Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:23 AM

116 posts, read 234,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I'm sorry but I'm just getting the vibe from people posting that Woodhaven "ain't what it used to be." Which does not necessarily indicate that it's a "bad" neighborhood. I'm not saying it's a good area, but I'm not convinced that it's as bad as you guys are making it out to be. Just IMHO.

I am currently living in Woodhaven, Have been living in this town my whole life. Has the QOL gone down? I would definitely say yes but that is due to the fact many people are just renting and they pack a house in. My neighbors across the street from me have turned that house into a motel. If you get involved with the block association like I have we have banded together in stopping loud parties.

The place is working class and for that matter it was always a working class community. Take out the drunk Irish/Italians and put in the Drunk PR/Dominicans instead.

I walk through the avenue all the time and these kids are wannabees and there pants to the ground. Trust me these people are nothing! Bushwick is being gentrified and so is Ridgewood, the hipsters are taking over sections of BK and pushing people further into Queens but its only a matter of time when this area will boom again.

The 102 pct is an absolute joke, They are more Richmond Hill based and we really havent had a solid pct to call our own.

The houses are old and I personally blame slum lords for not fixing them or at least planting some flowers. People up the block from me fixed there houses and it looks beautiful but there front lawn is in shambles.. SMH... Why invest all that money and then leave your front house with weeds??

Is Woodhaven Beverly Hills NO... Is Woodhaven Co-Op City in the Bronx - NO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:31 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post
I am currently living in Woodhaven, Have been living in this town my whole life. Has the QOL gone down? I would definitely say yes but that is due to the fact many people are just renting and they pack a house in. My neighbors across the street from me have turned that house into a motel. If you get involved with the block association like I have we have banded together in stopping loud parties.

The place is working class and for that matter it was always a working class community. Take out the drunk Irish/Italians and put in the Drunk PR/Dominicans instead.

I walk through the avenue all the time and these kids are wannabees and there pants to the ground. Trust me these people are nothing! Bushwick is being gentrified and so is Ridgewood, the hipsters are taking over sections of BK and pushing people further into Queens but its only a matter of time when this area will boom again.

The 102 pct is an absolute joke, They are more Richmond Hill based and we really havent had a solid pct to call our own.

The houses are old and I personally blame slum lords for not fixing them or at least planting some flowers. People up the block from me fixed there houses and it looks beautiful but there front lawn is in shambles.. SMH... Why invest all that money and then leave your front house with weeds??

Exactly my point... And at joe looks like your reading skills really suck... Never did I say Ridgewood was a bad area I was talking about Bushwick and you're retarded comparison of Bushwick to Woodhaven. For someone who talks about living in East NY, you're statement that Woodhaven is hood makes me laugh... And stop acting like a wannabe thug... If you're in your 30s grow the **** up already and stop trying so hard. I know what it is. I grew up in East NY and made my mistakes but the difference between you and me is that I don't hype up that **** cause that's ignorant. Grow up and move on. And best believe I know Bushwick like the back of my hand. I've lived here for close to fifteen years on the borderline and I've seen the changes. And East Williamsburg border aside, Bushwick hasn't changed that much...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:33 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times
And for the record Nostrand is bed-stuy... Get your facts straight buddy.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To the part I highlighted thanks for clarifying... Didn't realize you were the only real new yorker posting on here... We lived in East NY up until 92'... I think I would know what areas are actually bad and Woodhaven ain't it. We lived on top of that bodega on Pitkin between jerome and barbey when we finally moved out and moved to Woodhaven when it was already deteriorating...

What you don't understand is that I don't disagree with you in that Woodhaven looks like ****... That area looks like a toilet bowl and some parts I'd even say look worse than Cypress Hills... But crime you can't compare... And my man, don't talk about Bushwick like you know what it is cause you really don't. I've lived in Ridgewood for over 15 years borderline Bushwick and from what i'm seeing right now... Bushwick 2012 is worse than Bushwick 2007... Crime is on the rise in the neighborhood and there's been alot of shootouts, thefts, and muggings around here. It might look cleaner in parts than woodhaven since they're trying to revitalize the neighborhood for the poor white hipsters but don't let that fool you. It's still the hood by a long shot and it's still a long way from being a decent neighborhood...

