Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
There is also a West Street in Brooklyn, which was already mentioned.

The one in Brooklyn also enters Queens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Different boroughs? How about two different streets with the same name in the same borough!

Brooklyn has two Manhattan Avenues (Greenpoint & Sea Gate), and two Atlantic Avenues (Bed-Stuy and Sea Gate). There are also two completely different West 9 Streets.

But the all-city champion has to be Broadway--there's one in each borough.
Actually, Queens has 2 Broadways.

For a single borough, the winner has to be Linden Blvd. As I mentioned in another post, there are actually 3 different Linden Boulevards in Queens. One is mostly in Brooklyn, but its eastern end is in Queens. And the 2 other I mentioned are fully in Queens.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 PM

There is a Hillside Avenue in Queens and a Hillside Avenue in Manhattan.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:53 PM

Another interesting topic would be, how many streets cross a borough line without changing names.

Broadway is the only continuous street that crosses between Manhattan and the Bronx. 3rd Avenue doess cross between the 2 boroughs, but it's not continuous, since 3rd Ave in Manhattan is one-way northbound, but the bridge is one-way southbound. Park Avenue also exists in both boroughs, but its bridge only carries the Metro North trains, it does not carry cars or even pedestrians, so it functions as 2 separate streets.

There are suprisingly few streets that keep their name when crossing between Brooklyn and Queens. The major ones I can think of are Atlantic Ave, Myrtle Ave, and Jamaica Ave. Technically, Linden Blvd should count too, since the one in Brooklyn does briefly enter Queens at its eastern end. Conduit Ave / Blvd doesn't really count, since it's Conduit Blvd in Brooklyn, but Conduit Ave in Queens. I'm sure there are others that I am missing. Maybe some side streets in the Ridgewood area?

Another interesting topic would be streets with the same name but different suffixes (Street, Avenue, Boulevard, etc). I always found it interesting that Queens has a Rockaway Blvd, and Brooklyn has a Rockaway Ave and a Rockaway Parkway, but none of them actually go to the Rockaways! How did they get their names? There is also Rockaway Freeway, but that does go to the Rockaways. Staten Island has a Richmond Avenue, Richmond Road, Richmond Terrace, and formerly a Richmond Parkway.

Last edited by mitsguy2001; 10-21-2012 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 12:00 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Actually, Queens has 2 Broadways.

For a single borough, the winner has to be Linden Blvd. As I mentioned in another post, there are actually 3 different Linden Boulevards in Queens. One is mostly in Brooklyn, but its eastern end is in Queens. And the 2 other I mentioned are fully in Queens.
Actually, there's 3. One in Howard Beach, one in Flushing, and one in Elmhurst.

Quote:
There is a Hillside Avenue in Queens and a Hillside Avenue in Manhattan.
There's actually 2 in Queens: One in Douglaston, and the more well-known one in Jamaica.

Plus, there's one on Staten Island (Grymes Hill)

Quote:
Staten Island has a Richmond Avenue, Richmond Road, Richmond Terrace, and formerly a Richmond Parkway.
There's more where that came from. Richmond Hill Road, Richmond Court, Richmond Place and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

Quote:

There are suprisingly few streets that keep their name when crossing between Brooklyn and Queens. The major ones I can think of are Atlantic Ave, Myrtle Ave, and Jamaica Ave.
You could also add Liberty Avenue, Metropolitan Avenue, and Greenpoint Avenue.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, there's 3. One in Howard Beach, one in Flushing, and one in Elmhurst.
Are you talking about Linden Boulevards or Broadways? I assume Broadway. The one in Flushing and the one in Elmhurst are the same, so there are only 2 in Queens.

Quote:
There's more where that came from. Richmond Hill Road, Richmond Court, Richmond Place and probably a few others I can't think of right now.
Also, Port Richmond Ave.

Quote:
You could also add Liberty Avenue, Metropolitan Avenue, and Greenpoint Avenue.
Thanks. Any others, such as some side streets in the Ridgewood area?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:07 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Linden Boulevard is in Lindenwood (a sub-neighborhood of Howard Beach), and a small stub of Linden Boulevard is in Ozone Park off Pitkin Avenue.

Linden Place is in Flushing

Linden Street is in Ridgewood

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Another interesting topic would be streets with the same name but different suffixes (Street, Avenue, Boulevard, etc). I always found it interesting that Queens has a Rockaway Blvd, and Brooklyn has a Rockaway Ave and a Rockaway Parkway, but none of them actually go to the Rockaways! How did they get their names? There is also Rockaway Freeway, but that does go to the Rockaways.
From the Rockaway Indians that inhabited the areas surrounding Jamaica Bay in the 1500s-1600s.

Rockaway Avenue actually runs into Rockaway Parkway which leads directly to Jamaica Bay.

Rockaway Boulevard runs into Rockaway Turnpike (in Nassau County) which leads you to the Rockaway Peninsula.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Linden Boulevard is in Lindenwood (a sub-neighborhood of Howard Beach),
That is the one I already mentioned, which is mostly in Brooklyn.

Quote:
and a small stub of Linden Boulevard is in Ozone Park off Pitkin Avenue.
I assume you are referring to the one off of Cross Bay Blvd. I already mentioned that one.

Quote:
Linden Place is in Flushing

Linden Street is in Ridgewood
Neither of those count, since the thread said that the suffix (Street, Avenue, Boulevard, etc) have to be the same in order to count.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
From the Rockaway Indians that inhabited the areas surrounding Jamaica Bay in the 1500s-1600s.
That makes sense.

Quote:
Rockaway Avenue actually runs into Rockaway Parkway which leads directly to Jamaica Bay.
But not to the Rockaway peninsula.

Quote:
Rockaway Boulevard runs into Rockaway Turnpike (in Nassau County) which leads you to the Rockaway Peninsula.
But very indirectly, via the Nassau Expressway and Seagirt Blvd, the former of which did not even exist Rockaway Blvd was named.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City