Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,556 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hi ! I don’t know if I’m writing in the right place.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I’m an Italian girl and I’ve find this forum searching in the web.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I will be in New York city for my honey moon from the 3 to the 7 september 2012 , I hope that those days will come soon and I hope that you can help me.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We would like to do the things that you do, also if is impossible, we would like to feel us Americans, also for few days.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I've visit some web sites, Time Out New York for example, but I don’t know which activity or events choose for the evenings , so, I think that it is best to ask directly to you[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Can you help me please ?! What do you advise me ?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]We love also sports, we would like to see a match of NY Yankees for example, but I know that there aren’t matches during those days.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I hope someone help me and I apologize if I bothered writing here.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thank you[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Bye Bye[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:56 PM

43,330 posts, read 44,045,471 times
There are many things that you can do in the evening. For example you can visit the Empire State Building for a beautiful night time view. The Empire State Building is open until 2AM. Other options are that you can go see a Broadway musical show or go to a Jazz club. It all depends on what you are interested in.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Default Ideas for the evening

Thank you for having responded to me !
We shall go to the Empire State Building, I've already bought the NY city pass.
We prefere not to go to musical show because probably we will not be able to understand everything they say, we do not speak and understand you language very well.
We'd like to go to a Jazz club , which you reccomend ?
I saw that there is Staten Island Yankees' game, you think it's nice if we see it ?!
and... what is you favorite restaurant ?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,134,025 times
The Mets are playing home on the 7th vs the Braves. That's always possible in Queens. Empire State Building. Katz Deli. Times Square. Central Park. The Village at night. Rooftop bars. Pick one of the many many resturants.

Come on now, it's NYC. There is ALWAYS something to do in the evening. Just pick the places that you have always heard about and go visit.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM

43,330 posts, read 44,045,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyJ86 View Post
We prefere not to go to musical show because probably we will not be able to understand everything they say, we do not speak and understand you language very well.
I saw that there is Staten Island Yankees' game, you think it's nice if we see it ?!
I recommend the Blue Note Jazz club which is located in the Village.
See Blue Note Jazz Club New York .

As for a restaurant I recommend Virgil's (http://www.virgilsbbq.com/) which has barbecue the style of the southern part of the USA.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:14 AM

3,798 posts, read 4,648,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyJ86 View Post
Staten Island Yankees are a lower level minor league team for the Yankees. The stadium is right next to the St George Terminal in SI.

Its' not hard to find but does require you to take the subway all the way down to South ferry, then a 30 minute ferry ride. So it could end up taking up 4-5 hours of your time while visiting (game might last 3 hours). So I'm not sure you'd wanna waste your time doing that since it's just a minor league game. You won't know any of the players names and the talent isn't quite up there like the major leaguers.

I would recommend going to a Mets game if the Yankees aren't in town. You'll spend a lot more but you'll also be in huge stadium seeing professional players and some great action.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Thanks to all for your helpful advice.
I have written the names of the restaurants that you reccomended.
Probably we're going to watch the mats' match on Friday, I saw that is not har to go to Citi Field, I just take the
7 subway to Willets Point.
If you think some other advice, it's welcome obviously .
Thanks againg to all.

Bye Bye

Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,479,027 times
Time Out is good, and you also might want to get one or two guidebooks, which you can mark and carry around with you.

The Empire State Building can be fun at night. Also, some nights museums are open. Of course, there are concerts, too. It's also nice just to walk around in different parts of town, such as the West Village or Chinatown. You might also like to go for a drink somewhere high up with views.

It is true that barbecue is a particular kind of American regional food, but I'm not sure that I'd particularly recommend Virgil's; I think there are better places. I'm guessing that Blue Smoke, for instance, is probably better. Katz's is one of the best, and surely the most famous, of New York delicatessens. There is a website specifically about food called Chowhound. You can ask questions there, but you have to ask specific questions, or else they may ignore you. If you just ask, "What are good restaurants?" no one will want to bother with a general question like that.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:46 PM

Hi cida !!
I have a guidebook but I preferred to seek advice from locals :-)
I have written the "blue smoke" on my notes.
Thank you for writing of the site "chowhound", I did not know him , It looks very interesting !
I'll keep an eye on the various reviews.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 AM

108 posts, read 284,753 times
You might want to have a drink at the top of the Standard Hotel in Greenwich Village (848 Washington Street). Great views of the city and Hudson River, and there's a rooftop lounge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City