U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2007, 12:30 AM
 
943 posts, read 3,810,273 times
Reputation: 425

Advertisements

I always get a kick out of people in the Fredericksburg, VA area talking about their hoods. I feel that I can get a beach chair and sleep in the middle of any neighborhood here. Anyway I don't know much about westchester and I wanted to know more about it. Is there any hoods or ghettos in Westchester County that would compare to a hood or ghetto in the Bronx. If so why? Which city and section? Please give a neighborhood and don't say south Bronx as that has been proven to be a broad pointless term. I only want comparisons to the bronx and the "hoods or "ghettos" or tough areas or whatever phrase does not offend anyone please. Please don't turn this into a conversation about what a hood or ghetto is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2007, 12:35 AM
 
1,529 posts, read 2,094,042 times
Reputation: -80
The hoods in southern Mount Vernon along the Bronx-Westchester border are basically an extention of the hoods in the Northeast Bronx. It's especially bad around the housing projects up there (built right off the Bronx border, imagine that).

Why? A lot of poor Blacks. Also the Bronx side is crap. Same problems. Basically the "problems" don't stop at the border. Even on the Westchester side there are needle exchanges, a lot of run down properties, section 8, homeless shelters, ect...

The northeast Bronx is made up of basically high crime pockets (Not swaths like the neighborhoods west of the Bronx River, south of Bedford Park Blvd or east of the Bronx River south and west of the Parkchester complex. Although there are neighborhoods in the northeast Bronx like what you find in the South Bronx I will name later in this post). However these pockets are frequent and large enough to effect the overall neighborhood (and it's getting worse). The worst area in the northeast Bronx being the west halfs of Wakefield/Williambridge/Ollinville where the entire stretch of White Plains Road and it's cross streets (at least 2-4 long blocks out on either side) are a drug infested mess, non stop ghetto like neighborhoods in more southern and western areas of the borough. Southern Mount Vernon mimics the pocket anology although it's own "west halfs of Wakefield/Williamsbridge/Ollinville" would be the area immidiately around the PJ's near the BX border.). Also what I mean by pockets is, you might have an okay 2x2 or 3x3 blocks (sometimes even a 4x4/5x5 area although much more rare now), but the next 2x2 or 3x3 blocks could be crime infested (much more common and getting worse.). So either way even the decent blocks are effected.

Another hot area is Southwest Yonkers around that city's PJ's. Same problems only more Hispanic.

Why, a lot of same posted above.

Besides that nothing really to be concerned about in Westchester. Oh also avoid living close to PJ's in other cities of Westchester like parts of New Roc City. The Hartley PJ's for example. There are some rough areas in New Roc as well. Less then Mount Vernon and Yonkers though.

PJ's in Yonkers, NY:


Ghetto blocks in Southwest Yonkers around the PJ's:

Mod cut: copyright violations

So in the end, if you are moving to Mount Vernon, you will want to avoid the South Side, especially the areas closest to the Bronx. You also might want to avoid Mount Vernon Heights and Parkside. I don't know those areas but they are adjacent to the South Side but I do know the South Side is the worst area. All located south of the downtown business district.

In Yonkers you want to avoid the Southwest Side. Especially the areas near the city's low income public housing projects.

In New Rochelle you will want to avoid the areas immidiately around the city's low income housing projects.

Here are some aerial shots:

Mount Vernon, NY ghetto:

Live Local Search

Yonkers, NY ghetto:

Live Local Search

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-15-2010 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 AM
 
11,224 posts, read 21,660,986 times
Reputation: 8821
Hustla- do you have a flickr account or anyplace where I could see more of your photos? I find it so interesting to see areas of nyc that I have never been - and probably never will be!

Do you take them with a regular camera or with a camera phone?

If you don't have a flickr account, how do you organize them for yourself?

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 04:45 PM
 
1,529 posts, read 2,094,042 times
Reputation: -80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hustla- do you have a flickr account or anyplace where I could see more of your photos? I find it so interesting to see areas of nyc that I have never been - and probably never will be!

Do you take them with a regular camera or with a camera phone?

