Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:19 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
It feels like the country, but we're within 15 minutes of a large number of towns, art museums, galleries, restaurants, parks, and other "urban" amenities. There are also thousands of acres of nature preserves with stunning hiking trails and lakes for swimming. To me, it is the perfect balance.
I'd probably shoot myself if I lived on a farm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
I understand--I lived in Brooklyn for 35 years and almost shot myself on a daily basis. Different strokes...

Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 AM

43 posts, read 155,746 times
brownstones are probably out, it was more of an aspiration than a reality.

renting is an option, just seems silly to not take advantage of a relocation policy that will cover closing costs to get into a home. we are most likely looking in the burbs, found some homes in Kinnelon online today that looked interesting. anyone know anything about that area, commute to grand central, schools, diversity, etc.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:22 AM

922 posts, read 3,861,036 times
Quote:
Renting is an option, just seems silly to not take advantage of a relocation policy that will cover closing costs to get into a home.
This is a very big, very expensive decision and the NYC metro area and real estate market is like no other in the country. I'm just recommending that you take your time. I hope you find a home and an area you and your family will love.

Quote:
Brownstones in Park Slope start at closer to 2 Million and run up to 5 Million. 3 Bedrooms start at about 800 to 900K . To get a brownstone for 1.3M, you'll have to go to Bed Stuy or another "gentrifying" area.
@ dma1250: Yeah - I understimated the Brownstone prices, but I think your estimates for 3BRs are a little high, at least in my neck of the woods. I've been looking in Marine Park, Midwood, Gerritsen Beach and Madison and have found OK (remember I said "nothing special") 3BRs with asking prices of $450-$600K. I'm told the selling prices are often considerably less. I get the feeling that the national real estate crash is beginning to show itself here a bit.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,434 times
I can undestand why Luchador recommended Bedford Park, we love it here too and it sounds like the OP could afford a house here--they may ask 600K for 2 family, but I don't think that is the selling price. However, it would be a poor fit for anyone looking for a suburban environment or a majority white area. The local school is not good, although I hear there's a good chartger school here, and another one in the works.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
UpstaterInBklyn, I meant 3Br's in Park Slope. I agree that you can certainly find ones in other areas of Brooklyn for far less than 800K.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM

43 posts, read 155,746 times
what about kinnelon, anyone know much about that area such as commute to grand central, schools, etc.

we are coming in a week or so to look at properties before deciding on the move, just some many options it's overwhelming

Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM

91 posts, read 473,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megale View Post
looking for any useful information. we are currently entertaining a job offer for my husband in manhattan and have no clue about the east coast. things important to us are schools (two elementary aged kids), friendly neighborhood, and a decent commute to the city.

we are both still in our 20s so a pretty young family. early research is steering me to some of the NJ burbs, but even there i am not sure where to start. any advice, stay away froms, anything would be helpful.

couple of other questions...

do you only pay NYC tax if you live in one of the 5 boroughs?
what are the real estate taxes like in the NY / NJ area in terms of % of value?

thanks a bunch. we are exciting about the opportunity, just so much to learn before making a decision!

NYC tax is only for people who live in the city, except for city employees who pay it either way. It is a resident tax, not a true income tax...and there is no longer a commuter tax. You will only pay New York State tax regarless because its based on where you work.

The NYC Metro area consists of 21 million people. There is every type of neighborhood imaginable and probably some you have never even seen. Imagine the neighborhood you want, its here. The suburban schools in NYC are far superior to those in many areas of the country outside of the northeast. There are numerous high school with extremely high median SAT scores...most cities only have one or two high schools like this. This gives you options to find a neighborhood with great schools that you really like as opposed to being confined to the one best school district. Also the private schools can be unreal in the suburbs (ie. greenwich country day) and in the city (ie dalton).

Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,906 times
If you do not live in NYC then you don't pay PIT (personal income tax). They did away with Non-resident PIT in 1999. You can get this information right on the NYC Comptroller's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City