Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

I don't think Jesus would approve of your comments...and Mary either...she would faint if she read these comments...how could you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
No he probably hasn't and this last post confirms to me that he's a total idiot and speaks out of his ***... I live in the neighborhood. I see what's going on. I have explained what areas have experienced gentrification in detail and I explain when I see positive changes in my surrounding area. When I saw gang violence seemed to be going away for awhile I commented on it and said how I hope it continues but now I am seeing something that is disturbing and it has been occuring for the last year and a half and you tell me you disagree with an area you know absolutely squat about...

You know as much about the area as the poor-suckers that move here and get conned into living in the hood through and through... There is one area in the neighborhood that has experienced significant gentrification and a growing number of white (poor hipster type) and that is towards the borderline of East Williamsburg from Flushing ave to about Dekalb ave. Other than that, the changes have been minimal but the crime rate has continued to increase over the last three years... I am not making these numbers up. I am telling you what I see based on facts and personal live observation. I choose to not read subjective articles in the NY times that convince me that Brownsville is the next Williamsburg...

Please, you can pretend to know the city with any other person about any other neighborhood... But when it comes to Bushwick, Ridgewood, East Williamsburg, Woodhaven, East NY/Brownsville... Leave that stuff to me... You clearly have no idea of what you speak...
Where have you read in the Times that tried to say Brownsville was gonna be the next Williamsburg? Or were you just making that up to make an example?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:32 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Where have you read in the Times that tried to say Brownsville was gonna be the next Williamsburg? Or were you just making that up to make an example?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/re...assifieds/Real Estate/Columns/Living In&_r=1

Ocean Hill, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"
Ocean Hill is in the process of gentrification. An increasing number of people of various ethnicities are moving into the area due to slightly lower rent prices. Many abandoned buildings and brownstones have been rehabilitated. Prospect Plaza Houses, once a notorious housing project unit, has been closed by the New York City Housing Authority and is in the process of being rebuilt under the federally-funded HOPE VI program.[2]
The 73rd Police Precinct covers the From the 1960s to early 2000s, Ocean Hill and the neighboring Brownsville experienced a high crime rate, but Currently, the crime rates have reached an all time low.["

Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/re...assifieds/Real Estate/Columns/Living In&_r=1

Ocean Hill, Brooklyn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"
Ocean Hill is in the process of gentrification. An increasing number of people of various ethnicities are moving into the area due to slightly lower rent prices. Many abandoned buildings and brownstones have been rehabilitated. Prospect Plaza Houses, once a notorious housing project unit, has been closed by the New York City Housing Authority and is in the process of being rebuilt under the federally-funded HOPE VI program.[2]
The 73rd Police Precinct covers the From the 1960s to early 2000s, Ocean Hill and the neighboring Brownsville experienced a high crime rate, but Currently, the crime rates have reached an all time low.["
That is too funny, of course crime rates are lower there than it was in 1990 because all of Brooklyn's crime is lower than it was in 1990. The funniest thing about that article is the fact that it was written wrong. Using examples like Habitat for Humanity and such, it would of been a great article talking about the improvements that have been made on a struggling neighborhood and the attempts to create long term home owners for more neighborhood security, but instead the entire thing reads like you should give up your $2400 apartment in the city for a place that is huge, $1100, and only a 20 minute commute to the city...never mind the high crime rate from where you are currently living compared to here or the fact that the area is in its infancy stage (which it mentioned like that is a good thing.)

Yeah, a much better editor would of thrown away that article and told them to try again...unless it was a slow news cycle when that got into the paper.

Just so you know, I seriously wasn't trying to pick an argument or anything, I had just never heard anyone say that before. The dumb crap that is put in news media sometimes blows my mind, regardless of the political background of the paper or tv channel.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:43 AM

105 posts, read 322,548 times
I live off of the Wilson Stop of the L train on the "Dark Side" of Bushwick as it's been called. I've been here for two years and the changes in demographics, development and attitude since we've arrived have been dramatic to say the least. The dumbass criminals and squatters are being pushed out as abandoned buildings are being sold and renovated. What's left are the long term resident families, business owners, old folks, and yes - new hipsters and young professionals ( a lot of them). To say that Bushwick is not changing and improving is just utterly foolish. Only someone with an agenda would make that argument. Crime has gone up - at the beginning of the year, crime was up 20% or so over last year as a result of the warm winter. Since then the rate has dropped to 12% increase over last year. North Brooklyn crime overall is up 9%, and city-wide, it's up 4%. So, yes, crime is rising overall, as a result of a lot of factors, including the warmer weather, etc.; and still Bushwick is changing and improving. Things to watch for: The Bushwick Open studios grows every year, bringing a ton of press and new activity. East Williamsburg is absolutely popping with new businesses, The Well, A new boutique hotel, Roberta's new tasting restaurant, etc. It has recently been announced that East Williamsburg will NOT be rezoned for residential, limiting the number of residential lofts that can be built around the Morgan stop. That is having the effect of pushing development further into Bushwick. The Jefferson stop on the L is about to explode with a bunch of new restaurants. There are new lofts popping up all along the L including a new factory conversion two blocks up from me on Decatur between the Halsey stop and The Wilson stop. Of course it's changing. Is that always a good thing? That's another conversation, but yes, Bushwick is most definitely developing

