Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 PM

33 posts, read 48,788 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, first post. I currently live in San Diego (born and raised) but I'm not a surfer so I find it to be pretty boring. Im looking to move to New York within the next two years. Ive done a ton of research on Manhattan but not so much the boroughs. I am continually saddened to see that so much of what makes new york new york is being torn down to make way for apple stores and condos. What neighborhood in NYC (boroughs included) are somewhat affordable and still have that retro new york character. I'm looking for something thats been relatively unchanged architecturally and culturally over the past 20 or so years. I dont want to move to a bastardized part of the city thats lost all of its grit and culture...Thanks and cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 11:59 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneFnR View Post
Hey guys, first post. I currently live in San Diego (born and raised) but I'm not a surfer so I find it to be pretty boring. Im looking to move to New York within the next two years. Ive done a ton of research on Manhattan but not so much the boroughs. I am continually saddened to see that so much of what makes new york new york is being torn down to make way for apple stores and condos. What neighborhood in NYC (boroughs included) are somewhat affordable and still have that retro new york character. I'm looking for something thats been relatively unchanged architecturally and culturally over the past 20 or so years. I dont want to move to a bastardized part of the city thats lost all of its grit and culture...Thanks and cheers
South brooklyn, certain parts of the south bronx, parts of upper manhattan, nooks and cranies of the east village. Dont get me wrong there is alot of nostalgia with old nyc that many people missed and many outsiders wish they had a chance to experience. I remember old nyc like if it was yesterday, but yesterday is a million miles away.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:03 AM

33 posts, read 48,788 times
So depressing

Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
I don't know,to me most of NYC hasn't much in the last 20 years.The type of changes you seem to be describing,aka "gentrification" has been pretty much confined to lower Manhattan(South of 96th St),pockets of Harlem,parts of Western Brooklyn and Queens and a few blocks of The South Bronx.

I bet if you looked at a map of the whole city ,with these areas colored in, you would see that they account for less than 20% of the geographic area.If you include Staten Island it might actually be less than 10% ! The rest hasn't changed much other than some slight demographic shifts.

Still plenty of neighborhoods left with that old school feel.I live in one of them.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I am on the fence on this one bluedog. I think there has been alot of change over the last 20 years, however the borough that has least changed is the Bronx. If you are looking for the "old school", the Bronx is where it's at, particularly the Southern Bronx where it is still quite gritty, many parts are still industrial...but today it IS changing with high rises, waterfront parks, major mainstream retailers, etc moving in.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
I dont want to move to a bastardized part of the city thats lost all of its grit and culture...
What means this sentence?

I hope you aren't taking your cues about New York City from (horror of horrors) what they say in the media.

There's no such thing as a "bastardized" part of this city. Before you come here, find a good history book; you'll see that every neighborhood in the city has changed from Day One. Change is the only constant around here.

If by "grit and culture" you mean the city when things weren't so great around here, then you're going to be disappointed no matter where you go.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
if the OP is talking about where neighborhood kids playing stick ball and open fire hydrant... i think brooklyn comes the closest and some areas in the bronx

Old 06-28-2012, 05:08 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Quote:
In South Bronx avoid Melrose, that place has lost its character. Simpson Street above Westchester is like somekind of poor quasi-suburban area. Above 161st along Third Avenue it gets more classic vintage old school but new low income housing looking like cardboard boxes with windows are popping up like mushrooms in Lake Champlain state park. Hunts Point south of Bruckner is still untouched by the new housing boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: