Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 6,769 times

Advertisements

Hey guys i've been living in NYC all my life and currently in a situation that had me go seek TA. I currently live with my mother and sister, my mom worked and got laid off and me and my sister are currently in college. We went to HRA and me and my sister were sent to attend the B2W (Back to work program) which is mandatory for those seeking temp assistance. My case is still pending and it is my third day there and I was already offered a position. It is a overnight job doing stock for Duane Reade, and although its not something I want for my career, its ok in the mean time since I am in college and my mother is currently collecting unemployment while looking for a part/full time.

My question is basically this, if I do take this job for duane reade, will this cancel out my TA and SNAP? My case is still currently pending, but if they see that I already have a part time/full time job will they decide that I am not eligible for TA/SNAP anymore? I would think this job were to pay 9-11$ an hour so its not a crazy amount...but im just worried now thinking if I get this it will stop me from getting assistance. Between the Mortage and maintenance alone she pays $1900 a month. Not including utility bills, so basically all together its about possibly 3k a month. Her Unemployment is 405$ a week which is about 1620 a month and if I get part time/full time that pays 10$ an hour..idk. Do you think I would still receive help?

Alsofor those who are experienced with this program, once you get full time/part time employment are you exempt from going to this program? Also if you get full time/ part time employment do you continue getting help until you have sustained the job for a certain amount of time?

Thanks for any help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valen88 View Post
Hey guys i've been living in NYC all my life and currently in a situation that had me go seek TA. I currently live with my mother and sister, my mom worked and got laid off and me and my sister are currently in college. We went to HRA and me and my sister were sent to attend the B2W (Back to work program) which is mandatory for those seeking temp assistance. My case is still pending and it is my third day there and I was already offered a position. It is a overnight job doing stock for Duane Reade, and although its not something I want for my career, its ok in the mean time since I am in college and my mother is currently collecting unemployment while looking for a part/full time.

My question is basically this, if I do take this job for duane reade, will this cancel out my TA and SNAP? My case is still currently pending, but if they see that I already have a part time/full time job will they decide that I am not eligible for TA/SNAP anymore? I would think this job were to pay 9-11$ an hour so its not a crazy amount...but im just worried now thinking if I get this it will stop me from getting assistance.
You really should go to your local HRA office and ask them these questions. The cash part is tricky, because I don't know what you were told by your worker. I know you're not going to be getting much. Isn't it like $91 every two weeks and $245 "living" expenses? If you're going to be working, then you probably won't need or be eligible for the cash of $91 every two weeks, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't you have to wait 45 days to be approved for it? You also have to put in a mandatory 35 to 40 hours a week at the Back to Work center for HRA requirements. If you're working 20 hours a week, then the other 20 hours has to be spent sitting in the Back to Work center supposedly conducting "job search" activities, even though you're only allowed limited time on the computers.

The only positive is that the Back to Work center will give you carfare (weekly pass) to get to the job for three months. Honestly, once you get your first paycheck, you can pay your own way and not go back to the center if you don't want to. You can file a SEPARATE foodstamp application online and report your current or anticipated income. No one knows what you'll get until they calculate your earnings.

Quote:
Between the Mortage and maintenance alone she pays $1900 a month. Not including utility bills, so basically all together its about possibly 3k a month. Her Unemployment is 405$ a week which is about 1620 a month and if I get part time/full time that pays 10$ an hour..idk. Do you think I would still receive help?
I just want to make you aware of something. Any CASH you receive from the city you will be forced to pay back. They don't tell you this. Even if they make you perform workfare for it. Once you get a decent paying job, win the lottery or get a lawsuit, the city will send you an itemized bill of how much you owe them.

If you can avoid getting money from the city, then I suggest you do so. If your mother needs extra help, then she may need to go down to HRA herself for help. If the city subsidizes her in any way, they will put a lien against her home to recoup the money they gave her. It's really not worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Alsofor those who are experienced with this program, once you get full time/part time employment are you exempt from going to this program? Also if you get full time/ part time employment do you continue getting help until you have sustained the job for a certain amount of time?
If you get a full time job, then you no longer need to go. If you get a part-time job, but still want extra money from the city, then you need to be in the back to work center to make up the difference in hours until it comes out to 35 or 40. The center should tell you this though.

Another thing is that your COLLEGE HOURS are considered part of your "back to work" hours too. This is another thing they don't like to tell, but I have a feeling all of this will change under the new administration.

Here's what I can tell you though: Until the new administration changes the old rules, there's a good chance you will get a Failure to Comply aka "FTC" before your 45 days is up for your cash benefits and will have to begin the process all over again. The system is designed for you to fail. If you cannot account for all of your hours or someone at the Back to Work center doesn't list the excuse or the reasons why you missed 30 minutes or whatever, then HRA will give you an automatic FTC and there will be nothing you can do to change it short of trying to get a Fair Hearing to undo it. They only make you do this nonsense if you're trying to receive CASH. This crap doesn't happen with medicaid or SNAP. It takes 30 days or less to be approved for Medicaid and 30 to 45 days to be approved for SNAP. You will not be asked to do any Back to Work nonsense for SNAP until AFTER you have received 3 months of foodstamps, but only if you're not currently working.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
You will basically want to report any change in earnings or financial situation to HRA, as you also don't want them to find out on their own and accuse you of fraud. Beyond that Marilyn mostly had it covered. So if you do get this job tell HRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City