Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:08 AM

34 posts, read 90,236 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to purchase a sectional sofa for my new place and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for discount furniture places in NYC, maybe even Jersey that's driveable?

I've found places likes Bob's and Raymore and Flannigan (not really discount), but am looking for the more "warehouse" looking places that just have tons of pieces in a large space.

Thanks for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
There is IKEA in Red Hook in Brooklyn.
Although not a discount store, there is a large Macy's furniture store on Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst, Queens. I think across the street from this store are also a few smaller furniture stores.
Also there are many small furniture stores on Broadway in Astoria in Queens.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There is IKEA in Red Hook in Brooklyn.
Although not a discount store, there is a large Macy's furniture store on Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst, Queens.

Skip the Macy's and check out all the furniture stores across the Macy's furniture store. Macy's Furniture is far from discount but a lot of the stores on the other side of Queens Blvd have factory direct prices. They buy directly from Ashley and other companies but you have to order from a catalog. Their overhead is cheaper that way. Small store and no inventory. I bought my daughter's mattress set a few years ago from one of those stores. Mattress and box spring was only $200.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMJury View Post
So I'm looking to purchase a sectional sofa for my new place and was wondering if anyone has suggestions for discount furniture places in NYC, maybe even Jersey that's driveable?

I've found places likes Bob's and Raymore and Flannigan (not really discount), but am looking for the more "warehouse" looking places that just have tons of pieces in a large space.

Thanks for the help
I don't know any warehouses but Bob's is a good choice if you want nice looking furniture without going broke. There's also a ton of furniture places out in Farmingdale on Rt 110 that have the lower prices because they buy directly from the factory or manufacturer.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I forgot to exclude Ikea from my search as there prices are not quite in line with the quality, but the places across from Macy's sound pretty good, the only problem being that I need to physically sit on something before committing to a purchase...

Old 07-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I forgot to exclude Ikea from my search as there prices are not quite in line with the quality, but the places across from Macy's sound pretty good, the only problem being that I need to physically sit on something before committing to a purchase...

Yes, I'm the same way lol. They may have a few samples though. I agree about Ikea. You can get something bulkier from Bob's for the same money. I don't know what your price range is but sometimes Jennifer Convertibles has good deals. I bought my last sofa from them and got a really good price plus the end tables, coffee table and a bunch of accessories. You don't have to get it as a sofa bed so that saves you a few hundred dollars .

Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Except for Macy's, Raymour and Flanagan, and Ethan Allen the pickin's are slim, and Ethan Allen is $$$picey.

Ikea is cheap junk that LOOKS it and Bob's furniture looks suitable for a Louisiana whorehouse....gaudy junk.

Jennifer is really dull stuff but some is tolerable.

It's not a pleasant process DMJury but if pressed I'd say go with R&F and buy a sale item advertised in their flier. Haggle with them on delivery charge, it works.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM

Awesome! I actually went to Bob's in Dobbs Ferry (where I work) yesterday and found something in the "Pit" for almost half price, but now have to figure out delivery as they don't offer a service for these items.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Except for Macy's, Raymour and Flanagan, and Ethan Allen the pickin's are slim, and Ethan Allen is $$$picey.

Ikea is cheap junk that LOOKS it and Bob's furniture looks suitable for a Louisiana whorehouse....gaudy junk.

Jennifer is really dull stuff but some is tolerable.

It's not a pleasant process DMJury but if pressed I'd say go with R&F and buy a sale item advertised in their flier. Haggle with them on delivery charge, it works.
I can't stop laughing at "Louisiana whorehouse"...not all their furniture looks that way lol.

Jennifer is hit or miss, that's for sure. I prefer their leather sofas, as they're more modern and sleek. I just got my new dining room from R&F. I jumped all over it. I applied for their CC and I have 0% interest until 2016. The approval process is instant. They do it right there in the store.

OP, if it's in your budget and you're approved for their CC, that's another option but I find that their livingrooms are a bit bulky for my taste.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Awesome! I actually went to Bob's in Dobbs Ferry (where I work) yesterday and found something in the "Pit" for almost half price, but now have to figure out delivery as they don't offer a service for these items.
Can you rent a U-Haul for a few hours or half a day? They have all sizes so depending on how big the furniture is, you can save some $$ and not have to rent a big one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: