Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times

Advertisements

I was comparing them to Canarsie meaning if Canarsie is Ghetto than Bayridge and Marine Park and even Sheaps Head Bay is Ghetto because they have the same cleaniness and characteristics. Certain area of Bay ridge is Ghetto but they dont talk about it because it is a non black and non hispanic neighborhood same as Marine Park and Sheeps Head Bay. There is a project in the Sheaps head Bay area and you would not be caught there anytime of the day and yet no one calls it Ghetto, I've been there looked at houses in that area so I know. Again anything area that has blacks and hispanics even if everything is the same is considered Ghetto so those areas are pretty much the same yet Canarsie is considered Ghetto and they are not.

Certain parts of Marine Park have hoods, Italian boys standing on street corners smoking and chasing people yes I've witnessed it, I've seen it in Bay Ridge but no one ever mentions these things and I guarentee as it is right now let it be hispanics and blacks you'll hear all kinds of stuff about how unsafe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
I was comparing them to Canarsie meaning if Canarsie is Ghetto than Bayridge and Marine Park and even Sheaps Head Bay is Ghetto because they have the same cleaniness and characteristics. Certain area of Bay ridge is Ghetto but they dont talk about it because it is a non black and non hispanic neighborhood same as Marine Park and Sheeps Head Bay. There is a project in the Sheaps head Bay area and you would not be caught there anytime of the day and yet no one calls it Ghetto, I've been there looked at houses in that area so I know. Again anything area that has blacks and hispanics even if everything is the same is considered Ghetto so those areas are pretty much the same yet Canarsie is considered Ghetto and they are not.

Certain parts of Marine Park have hoods, Italian boys standing on street corners smoking and chasing people yes I've witnessed it, I've seen it in Bay Ridge but no one ever mentions these things and I guarentee as it is right now let it be hispanics and blacks you'll hear all kinds of stuff about how unsafe it is.
Who's calling Canarsie ghetto? As far as I know, it's a middle class mostly-black neighborhood with a lot of families. The real ghetto - East New York - isn't far away, though.

I agree that many people in NY associate "ghetto" with "black and Hispanic." There are several neighborhoods that don't fit the mould, though: plenty of majority-Hispanic non-ghetto neighborhoods in northern Queens and plenty of majority-black non-ghetto neighborhoods in SE Queens and to a lesser extent, Brooklyn.

Last edited by Marlin331; 01-15-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Because thats the facts, thats what it is. And I'm latino and I have no problem admitting to it. Name 2 all white projects in NY that is so dangerous no one would dare step a foot in cause theres drug dealing, gang activity, shottings, muggings and rapes?

I'll be waiting for your answer but I won't hold my breathe. lol
you wont find this in nyc....but i implore you to google "southie" and read about the history of south boston.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-16-2010, 04:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
you wont find this in nyc....but i implore you to google "southie" and read about the history of south boston.
Exactly,Seventh.Southie is one of the neighborhoods that I was referring to in one of my previous posts.When I was growing up in Boston the projects in Southie were 100% white(almost all Irish) and every bit as problematical as anything Brownsville,East New York or The South Bronx today.And there were plenty of other neighborhoods in the city with wild projects...in Charlestown,Dorchester and East Boston.All of them almost all white and pretty grim.The one's in East Boston were mostly Italian.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 PM

3 posts, read 12,298 times
Hey there. I grew up and was born and raised in Brooklyn. I then moved to the Bronx. Let me tell you that there are a lotta "punks" in Brooklyn always wanting to start a fight. Then, I moved to Bay Ridge. I LOVED that place. Here's 2 examples: I am a single mother working long hours and I had parked my car about 2 blocks from my house (long blocks, ya know Colonial Road to 3rd Avenue type of blocks). Anyways, it was snowing and my son was about 2 years old. I was trying to push him in the snow in his stroller but of course that wasn't working 'cause the snow was too deep. A woman stopped her car in the middle of the street and came out and asked if I needed help. There were no other cars behind her, but c'mon. This woman took the time to help me. She obviously saw me. Another scenario was I was parked in the snow that had turned to ice and I could not get my car outta my parking spot. These 2 men come outta the bar and actually HELPED me get my car out. I never asked for help from any of these people. I had a co-worker from Bay Ridge who is a SWEETHEART. Bay Ridge ghetto. NO WAY! Bensonhurst, Gravesend, the kids all wanna start fights if you "don't fit in".

