. All joking aside, you can live a luxurious life in other states on that salary. That might be something to consider unless you are firm on being close to an Asian community or unless your company cannot send you there. Then Montana really wouldn't be a good place lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City