Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:20 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,987,505 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to see what number is used the most for numbered streets, avenues, etc. There are many different street numbering systems in various boroughs. The different street numbering systems that I am aware of are:

(in all cases, when I say Nth, N refers to a number, for example 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc)

Manhattan:
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Queens:
Nth Street
Nth Place
Nth Lane
Nth Avenue
Nth Road
Nth Drive
Nth Court
Nth Terrace
Nth Crescent
West Nth Road (Broad Channel)
East Nth Road (Broad Channel)
Beach Nth Street (Rockaways)

Brooklyn:
Nth Street
Nth Avenue
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
South Nth Street
North Nth Street
Bay Nth Street
Brighton Nth Street
Brighton Nth Place
Brighton Nth Path
Brighton Nth Court
Brighton Nth Road
Brighton Nth Terrace
Paerdegat Nth Street
Flatlands Nth Street
Plumb Nth Street
Beach Nth Street (Sea Gate)

Bronx:
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Staten Island:
Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Are there any numbering systems that I missed? Or any numbering systems that I mentioned that don't actually exist?

Again, does anyone know what number is used the most? Obviously, no number is used in every numbering system that I mentioned. But it would be interesting to see which one is used the most. I read somewhere that 3rd is the most used, but I don't know if that is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,092,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Are there any numbering systems that I missed? Or any numbering systems that I mentioned that don't actually exist?
I don't think Staten Island has any nth Avenues. The only area where it has numbered streets is in New Dorp, and I think that only applies to the streets.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I don't think Staten Island has any nth Avenues. The only area where it has numbered streets is in New Dorp, and I think that only applies to the streets.
Google maps shows numbered avenues near the College of Staten Island, and also just south of the Goethals Bridge. Do these not exist in real life?

Old 08-29-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Google maps shows numbered avenues near the College of Staten Island, and also just south of the Goethals Bridge. Do these not exist in real life?
I don't think so. If you're driving along Gulf Avenue (near the Goethals Bridge) and look south, you just see empty fields. As for CSI, there's one main loop road. I don't think there are any street signs on there. I guess it's possible that that's technically the name, but nobody calls them by 1st Avenue, 3rd Avenue, etc.

CSI used to have a mental institution on the grounds, but that's abandoned now. It seems like 2nd - 4th Avenues are on the grounds of that, and 1st Avenue is the technical name for the loop that passes by the Performing Arts Center, but like I said, nobody calls those streets by that name (2nd - 4th Avenue is closed off from the campus, though it looks like there's a back entrance from the residential streets in Willowbrook)

Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what number is used the most for numbered streets, avenues, etc. There are many different street numbering systems in various boroughs. The different street numbering systems that I am aware of are:

(in all cases, when I say Nth, N refers to a number, for example 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc)

Manhattan:
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Queens:
Nth Street
Nth Place
Nth Lane
Nth Avenue
Nth Road
Nth Drive
Nth Court
Nth Terrace
Nth Crescent
West Nth Road (Broad Channel)
East Nth Road (Broad Channel)
Beach Nth Street (Rockaways)

Brooklyn:
Nth Street
Nth Avenue
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
South Nth Street
North Nth Street
Bay Nth Street
Brighton Nth Street
Brighton Nth Place
Brighton Nth Path
Brighton Nth Court
Brighton Nth Road
Brighton Nth Terrace
Paerdegat Nth Street
Flatlands Nth Street
Plumb Nth Street
Beach Nth Street (Sea Gate)

Bronx:
West Nth Street
East Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Staten Island:
Nth Street
Nth Avenue

Again, does anyone know what number is used the most? Obviously, no number is used in every numbering system that I mentioned. But it would be interesting to see which one is used the most. I read somewhere that 3rd is the most used, but I don't know if that is true or not.
I think lower Manhattan also has Nth Place.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's also Park Avenue, Staten Island

Clinton Place, Staten Island vs. Clinton Place, Bronx vs. Clinton Place, Queens

Netherland Avenue, Staten Island vs. Netherland Avenue, Bronx

Old 10-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
There's also Park Avenue, Staten Island

Clinton Place, Staten Island vs. Clinton Avenue, Bronx vs.

Netherland Avenue
And there is also a Park Avenue in Brooklyn. Part of it runs under the BQE. So it seems that 4 out of the 5 boroughs has a Park Avenue (Queens being the only exception).

Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
And there is also a Park Avenue in Brooklyn. Part of it runs under the BQE. So it seems that 4 out of the 5 boroughs has a Park Avenue (Queens being the only exception).
Yeah, you're right. Google Maps actually says there's a Park Avenue, but it just looks like a little alleyway. It's probably not an actual street, though.

In any case, there's College Avenue, Bronx vs. College Avenue, Staten Island

Forest Avenue, Staten Island vs. Forest Avenue, Bronx vs. Forest Avenue, Queens vs. (I don't think it actually exists) Forest Avenue, Brooklyn

Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. Google Maps actually says there's a Park Avenue, but it just looks like a little alleyway. It's probably not an actual street, though.
I don't think Queens has an actual street called Park Ave. It seems there is an office called "Park Avenue Nephrology", but it has a 160th Street address. I'm guessing it just uses the name Park Avenue, but that doesn't mean there is an actual street with that name.

In any case, the Park Avenues in Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island all definitely exist, and none are just alleyways. I've never seen the one in Staten Island, and it does not look like a major street, unlike the others, but I have no reason to doubt its existance.

Are Broadway and Main Street the only names (other than numbers) that are used in all 5 boroughs? Interestingly, the only Main Street that is actually major is the one in Queens, the others are all obscure. I'm assuming the Park Avenue in Queens doesn't really exist.

If you want to be real techncial about it, no numbered street exists in every borough. The only numbered streets in Staten Island have no prefixes, and it has no numbered avenues. Technically, Manhattan has no non-prefixed numbered streets, since they all have the prefix East or West. I guess if you want to include the numbered avenues in the College of Staten Island, then those may exist in all 5 boroughs.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How about Prospect Avenue/Street/Place/Blvd (and even Expressway)? There's one of those not only in all the boroughs, but pretty much every town in America.
I've always wondered why Prospect is such a common street name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City