Now the Bronx: Lots of "homeboys" and gangs. But you know what? I don't get any of that "punk" attitude here. People are more willing to help you out. Sure there are "rough" neighborhoods here in the Bronx. Soundview is one of the worst. I had an incident in Soundview where me and a kid like 10 years old bumped into each other. I had my 2 kids with me and he had his teenager homies with him. The little kid started YELLING at me like "why did you bump into me you b*tch". I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around and was gonna confront this little "hood in the makin'". This beautiful woman who does not even know me took me by the shoulders and turned me around and said "walk away, it's not worth it. Just go and raise your kids".

So my point of this long post is that it doesn't matter if where you live is gun shooting or drug dealing or middle class or poor. It's the people. Of course there are some neighborhoods that are better than others and I didn't mean to hijack this post.

Bay Ridge- not ghetto, working people
Marine Park - not ghetto, working people
Bensonhurst - not ghetto but a lot of punks with attitudes and comparing with "I have more stuff than you do"

Morrisania - Lots of gangs but people respect you and you can be poor and people don't judge you as much
Hunts Point - more working class people and they judge you a little more than Morrisania
Throgs Neck - a little ghetto, but people are always in your business and think they are better than you "I have a better car, house, tv, etc.)

Old 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I always get a kick out of people in the Fredericksburg, VA area talking about their hoods. I feel that I can get a beach chair and sleep in the middle of any neighborhood here. Anyway I don't know much about westchester and I wanted to know more about it. Is there any hoods or ghettos in Westchester County that would compare to a hood or ghetto in the Bronx. If so why? Which city and section? Please give a neighborhood and don't say south Bronx as that has been proven to be a broad pointless term. I only want comparisons to the bronx and the "hoods or "ghettos" or tough areas or whatever phrase does not offend anyone please. Please don't turn this into a conversation about what a hood or ghetto is.
Southern hoods aren't that big, and don't look that bad. At one time the entire East side of Cleveland was one huge hood, but it has improved at one point. That is probably why you feel safe in a Fredericksburg hood.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 9,025 times
ogplife, I know you were curious but of course you cannot ignore the meaning of a hood regarding the context of this conversation. You want a comparison to the Bronx but you have never been here? Then where are you getting your idea of "hood" from?...movies? Like StPete said...there are ghettos in every large city. There are also very nice areas as well. Westchester has some of the richest people in the country and some of the highest property taxes as well but yes, there are still areas that people would consider unsafe and sketchy. Then again, parts of the Bronx, like Country Club and Pelham Gardens, have houses for over a million dollars too with sketchy areas as well. To all - we (as a society) should try not to stereotype certain races/ethnicities with regards to a ghetto. I know of many poor white people in housing projects and trailers all over the US. A person's socioeconomic status does not always correspond to a particular "type" of person we are used to visualizing.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:13 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
lol at Bay Ridge and Marine Park being ghettos.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:12 AM

141 posts, read 353,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRaZy View Post
Like hustla718 said Mt. Vernon is basicly ghetto, all of it. The area around Sue's Rendevouz, S. Bond st. to Wakefield 241st. subway stop.And next to it Yonkers. And then some parts in White Plains. Can't name you any street names though.
I grew up in Mt. Vernon and lived there until 3 years ago. The north side is not ghetto at all. It has a lot of middle class homes owned by both blacks and whites, and the extreme north end borders Bronxville. The area by Sue's isn't nice to look at but it's safe. S. Bond is alright. The only real ghetto areas start when you get over E. 1st St. The area of Yonkers that borders Mt. Vernon is also fine.

White Plains has projects on Ferris Ave. and I think 1 on DeKalb, but DeKalb is a nice street otherwise.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,812,434 times
Good grief, could you people let this thread die already. It is from 2007!!!

Plus the only post of real interest is the one by "wakeuppeople", which gives a life perspective of someone trying to get by with not very much. Interesting how she 'views' and perceives herself to be 'viewed'. Her perception of 'ghetto' filtered through her personal struggle through life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City