If you don't have a flickr account, how do you organize them for yourself?

thanks.
Not my photos, I just did a search on google. I was thinking about setting up my own account though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:37 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,185,483 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I always get a kick out of people in the Fredericksburg, VA area talking about their hoods. I feel that I can get a beach chair and sleep in the middle of any neighborhood here. Anyway I don't know much about westchester and I wanted to know more about it. Is there any hoods or ghettos in Westchester County that would compare to a hood or ghetto in the Bronx. If so why? Which city and section? Please give a neighborhood and don't say south Bronx as that has been proven to be a broad pointless term. I only want comparisons to the bronx and the "hoods or "ghettos" or tough areas or whatever phrase does not offend anyone please. Please don't turn this into a conversation about what a hood or ghetto is.
There are hoods an ghettos in almost every city with 100,000 or more people.
They of course vary in size and intensity of poverty and crime.
However, claiming any hood is so harder than all the others is just ignorant and truly a ghetto state of mind.
Why?
Cause for every South Bronx there is a East Detroit, and for every East Detroit there is a West Compton and so on an so forth.
Not only that but any of the hardest worst areas in the US are really just soft if you wanna take the discussion global.
I don't care how bad Hunts Point is it simply won't stack up to a ghetto in Kingston Jamaica etc...
There, theres 5 murders a day, most go unreported and 1 of them is by the crooked cops.

So on an so forth.... For Kingston there is Haitis Cap-Hatian... It never ends.

The worst neighborhood in America will catch 60 bodies a year.
The worst neighborhood in Rio De Janero catches that in a week, just do some research.

I grew out of claiming my hood as hard many many years ago. Now I mainly focus on the social issues and hardships the people face and how they can be improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 09:49 PM
 
Location: Queens
842 posts, read 3,985,235 times
Reputation: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPete2Charlotte View Post
There are hoods an ghettos in almost every city with 100,000 or more people.
They of course vary in size and intensity of poverty and crime.
However, claiming any hood is so harder than all the others is just ignorant and truly a ghetto state of mind.
Why?
Cause for every South Bronx there is a East Detroit, and for every East Detroit there is a West Compton and so on an so forth.
Not only that but any of the hardest worst areas in the US are really just soft if you wanna take the discussion global.
I don't care how bad Hunts Point is it simply won't stack up to a ghetto in Kingston Jamaica etc...
There, theres 5 murders a day, most go unreported and 1 of them is by the crooked cops.

So on an so forth.... For Kingston there is Haitis Cap-Hatian... It never ends.

The worst neighborhood in America will catch 60 bodies a year.
The worst neighborhood in Rio De Janero catches that in a week, just do some research.

I grew out of claiming my hood as hard many many years ago. Now I mainly focus on the social issues and hardships the people face and how they can be improved.
Cool post. For every Rio de Janero there is North Korea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
 
201 posts, read 1,185,483 times
Reputation: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Cool post. For every Rio de Janero there is North Korea
Truth...

Actually Rio is so bad certain areas of the city are certified War Zones and police only enter the Favelas with Tanks and M-16's.
Seriously, more people get killed there than in alot of actual Warzones in Iraq.
Its sad, and alot of people really don't care.
I guess they feel unless its an American dying, the life is worthless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 PM
 
943 posts, read 3,810,273 times
Reputation: 425
I am not from the Bronx. I was not claiming anything. I know there are tough hoods in every city. I have never been to Westchester and I wanted to know since they are so close. I know there are nice areas in every city, but a hood in one place is really not the same everywhere. It wouldn't not have changed my life if nobody responded to this thread. I was just curious. I specifically said don't turn this into a conversation about ghettos or hods becuase I wasn't even taking it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
 
Location: From-Secor Houses-(edenwald section)-bronx,ny
139 posts, read 832,579 times
Reputation: 52
quite a few hoods in westchester county..parts of new rochelle,parts of yonkers,parts of mt vernon around the bronx,west.co border line..mexican gangs & black crips out there tryna treat that like los angeles in some of them westchester county upscale neighborhoods
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Harlem, NY
308 posts, read 2,376,500 times
Reputation: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I always get a kick out of people in the Fredericksburg, VA area talking about their hoods. I feel that I can get a beach chair and sleep in the middle of any neighborhood here. Anyway I don't know much about westchester and I wanted to know more about it. Is there any hoods or ghettos in Westchester County that would compare to a hood or ghetto in the Bronx. If so why? Which city and section? Please give a neighborhood and don't say south Bronx as that has been proven to be a broad pointless term. I only want comparisons to the bronx and the "hoods or "ghettos" or tough areas or whatever phrase does not offend anyone please. Please don't turn this into a conversation about what a hood or ghetto is.

Like hustla718 said Mt. Vernon is basicly ghetto, all of it. The area around Sue's Rendevouz, S. Bond st. to Wakefield 241st. subway stop.And next to it Yonkers. And then some parts in White Plains. Can't name you any street names though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top