Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,034 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone first let me say how grateful i am to be to be a conductor for SIRTOA . I start the class on Aug 1 and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me how that experience will be? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shar421 View Post
Hello everyone first let me say how grateful i am to be to be a conductor for SIRTOA . I start the class on Aug 1 and i wanted to know if anyone can tell me how that experience will be? Thanks!!
I'm guessing that stands for "Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority" correct?
Maybe the transit guys on here can help, Fred315x is a huge contributor, so he might know. I say this because I think the SIRTOA operates under the MTA umbrella.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,305,963 times
congratulations! Good luck to you with your new gig.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makossa View Post
I'm guessing that stands for "Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority" correct?
Maybe the transit guys on here can help, Fred315x is a huge contributor, so he might know. I say this because I think the SIRTOA operates under the MTA umbrella.
Yup, the SIR is a part of the MTA.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

I have a friend who did the Staten Island gig. He didn't like it a lot and was THRILLED when he was callled for a motorman job with PATH.
(Of course, since he lived in Jersey City, PATH was a LOT more convenient.)

I would imagine that the assignment is a LOT better if you live on Staten Island.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:37 AM

255 posts, read 475,641 times
Well, I can say that if you are a conductor on an express train, you will be knocked around as those trains regularly hit 60+mph

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

Hey everyone thanks for the congrats. I was wondering how long is the training? Would it be weekdays and weekends? After the training how will the schedule be? Kefir is it possible you could tell me why your didnt like working there? I am just twenty minutes if i take the verrazano bridge...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:44 PM

To makossa sirtoa stands for staten island railroad transit authority

Old 07-29-2012, 09:26 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The line is boring , very little interesting scenery , nothing seems to change hench why he probably hated it...

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Hey everyone thanks for the congrats. I was wondering how long is the training? Would it be weekdays and weekends? After the training how will the schedule be? Kefir is it possible you could tell me why your didnt like working there? I am just twenty minutes if i take the verrazano bridge...
First off, Makossa, thank you for the "promotion." But it's still 314X, not 315.

Shar, I was a conductor with New York City Transit for five and a half years. I suspect the training over there in Staten Island is similar. If so, you'll do your training on weekdays and have weekends off. But once you start working, I don't think you should count on weekends. That will probably come with seniority.

I'm not sure how many trips (= round trips) trains in Staten Island make in a shift, but it's probably either two or three. After one of them, you'll have your 'lunch' break.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: