Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 AM

13 posts, read 30,666 times

Advertisements

I've received a job offer from a human rights organization that I've always wanted to work for. This is a dream entry level job for me and it will give me the experience needed to progress in the field of international relations.

However the only problem I have with the position is the low salary, I'm from Oklahoma and not used to the high cost of living in NYC and I've heard its ridiculous. Will I be able to survive there wit a $39,000 first year salary? The position is located near the southern tip of Manhattan, would I be able to find a place to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Can you survive in NYC with almost $40,000? Absolutely. However, that depends on what kind of living experience you're going for. Where in NYC do you ideally see yourself living? If it's more than a few stops away from Manhattan or in, your view, sub-par neighborhoods, are you willing to settle for that? Are you willing to live with roommates if it comes down to that? What kind of lifestyle do you expect to live? These are questions to answer for yourself to truly gauge whether you should go for it or not. In short, it's definitely possible if you're willing to sacrifice something. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2012, 05:59 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Can you survive in NYC with almost $40,000? Absolutely. However, that depends on what kind of living experience you're going for. Where in NYC do you ideally see yourself living? If it's more than a few stops away from Manhattan or in, your view, sub-par neighborhoods, are you willing to settle for that? Are you willing to live with roommates if it comes down to that? What kind of lifestyle do you expect to live? These are questions to answer for yourself to truly gauge whether you should go for it or not. In short, it's definitely possible if you're willing to sacrifice something. Good luck!
One can definitely survive in NYC on that salary as already posted. If one is willing to live outside of Manhattan in Queens (or even Brooklyn) one can find a studio apt. without roommates in a good neighborhood with good amenities & good transportation to Manhattan.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:17 AM

71 posts, read 149,398 times
It's pretty easy at that income.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:51 AM

657 posts, read 716,980 times
Yes just live in one of the outside borough like the Bronx. And u can even afford a maid. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
A salary of $39K translates to a take-home of about $30,000 at best. That's $2500 per month.

The rub is finding HOUSING on that kind of money. You can always cut back on food and entertainment but you need a roof.

I recommend looking into Newport Jersey City for a share. Go visit and ask the doormen if you can see the bulletin boards. There are always 3 bedroom apartments looking for a share and your own bedroom. Commute will be almost instantaneous via PATH train.

Figure 900-$1000 with some luck, maybe a LITTLE cheaper with the converted den.

IF you can find housing for $1000/month you can survive, If not, NOT.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 AM

208 posts, read 464,316 times
I survive on less and pay market rent for a studio. You will be fine! Though I would try to go the roommate route since you will be new to the city, that way you can save more money and spend more on enjoying the city since it will be a new experience for you. Also once you live alone you never want to stop and go back to having roommates so don't experience it and you won't miss it!

Old 06-30-2012, 07:58 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
A salary of $39K translates to a take-home of about $30,000 at best. That's $2500 per month.

The rub is finding HOUSING on that kind of money. You can always cut back on food and entertainment but you need a roof.

I recommend looking into Newport Jersey City for a share. Go visit and ask the doormen if you can see the bulletin boards. There are always 3 bedroom apartments looking for a share and your own bedroom. Commute will be almost instantaneous via PATH train.

Figure 900-$1000 with some luck, maybe a LITTLE cheaper with the converted den.

IF you can find housing for $1000/month you can survive, If not, NOT.
The Average rent in Newport and Downtown Jersey City is 1800$ a month , in Journal SQ its 1000 or less a month....and down in Bayonne or Harrison its 1000$ in the older sections.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:29 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
I say find a roommate situation. Most likely you would want about 600-1000 for rent. If you watch how much you eat and with no debt you will be fine. The idea of getting your own 1 bedroom though is pretty impossible. Most decent area's are around 1100 to 1300. If you are in the southern tip of Manhattan you would want Jersey or Brooklyn most likely. If you can stand it, live in a so so area. You might be able to grab a really cheap studio somewhere not as desirable (longer commute, maybe a sketchy area)

Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Housing is the largest cost. I agree with some others who have suggested that you find a roommate situation to start. Perhaps try looking in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. I believe the commute to lower Manhattan is about 40 minutes, and it's a nice neighborhood. You should be able to get a bedroom in a shared apartment for $650-$850 per month, plus utilities.

new york rooms & shares classifieds "bay ridge" - craigslist

Do a search on this forum for the word "budget" to read some threads and think through what some of your other expenses might be. I think it's definitely doable, and the job sounds like a great start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City