U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2012, 11:29 AM

1,254 posts, read 3,427,011 times
Default AIR B+B website is it legit?

Has anyone used the AIR B+B website to book b+bs and rooms to stay in in the NYC area?
or anywhere else? Is it legitimate? or a scam?

Thanks I am a bit nervous about giving my credit card # out to them, unless others have had a positive experience using the site.

Any info would be helpful.

Are there any good websites out there to book B+B's, out there or rooms ? in the tri-state area?

Here is the NYC weblink
New York, NY Vacation Rentals And Rooms For Rent - Airbnb
http://www.airbnb.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM

124 posts, read 97,201 times
Lightbulb Airbnb.com

Hey Dreamworks,

Airbnb can be alright if you choose the right host. I've read plenty of articles on them and planned to use them as a temporary place to live while I'm looking for a permanent spot...Unless it's clean enough and they agree to let me just rent out their spot. It may be more comforting for them to just rent to one trustworthy person for regular income than to constantly worry about the NEXT set of people in their space. Just a thought...

Anyway from what I understand, you should rent with the people who get the best reviews/has the best reputation. But if you back out of your reservations, you'll lose some or all of your money. So google it, research it. See if you're comfortable with the idea, choose your host wisely, and keep your reservation.

But if you're the kind to chicken out at the last minute-fugetaboutit. Cause then you're gonna be complaining about the money you lost, and how they're not right, blah, blah, blah. But they tell you the terms and conditions on the site. Just make sure you read everything.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:14 PM

31,046 posts, read 8,293,784 times
I liked Airbnb, used them on one of my trips to the city a couple years ago. I stayed at a guy's place downtown, had my own room and was able to come and go whenever I wanted. It is definitely a unique experience, but not a good one if you are expecting a hotel experience. With all the years I have worked in the hotel industry, it was refreshing for me to do something that didn't involve staying at a hotel.

The important factor is to pick someplace that you would actually want to be in, as well as having a few emails with the person before trying to book because it is important to figure out if this is a type of person you would want to stay with. There are also chances of renting an entire place as well, which can also be a good way to go.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:12 AM

10,971 posts, read 9,935,567 times
A relative used Air B&B and got a nice double room in a large apartment for $79/night (for 2) at 69th and York.
They were pleased as punch after looking at one $300 hotel room after another.

A friend rents out a room in her London flat reguarly through Air B&B and offers a really good bargain price.

So I will use the site for my next RARE travelling.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM

1,253 posts, read 904,384 times
Wow, this is really great to know! Thanks for posting about it Kefir King.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM

166 posts, read 129,294 times
i have used airbnb a few times now. most have been good experiences but one time was kinda foul.
the 'fresh washed' linens were still wet and smelled like someones hair product, bathroom had not been cleaned in what looked like years, no door to our room and to top it all off we couldnt even get in to the damn place since the host gave us the wrong key, it was not good. Look carefully at the reviews, not just the 'friends' part but actual reviews from actual guests.
The hipsters with lots of social networking time and lots of 'e friends' will have tons of ass kissing reviews from other poseur hipsters.
It can be a very cool way to see new parts of a town/city from the insiders perspective though so we most likely continue to use it.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 PM

1 posts, read 875 times
The 3 creators of Air B & B were on the Charlie Rose show today, Friday, 10/4/13. Seems very legit. Go to his website to check out the interview for more info.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 AM

1,048 posts, read 652,384 times
Illegal in Nyc. Totally ok other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City