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Bushwick is a big neighborhood; trying to categorize it all at once isn't going to be much of an analysis at all. Will it get better? Only if demand and spillover continue. The fact that there's little new development is of note: developers are still edgy and don't have the same sentiment as they seemed to have with Williamsburg.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
I live off of the Wilson Stop of the L train on the "Dark Side" of Bushwick as it's been called. I've been here for two years and the changes in demographics, development and attitude since we've arrived have been dramatic to say the least. The dumbass criminals and squatters are being pushed out as abandoned buildings are being sold and renovated. What's left are the long term resident families, business owners, old folks, and yes - new hipsters and young professionals ( a lot of them). To say that Bushwick is not changing and improving is just utterly foolish. Only someone with an agenda would make that argument. Crime has gone up - at the beginning of the year, crime was up 20% or so over last year as a result of the warm winter. Since then the rate has dropped to 12% increase over last year. North Brooklyn crime overall is up 9%, and city-wide, it's up 4%. So, yes, crime is rising overall, as a result of a lot of factors, including the warmer weather, etc.; and still Bushwick is changing and improving. Things to watch for: The Bushwick Open studios grows every year, bringing a ton of press and new activity. East Williamsburg is absolutely popping with new businesses, The Well, A new boutique hotel, Roberta's new tasting restaurant, etc. It has recently been announced that East Williamsburg will NOT be rezoned for residential, limiting the number of residential lofts that can be built around the Morgan stop. That is having the effect of pushing development further into Bushwick. The Jefferson stop on the L is about to explode with a bunch of new restaurants. There are new lofts popping up all along the L including a new factory conversion two blocks up from me on Decatur between the Halsey stop and The Wilson stop. Of course it's changing. Is that always a good thing? That's another conversation, but yes, Bushwick is most definitely developing
If you were to actually read my comments you would understand that I don't make blanket statements unlike you do... Unlike you I point out the good with the bad but unfortunately for right now, i'm seeing more bad then good... For the record Roberta's has been here for years... The Jefferson scene has been happening since 06' and other than cypress through irving has seen minimal changes... (I know, I live closer to that area even in Ridgewood than you do...)

And on your side of town, other than the lofts on eldert lane and that one new building that I believe is on central avenue the demographics have pretty much remained the same... I will agree with you that I have seen more hipsters around there lately and what shocked me as well was seeing a couple come in on the Bushwick aberdeen stop right before broadway junction... That being said, you're making it seem as if a couple of white people moving into the hood are going to automatically change the other 95% of people that live there... The only thing that bringing diversity to that part of town has done is increase the robberies and grand larcenies in the area because it really seems as if no matter how much the hipsters are cautioned they always seem to throw it to the wind and blindly use their gadgets wherever they go at whatever time...

Like you've already seen from my posts... When I see positive changes, I talk about it. But I will not be one-sided on an issue if I see things taking a turn for the worse simply because bad publicity will hurt the neighborhood... These things need to be said and it's only when people decide to stop disregarding what is going on around them and actually speak about it that changes will happen...

Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:

Like you've already seen from my posts... When I see positive changes, I talk about it. But I will not be one-sided on an issue if I see things taking a turn for the worse simply because bad publicity will hurt the neighborhood... These things need to be said and it's only when people decide to stop disregarding what is going on around them and actually speak about it that changes will happen...
I completely agree and you cannot imagine the opposition this stirs up related to Harlem. The reasons are:

The real-estate interested, who want to keep the truth secret lest they lose $$$$$. Many people grew quite angry, felt duped and misled, once they actually experienced living in Harlem. But nobody was returning any deposits or brokers' fees after the fact.

Locals, some of whom are über-defensive to put it mildly.

The newly-arrived, perhaps the most militant bunch. My significant other refers to the oft-observable syndrome there as "lovin' the black man." Living in the 'hood makes them feel like good people, and they need the ghetto folk to support this. Who cares about an improved quality-of-life for them. Lots of talk about politically-correct books, little actual reaching out beyond the hand-holding demonstrations, "multi-cultural." Someone actually related this to rebelling against their white, suburban parents - an interesting idea.

Cynical, I know. It's just that I have seen it all at this point and nothing really amazes me. Which is not to say that there are not disappointments.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:33 PM

105 posts, read 322,548 times
The OP asked if prices in Bushwick are going to go up over time. The answer is undeniably yes. The evidence for that is overwhelming despite the fact that not every dumbass criminal has yet to be chased out of Bushwick by middle class expansion. This is not defensiveness nor a blanket statement, it is the opinion of the vast majority of the real estate press. (cue the enumerable posts about lying real estate developers).

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articles/a-new-soho/

Metro - Bushwick real estate eyes a burgeoning future

Williamsburg: The NY Times Was ON IT Back In 1998: Gothamist

My experience living off of the Wilson stop is aligned with these predictions.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
most likely, if the rich white male
landowners feel like taking it back
and renting or selling it to upper
middle class people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City