And @ seventh floor I agree with your statement 1000%. Walk around the area they were talking about being the worst. You will literally fall from laughter coming from Arverne when you see the type of people they are labeling as "hood"
agreed with every point!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchFrost View Post

I definitely agree with the quality of life of issue due to the rooming houses. That part I totally get. But when people start comparing it to Bushwick, ENY, that's what I have a problem with. It's nowhere on that level.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

116 posts, read 234,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I definitely agree with the quality of life of issue due to the rooming houses. That part I totally get. But when people start comparing it to Bushwick, ENY, that's what I have a problem with. It's nowhere on that level.

I totally agree with you, This neighborhood will never become Bushwick. As long as the majority of people own there homes it wont be a dump. The problem is slum lords who own property and rent it out to Section 8 people and others turn a 3 bed room into a 5 bed room apartment. A majority of people are from South America and are hard working and keep quiet. The small % cause problems! The Middle Easterners are the least cause of worry. They have the 9/11 burden every where they go They wont cause any problems with you.

Forest Park is walking distance and that plays a HUGE role in the neighborhood. The People who own around park lane south from Woodhaven to Richmond Hill have all battled to keep prostitution out of the woods. Kids and families ride on the trail as well as horses.

I refuse to believe we are turning into the South Bronx when there is too much value in property for it to turn to crap. Especially with the J/Z line and express buses on the Blvd making it easier to travel to Manhattan. I see it gentrifying in the next 10 years.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,976,059 times
Woodhaven is indeed not like Bushwick and ENY, that's a fact. The exaggerations here is beyond ridiculous. LOL.. Walk around for hours touring in those 2 latter neighborhoods and then the former and you'll see and feel the differences. That's if you dare, I have!

In my opinion, Walking under the El above Jamaica Ave in Woodhaven is like walking under the El around Roosevelt Ave.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:57 PM

518 posts, read 1,580,203 times
whoa

Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,152 times
I have seen 2 sides of Woodhaven. My family moved from ENY in 1975. That was pretty bad. We moved to the Ozone Park/Woodhaven border. Neighborhood was mostly Irish German Italian Polish then. A sprinkling of middle class Latinos. Solid Middle class and safe at night. Good variety of stores and restaurants. Good place to grow up and be a kid. I moved to the Lincoln Center area of the UWS in 1985. My father is still there in the same house. Our block has changed a little but half of it stayed the same. He has the same next door neighbors from then...well on the right they have been there from 1977.
Growing up I hung out in Woodhaven because thats where half my friends were from. It wasnt Mayberry. There was some drug dealing and robberies but overall a good place. I wanted to live in the city...hated comuting with the crowded bus and trains. I would come by to visit my family and I saw over the years how things were changing. People were moving to LI and upstate. The new people coming in were poorer and/or darker. Mostly Immigrants and renters.
My dad started to need help and I was too far away....so I moved back to Woodhaven in 2003. My husband is from LI. He hates it. Calls it a slum. There are still many nice people of all kinds here but they are poor and struggling. Most of the stores that were here for a long time are gone. 5 Brothers Market closed and moved to Oceanside. Lewis of Woodhaven has been gone awhile. Recently the Carvel closed. Marquee Video closed. Jasons Toys closed. Even the Orthopedic Shoe place is gone. Everything is now Delis, 99cent Stores and Nail Salons. One poster said they thought it was gentrifing. That boat sailed a long time ago. People who can afford to go someplace else will. Its not a terrible place but nothing like it was either. Definitely dirtier and noisy but better than some. I think its better than where your parents are but it wouldnt be my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City