Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times

Advertisements

Back up to Mauricio's/Pioneer/Foodtown.. I went on the M15, 5 minutes.

Well they changed their name again: now they are METropolitan. I asked when the name was chnaged and nobody would answer... they all payed the "no spikka da English" game.

At the checkout with some toothpulling I got the answer: name was changed 5 days ago. I asked if they are associatedd with the MET SUPERMARKET chain. Custome piped in and said "YES, that's what MET stand for...Metropolitan."
Turns out he was misinformed, the logo is entirely different and they are Metropolitan Citymarket. Go figger. The chekout receipt still said FOODTOWN????

Anyhoo I bought the gallon of milk for $2.99 and nice Hormel deli ham for $3.99 a pound but it seems all the other prices have gone up pretty severely. So Sunday at noon, 3 customers in this HUGE clean pretty store. One checkout clerk with time enough on her hands for a mani-pedi and everything else cure. I think they are not long for this world.
Probably the FineFare 3 blocks away was mobbed.

So I guess my next foray North will be up Third Ave to Fine Fare at 110th.

But the handwriting on the wall for me probably spells PATHMARK at 125th and Lex. Subway though is a minus with lots of shopping bags, or worse, a cart. And the bus to and from 125h and Lex is a drag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Back up to Mauricio's/Pioneer/Foodtown.. I went on the M15, 5 minutes.

Well they changed their name again: now they are METropolitan. I asked when the name was chnaged and nobody would answer... they all payed the "no spikka da English" game.

At the checkout with some toothpulling I got the answer: name was changed 5 days ago. I asked if they are associatedd with the MET SUPERMARKET chain. Custome piped in and said "YES, that's what MET stand for...Metropolitan."
Turns out he was misinformed, the logo is entirely different and they are Metropolitan Citymarket. Go figger. The chekout receipt still said FOODTOWN????

Anyhoo I bought the gallon of milk for $2.99 and nice Hormel deli ham for $3.99 a pound but it seems all the other prices have gone up pretty severely. So Sunday at noon, 3 customers in this HUGE clean pretty store. One checkout clerk with time enough on her hands for a mani-pedi and everything else cure. I think they are not long for this world.
Probably the FineFare 3 blocks away was mobbed.

So I guess my next foray North will be up Third Ave to Fine Fare at 110th.

But the handwriting on the wall for me probably spells PATHMARK at 125th and Lex. Subway though is a minus with lots of shopping bags, or worse, a cart. And the bus to and from 125h and Lex is a drag.
Where do you live?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-23-2012, 05:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,388 times
Kifir King is one of those few UES residents who goes to East Harlem regularly. Most others rarely cross the E 96th street.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
mauricio also owns the supermarket on 106th between second, and third ave. the foodtown on first, recently got a renovation. that particular supermarket, along with the one on 106 used to be horrible. c-town status. the best supermarket in east harlem is the associated on between 101st and 102nd on second avenue. take a trip to the deli dept, and order a sandwich, and see why, while you're there.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Where do you live?
bill got it right: UES, Third Ave...in the foothills of Carnegie Hill, but only the foothills.

But I look at my local markets like FAIRWAY (at 86th,) FOOD EMPORIUM, GRISTEDE'S, DAGASTINO'S and even PIONEER and gasp from disbelief at the prices.
The only store that is even close to reasonable in the KEY FOOD at 92nd and Second and only for sale items.
The only upside to these high food prices, if there can be said to BE one, is that they make eating OUT sound seem more reasonable.

There is a fish market at 93rd and Lex that is so unbelievable that their prices would only be reasonable if they moved the decimal point one place to the left.

For fairly priced fresh fish the only game for me is PATHMARK at 125th or Chinatown which I find intimidating becasue I don't know how to deal wwith whole fish...except trout, which nobody ever has anymore.

Anyone who has never been to the store should take a ride to the PATHMARK...it's like shopping a huge supermarket in Peoria or Sacramento...very UN-New York City.

I also make forays a little bit North for two other places:
the ASSOCIATED at 101st and Second and
DEALS at 101sy and First.

(I am retired so I can do a lot of this diddling...I know that for those of you still working time is too valuable to waste finding bargains.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-25-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: