U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Is opened fire hydran a sign of ghetto?
Yes. 41 54.67%
No. 26 34.67%
Not sure. 8 10.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 PM

443 posts, read 661,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
there's a lot of poverty in nyc.
everyone is not rich, ya know?
You don't need to be rich to own a fan or get some ice.

As far as it being legal, it's also legal to wear your pants below your draws or play rap music from your cell phone on the bus or subway. Doesn't mean it's not ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,536,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
You don't need to be rich to own a fan or get some ice.

As far as it being legal, it's also legal to wear your pants below your draws or play rap music from your cell phone on the bus or subway. Doesn't mean it's not ghetto.
Are you saying that things associated with black or urban culture are ghetto? And when people are throwing around the term like this, do they really mean to say "poor black people"?

Wearing pants below your butt is a clothing style worn by young people (which for the record, I think is the stupidest thing ever, looks absolutely ridiculous and have often wanted to shout "PULL UP YOUR DAMN PANTS!") but it is not "ghetto" in the demeaning sense that you seem to be using it. Yes, it is a fashion style that has originated with [black] urban youth but above all it's a fashion style that has come into play in recent years and is even worn by Justin Bieber and other popular musicians. Much in the same way how when I was a teen, ripped jeans and ripped clothing were popular. My parents hated the ripped jeans look and thought it looked trashy and "poor" and didn't understand why I would dress like that and that "I'd never get a job dressed like that!" The saggy pants thing, just like the ripped jeans thing, is a fashion statement used by youth culture to distinguish themselves from adults. With every generation there is always a style that emerges that we 'grown folk' think is ridiculous.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,495,204 times
You don't need to be rich to get a metrodcard and go to the beach, or pay entrance at a public swimming pool.
I don't get people that want to condone this behavior as purely "harmless fun".

Old 07-09-2012, 03:28 PM

933 posts, read 936,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You don't need to be rich to get a metrodcard and go to the beach, or pay entrance at a public swimming pool.
Exactly. Like you are a bad person for denying poor people their 'right' to open hydrants without a sprinkler cap. Because how else will they cool off, you know? It's called a shower... it's what civilized people use (as opposed to animals).

Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,536,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Hmm, hanging out at the beach when it's 100+ degrees with 100% humidity is horrible. The pools are really overcrowded. A fan won't do anything but blow around warm air (LOL). Staying inside with A/C is the best way to keep cool when it is *that* hot. As many have pointed out, A/C and the electricity to run it, is expensive...

Cracking fire hydrants is basically a "nuisance crime" (as is litter, loud music, dog poop, loitering...) nobody is getting hurt but to those not involved it's annoying.

By the way, check out this pic from 1949 of some "harmless fun". Seems that the fire hydrant "water park" has been a summer staple in all NYC neighborhoods for well over 50 years...

Then and Now Thursday: Beating the Heat on Carroll Street,*1949 - HOME - Here's Park Slope.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,495,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Hmm, hanging out at the beach when it's 100+ degrees with 100% humidity is horrible. The pools are really overcrowded. A fan won't do anything but blow around warm air (LOL). Staying inside with A/C is the best way to keep cool when it is *that* hot. As many have pointed out, A/C and the electricity to run it, is expensive...

Cracking fire hydrants is basically a "nuisance crime" (as is litter, loud music, dog poop, loitering...) nobody is getting hurt but to those not involved it's annoying.

By the way, check out this pic from 1949 of some "harmless fun". Seems that the fire hydrant "water park" has been a summer staple in all NYC neighborhoods for well over 50 years...

Then and Now Thursday: Beating the Heat on Carroll Street,*1949 - HOME - Here's Park Slope.
Those are lame excuses to condone this type of behavior. This is a problem, because it makes people think 'it's ok' to waste perfectly drinkable water at the expense of everyone else. It's not...

As for the beach being horrible on a super hot day, I gotta tell you. It's much better than being
in the city where the buildings block any wind and the pavement reflects the heat from the sun.
I much rather be under the shade of an unmbrella, getting some sea breeze and going into the water when I get too hot than being a nuisance to neighbors and everyone who passes by.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,544,017 times
I am kinda on the fence on this one. There was a time when sitting out on your stoops was what people did, now it's called "loitering" and gates are in place in many places to keep people fromt doing it. There was a time when cooling off in fire hydrants was a working class thing to do, now it's viewed as ghetto.

While I generally agree it is viewed as ghetto, I think the occasional romp through the fire hydrant on a hot day keeps me grounded and reminds me of what NYC WAS about. However, I will say having entire families sitting in beach chairs and BBQing on the sidewalk in front of "their" building annoys me to no end, and having hydrants open ALL the time, while grown adults in pajamas (at best) are throwing themselves in their IS ghetto.

I guess the difference is how these things are performed, rather than the fact that they are, which is with most things I guess. Taking your kids through the fire hydrant on a hot day and then closing it when people are done can be fun, as can sitting on stoops chatting with neighbors, unfortunately people don't know how to do these things anymore, so they are now "ghetto." Such is life...evolution.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:42 PM

8,483 posts, read 7,716,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I am kinda on the fence on this one. There was a time when sitting out on your stoops was what people did, now it's called "loitering" and gates are in place in many places to keep people fromt doing it. There was a time when cooling off in fire hydrants was a working class thing to do, now it's viewed as ghetto.

While I generally agree it is viewed as ghetto, I think the occasional romp through the fire hydrant on a hot day keeps me grounded and reminds me of what NYC WAS about. However, I will say having entire families sitting in beach chairs and BBQing on the sidewalk in front of "their" building annoys me to no end, and having hydrants open ALL the time, while grown adults in pajamas (at best) are throwing themselves in their IS ghetto.

I guess the difference is how these things are performed, rather than the fact that they are, which is with most things I guess. Taking your kids through the fire hydrant on a hot day and then closing it when people are done can be fun, as can sitting on stoops chatting with neighbors, unfortunately people don't know how to do these things anymore, so they are now "ghetto." Such is life...evolution.
thinking the same thing.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 AM

11,283 posts, read 11,006,133 times
Quote:
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a race thing as it usually does.

We're just a calling a spade, a spade. That's all.

ROFL ROFL...
I LOVE the dichotomy between those two lines. ROFL

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM

944 posts, read 350,650 times
its always been ghetto. It the poor mans pool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City