Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCastaway View Post
Bronxville
not when i was growing up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
People seem to assume rich suburb is WASP.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 19,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
not when i was growing up
What did it mainly consist of then? I'd always heard of Bronxville being a very WASPy "Episcopal" village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
People seem to assume rich suburb is WASP.
There's definitely a big difference. So far the Gold Coast of Fairfield County, CT is taking the cake with debate over certain areas of Westchester and Nassau. New Jersey is almost out of the running completely.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:03 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
There are WASP enclaves. See my original reply. You need to find cities that were always affluent, but tended to still hold heavy religious segregation.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM

733 posts, read 939,337 times
Locust Valley? I know Sands Point is what East Egg from Great Gatsby was focused on, but I don't know if WASPiness still rings true today. Are Greenwich and New Canaan considered suburbs of NYC? They're rich I don't know if they're WASPy.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Rye, Garden City, Manhasset, and Bronxville.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
A friend of my parents overheard an anti-Semitic remark in Garden City. So maybe it's a good choice?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Locust Valley, Oyster Bay, The Brookvilles, Center Island, Garden City, Manhassett. Lattingtown.

They are still there.

Look at the clubs, schools and churches that are still bastions of old WASP money. Greenvale School, Portlege, East Woods private schools.

Clubs - Piping Rock, Sweanaka Corinthian, The Creek.

Churches - St. John's of Lattingtown, Christ Episcopal, Oyster Bay, Manhasset Congregational Church, the Dutch Reformed Church on Ryefield Road. Locust Valley.

There is still an old guard WASP presence on Long Island, at least.

Growing up in Oyster Bay, I attended public school. Two of my friends (who could have attended private schools) had "coming out parties". I'd say Oyster Bay of the 60s 70s and 80s was at least 1/3 rd WASP (I'm a white Protestant, but WASP conveys something entirely different to me.)

Now my guess is that it's more like a 1/4. Not because they have moved, though.
Others have moved in. They are still there.

Restrictive covenants in places such as Garden City, effectively kept out non-Christians for years. The North Shore LIRR service was infamously kept slow and inefficient to restrict "new money ethnics" from wanting to relocate to those North Shore hamlets.

Old 05-27-2014, 02:58 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Locust Valley, Oyster Bay, The Brookvilles, Center Island, Garden City, Manhassett. Lattingtown.

They are still there.

Look at the clubs, schools and churches that are still bastions of old WASP money. Greenvale School, Portlege, East Woods private schools.

Clubs - Piping Rock, Sweanaka Corinthian, The Creek.

Churches - St. John's of Lattingtown, Christ Episcopal, Oyster Bay, Manhasset Congregational Church, the Dutch Reformed Church on Ryefield Road. Locust Valley.

There is still an old guard WASP presence on Long Island, at least.

Growing up in Oyster Bay, I attended public school. Two of my friends (who could have attended private schools) had "coming out parties". I'd say Oyster Bay of the 60s 70s and 80s was at least 1/3 rd WASP (I'm a white Protestant, but WASP conveys something entirely different to me.)

Now my guess is that it's more like a 1/4. Not because they have moved, though.
Others have moved in. They are still there.

Restrictive covenants in places such as Garden City, effectively kept out non-Christians for years. The North Shore LIRR service was infamously kept slow and inefficient to restrict "new money ethnics" from wanting to relocate to those North Shore hamlets.

I have never seen a wasp, or may have but just did not know.
Are wasps the royal family equivalent class in the US? Do they inbreed only? How to identify wasps? any special features/looks/attires? In a way, orthodox/hasidic jews do us a favor by wearing distinctive clothes.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
WASP= Old Money. Fieldston area of Riverdale used to be a wasp area many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City